• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Why Microsoft isnt Bashing Apple?

majortom1981    242
Actually I didn't, but I can understand where you might think I would because even Apple fanboys seem to get this one wrong. Earlier this year at the D5 Conference (Podcast available 5/30/2007 here), Steve Jobs specifically says that Apple IS a software company.

BUT it isn't a lie though. It does come with a webcam. If you go to Apple and you buy an iMac, it comes with a webcam out of the box. That isn't an option you can turn off when purchasing an iMac. Dell computers don't come with one by default (unless it is one of those package deals). So the ad isn't lying.

It is a lie when the ad is bashing MICROSOFT for not having a webcam out of the box when in reality microsoft is only the OS not the whole PC.

Then if you state well they are bashing the PC in general then you bring in Linux to the whole debate.

markjensen    101
It is a lie when the ad is bashing MICROSOFT for not having a webcam out of the box when in reality microsoft is only the OS not the whole PC.

Then if you state well they are bashing the PC in general then you bring in Linux to the whole debate.

Can you accept the fact that many PCs are sold as separate components and many of these are optional and not included?

If you can accept that fact, can you then accept that the Apple commercial is comparing itself to that example?

God, I am tired of people whining because an advert is (gasp!) biased to show their product in the best light.

majortom1981    242
Can you accept the fact that many PCs are sold as separate components and many of these are optional and not included?

If you can accept that fact, can you then accept that the Apple commercial is comparing itself to that example?

God, I am tired of people whining because an advert is (gasp!) biased to show their product in the best light.

Can you accept that the ads are bashing MICROSOFT when Microsoft is just the os and not the whole PC?

Pretend    1

The ads are true, I belive what they say about Vista but I still use a Vista, Apple come of kinda needy from the ad imo, and If you want a Mac OS you Need a Mac :/ So it troubles you of getting rid of the PC or.... having 2 .

+LogicalApex    1,747
Well you're wrong there. First off, you buy those things as an option on a Windows box from Dell and it comes with the OS from Apple. Apple isn't a hardware company, they are a software company. Steve Jobs has said this plenty of times, people, even Apple fanboys ignore him though.

Windows Vista Home Premium - $219.99 (Newegg)

Mac OS X Leopard - $109.99 (Newegg)

Better deal seems like Leopard, which comes with so much right out of the box. And it just works.

You're quite wrong... Apple is more of a hardware company than a software company... If they were truely a software company their solutions would be more aligned with MS and be device agnostic. Their major software products are tied to Apple hardware (whether or not directly manufactured by Apple is irrelavent) products to increase the sales of those hardware products.

A "better deal" isn't always reflected in the price tag of something... You can quote the retail price of Windows and Mac OS until your eyes bleed, but that doesn't show me which one is a better value; just which is cheaper. Since I can't run the software I need to run on Mac OS (and don't talk about boot camp or other crap that would make me buy 2 OSs to run 1) it doesn't work out to be cheaper for me...

Also... The Apple vs PC ads lie quite often!

Let's just mention a few I've seen...

Their Podium and PR Lady ads talked about people downgrading Vista for XP while "Leopard Just Works"... Though they don't mention the early adopters for Leopard also downgrading due to some pretty nasty Leopard bugs (like the one shutting off keyboards randomly, for instance).

Their Stuffed ad talks about PCs coming with trialware that bogs the machine down while then claiming macs don't come with any of that just iLife. This isn't a Windows issue and is an OEM issue and doesn't affect all Windows machines. Some OEMs ship with zero trial software. Also, iLife looks like it costs $80?

Their Tech Support ad talks about an integrated camera being in Macs and not in PCs... Again not a Windows or "PC" issue as it varies by OEM and model...

I don't think I need to go go on...

Tuffgong4    0

first of all who cares. If people need to be so whole heartedly behind an operating system or company then they need to get more going on in their life. Microsoft creates good products, Apple creates good products and they market them.

I will always own a mac laptop and a windows desktop when I buy my next laptop (which will be a mac) but getting all excited or defensive about an operating system or a computer is just plain idiotic. there is good and bad to both, but just relax.

Simon    177

Show me where in the ad they mention "Microsoft" or "Windows", and I'll listen. It isn't "bashing" Linux either, it's "bashing" (used loosely) the standard, non-Apple computer. This ad is probably a year old, and to be honestm Apple seems to have brought built in webcams to the mainstream market. I didn't see built in webcams before the iMac/MacBook/MacBook Pro, and a year ago I couldn't go into Future Shop and use a laptop that was not designed by Apple, and use a webcam that wasn't wired through a USB port.

Debate the new ads all you want, but that one is old ;)

However, I do agree with the person who says that the Apple ads can be wrong. However, they're more or less stretching the truth and putting marketing spin on it, which is what companies do with aggressive ad campaigns.

Edited by simon360

Justin03248    0

The empire never sleeps... the reason they look like they're in suspended animation doing boring stuff like Service packs is that they're waiting for .NET 3.5 to be finished so they can code an entire GUI in 3d-accelerated managaed code (C# and M-C++)... they'll be able to code twice the amount of content in half the time. Currently with SP1, MS just wants Vista to use the same kernel as win server 2008 so they can code without switching between the two Windows products.

Cormier6083    0
Their Stuffed ad talks about PCs coming with trialware that bogs the machine down while then claiming macs don't come with any of that just iLife. This isn't a Windows issue and is an OEM issue and doesn't affect all Windows machines. Some OEMs ship with zero trial software. Also, iLife looks like it costs $80?

iLife comes with every new Macintosh. Doesn't cost you extra.

Apple-a-Day    1

Dell does not make the hardware.... they rebrand at best.. ever see a Dell HDD in the tower or a Dell vid card? They buy hardware (and at the failure rate I heard from customers,,,,,,,,so sad must be factory seconds) and put them in their boxes. Dell is neither a software nor a hardware company they are a manufacturing company, and as a OEM offer crappy support for the software they push on the customer. I?m not dissing Dell as such, but OEM's need to own up for the PC?s they sell on the whole, the buying public. Tool bars up the ying yang, demos, trials, bloatware. My Mac Mine had none of that, everything on the thing came with 100% support from apple. If I buy a MS os from a rebuilder I know that there is no support and anything I load on it... well I only blame myself if something screws up. Apple is not a software company they are a total solution provider, as they own up to the hardware and the software you get on it. I?m not a MAC fanboy, actually I am a outsource service provider for MS, both vendors have their kudos and downfalls. MS does not build the PC's the windows OS is distrobuted on, as if they were at 90 % of the market share it would be total ANTITRUST etc. It is what is its................ MS buids for every one at a cost of control. Apple builds with verified and tested common hardware for the best part. Use your head and try them both before you pass judgement, if you spend 30k on a car you drive all of them before you buy. If you choose and like your purchase then be happy, others have done the same. Give up on the zelot PC/VS Apple revolution, we all have the ability to like and dislike. So live with it!! Debate is good for the mind, preaching just is another way of venting without doing anything for your self

If you think you know all about a topic then at least grant yourself the benefit of the other side before you spout off. I touched a Apple and judged it as crap does not make you any more a expert than.. I used Windows all my life. Give all OS?s a genuine try before you preach! That way you come across as educated instead as just opinionated

Walk a mile in my binaries......................:blink: :blink: before yeh judge

Edited by Cansokid

Neo003    103

It is just more comfortable with vista because people have been using it for years. Adapting a new OS just like that takes a lot of effort which couple of ads bashing Vista doesn't change. For MS Mac OS is like an ant they just don't want to bother with such small stuff. I am pretty sure they are working on the next OS rather than bashing someone.

majortom1981    242
Show me where in the ad they mention "Microsoft" or "Windows", and I'll listen. It isn't "bashing" Linux either, it's "bashing" (used loosely) the standard, non-Apple computer. This ad is probably a year old, and to be honestm Apple seems to have brought built in webcams to the mainstream market. I didn't see built in webcams before the iMac/MacBook/MacBook Pro, and a year ago I couldn't go into Future Shop and use a laptop that was not designed by Apple, and use a webcam that wasn't wired through a USB port.

Debate the new ads all you want, but that one is old ;)

However, I do agree with the person who says that the Apple ads can be wrong. However, they're more or less stretching the truth and putting marketing spin on it, which is what companies do with aggressive ad campaigns.

The new ads specifically state vista

freak_power    0

Why not...

here is something funny lol

PricklyPoo    9

How does the mac coming with a webcam make it a good deal? For the price of a Mac I could buy a faster normal pc and 5 webcams.

qdave    159

microsoft is not childish. and they have a lot of business with corporations, so its not really necessary.

Cormier6083    0
How does the mac coming with a webcam make it a good deal? For the price of a Mac I could buy a faster normal pc and 5 webcams.

Show me, and I'll buy it. :)

phantasmorph    1
You're quite wrong... Apple is more of a hardware company than a software company... If they were truely a software company their solutions would be more aligned with MS and be device agnostic. Their major software products are tied to Apple hardware (whether or not directly manufactured by Apple is irrelavent) products to increase the sales of those hardware products.

I don't think I need to go go on...

Did you bother to read the link posted?

The big secret about Apple, of course?not-so-big secret maybis that Apple views itself as a software company and there aren?t very many software companies left, and Microsoft is a software company. And so, you know, we look at what they do and we think some of it?s really great, and we think a little bit of it?s competitive and most of it?s not. You know, we don?t have a belief that the Mac is going to take over 80% of theYou know, we?re really happy when our market share goes up a point and we love that and we work real hard at it, but Apple?s fundamentally a software company and there?s not a lot of us left and Microsoft?s one of them.??s one of them.?

Jobs could do quite well as a luxury car salesman, since that's essentially all he is for Apple. He sells products, and those products are marketed to an ego-centric, often materialistic chic crowd. Everything about the products and advertising Apple does revolves around the concept that the person using the>better, smarter, better than those that use a generic Wintel PC. They buy Apple products as the price of admission into this hip subculture. The snobs of the geek world. I use my system because of what tasks I can perform on it, be it *nix or Windows. I no longer buy or support Apple products, not so much because of the value or performance of the systems themselves, but because I cannot stomach to force myself to deal with the typical Apple user when I have a question or an issue with something. I will not fund that sort of mentality with my wallet. Which is unfortunate. If Apple, and their fans, could show some sort of humility without looking like pompous pr*cks the majority of the time, maybe that could change. I'm sure I'm not alone in thinking this way.

Simon    177
The new ads specifically state vista

However, they state nothing related to hardware. The most recent round of ads is different; they aren't aimed at PC's, but Windows as an OS, mainly because Apple just released Leopard. The old ads were while Apple updated their hardware.

I did ask where in the webcam ad they mentioned Microsoft or Windows.

Kudos    51

If Microsoft were to launch an ad campaign against Apple, they would simply being telling the world "Apple scares us." They are NOT going to do that until they absolutely have to. Similar to how for the longest time they just ignored linux, seemingly feeling that by not mentioning linux as a competitor (or at all), consumers would not investigate linux further.

spenser.d    1,100
Windows Vista Home Premium - $219.99 (Newegg)

Mac OS X Leopard - $109.99 (Newegg)

Better deal seems like Leopard, which comes with so much right out of the box. And it just works.

Mac OS_ - $110 each year.

Windows OS _ - $220 for 4 or 5 years.

And Mac's do not 'just work'. I go to college, plenty of people have Macs here, and plenty of them have problems.

-Spenser

intrinity1    7
+1. Apple just have to resort to that kind of thing to pick up new fans.. because it's "cool."

MS should do a commercial of thousands of "I'm a PC" guys standing next to 1 "I'm a Mac" guy. They wouldn't even have to say anything and I'm sure that will prove a point to the apple guys.

phantasmorph    1
MS should do a commercial of thousands of "I'm a PC" guys standing next to 1 "I'm a Mac" guy. They wouldn't even have to say anything and I'm sure that will prove a point to the apple guys.

I think another good ad would be to have the PC completely ignoring the Mac guy, because the PC guy is too busy playing a game...

Simon    177

Not really, I use a Mac because I like it. I honestly couldn't care less how much market share it had; if it ran on a PC, it would have higher market share, but we all know why that won't happen, and I'm perfectly happy to fork out the cash for an Apple computer.

Kudos    51

Clearly you don't understand Apples demographic, they *want* to be different, it's their damn slogan!