Why Microsoft isnt Bashing Apple?

Very good post, I agree. MRT2

One the bashing of either side thou, one question, do you think most Mac users will have also used Windows machine pretty much, more so than most windows users, many of who (unless they work in graphics or publishing) might not have touched a mac or not reguarly anyway.

I've not used Vista, but usually its the very small things that are now different between both OS, but it is horses for courses, using ASP, I'd use windows, php, even thou I can install Apache and Xamp I still prefer to use OSX where it comes preinstalled, seems a more natural enviroment with it being from the Unix/BSD/ family of OS's

There are millions of people for whom none of them have been true. There's this thing called a "vocal minority". You'll probably never hear a single peep from the millions of average people using it without issues (Except for me, because I'm on neowin.) But those few that do, you can bet they'll complain.

+1 Totally true.

These things that are 'wrong' with Vista... a lot are personal preference issues. And the things in Apples ads that are 'blatantly true' are OPINIONS not truths... people seem to not realize that opionions and facts are different things... no matter how many people have one opinion.

Leo Laporte, and a few people I know (Mac users) like vista, I find they like Vista better than the Windows users, I thought I'd just put that in there.

http://blogs.zdnet.com/microsoft/?p=982

I could well believe that.

OSX --> XP

unless modified, XP looks clunky and lego box like

OSX - Vista

Almost twins

I don't know if this is true for others, but unless I get a new machine (doubtful for many years) get it installed on a works machine, I probably won't be using Vista for quite a long time. I don't think I will upgrade my laptop even if it is powerful enough, it seem windows users only upgrade with new machines, oterwise they stick with their current OS

Mac users on the other hand, do seem to upgrade there OS often.

Those minor differences being huge performance issues? :laugh: I don't have any issues running OS X 10.5 on the same hardware I ran 10.4 on, can't same the same for Vista vs. XP though.

And before you say it is my hardware like everyone else, I have an Intel Core 2 Duo with 2GB of RAM, so it isn't the hardware.

One computer I've mentioned elsewhere started out as a 1GHz athlon tbird, 512 MB ram and windows ME. with nothing more than a bump to an athlon 2000+ and another 512 MB of ram, and a few years on XP pro in the middle.

It runs vista ultimate just fine, albeit without the aero interface- which was rectified by the FX5200 I added a few months ago.

So, if I can take a computer from ME to Vista and only spend 250 on the hardware to upgrade it along the way- to a hardware level far below your's by the way...

... there is something wrong with something and it's not my hardware.

otherwise,

sorry you couldn't figure out the issues.

nevermind, this bores me.

Yet those who do buy into it are very content with their purchase.

Great, but that's not what this topic is about. The topic was about Apple's lies, or at the very least, truth-stretching.

Each to their own. I reading this with my Xp laptop cause I'm doing some ASP learning, I prefer my Mac running Leopard but they both have good and bad points. I don't see then need to degerate people who want to use what they want to.

Me neither, but then it seems Apple disagrees. Their ads do nothing to promote Macs, and everything to denigrate PCs/Windows. It's like they're saying, "Buy the lesser of 2 evils, Apple!", instead of, "We're great because fillintheblankhere." Imagine a Burger King ad that was only about how they're not McDonald's, instead of why they're Burger King. Seems stupid, doesn't it?

Imagine a Burger King ad that was only about how they're not McDonald's, instead of why they're Burger King. Seems stupid, doesn't it?

More like Burger King making a commercial how they flame-broil instead of icky fried in its own grease.

Oh wait. They had comercials like that! :p

More like Burger King making a commercial how they flame-broil instead of icky fried in its own grease.

Oh wait. They had comercials like that! :p

I can live with that, they're making a point of what makes them a superior product. If their only point was that McDo fried in their own grease without making the comparison of their procedure, then it would be stupid also.

Yes, Joel, but what about the lies and fud that Microsoft sprewed about Linux and still do in regards to the patent issues.

While this doesn't absolve Apple, lets not make out that MS is innocent.

I don't like the new Vista ad very much, but the I am PC and I'm Mac I think are pretty fun and as too lies, hmmm, while it might be bending and making fun, I don't think they are full blown lies. You may disagree, but then as with Apple is just your own personal opinion.

Microsoft does not need to resort to bashing to beat Apple. They already have 90% of the market share. Apple on the other hand, led by Steve jobs are rather pathetic and have questionable by of doing thing. Spreading lies and the infamous Mac Guy vs PC Guy are just the top of the ice-berg.

For a $1000, i could pretty much buy a PC system that could beat the top-of-the-line Macs out there.

Yes, Joel, but what about the lies and fud that Microsoft sprewed about Linux and still do in regards to the patent issues.

While this doesn't absolve Apple, lets not make out that MS is innocent.

Can you show me advertising of this? I'd like to see it.

Can you show me advertising of this? I'd like to see it.

I'm sorry this is where it starts to descend into farce.

Fair enough, many of you don't like the Apple ads and think they are wrong and as such feel inclined to slam them for it, as I said fair enough.

But when some of you rather bury you're heads in the sand in regard to dubious antics by MS in regards to the opposition Operating systems and companies, then well this topic just descends into a pointless bashing thread.

Bash Apple over them, but both sides have to keep their minds open and even and not let their fan-ship off either side cloud their judgement.

As to ads, I don't know but I read many many articles and new storys and press conferences by MS, in you are somehow trying to make out these are not as bad as Adverts, well that is your own personal opinion, in my mind they are at the very least as bad, one the Apple ads are humourous exaggeration, the MS against Linux was down right FUD

my favorite commercial is when the mac is talking about the fun things it can do but the windows guy says he can do spreadsheets and count. As if anyone with half a brain actually believes theres no games on a pc LOL

Please skip if you are a fanboy of Mac or apple products.
most of what the mac adds say about vista are true

you cant deny that without looking stupid

wow.... -3 for you.

-1 for not bothering to read the first line of the first post, and -1 for being a fanboy(in general), and -1 for what you said, which is completely wrong and only makes you look stupid.

i only read the first page so im not sure if this has been said but...

they aren't going to advertise against because they hold 90% of the market, AND!!!!!!!!!! i would assume the majority of mac owners are running boot camp, so ... even if you own a mac they will profit they dont need to spend money trying to convince you to go back to a PC...when they could just advertise there OS, or spend the money on there next OS.

Imagine a Burger King ad that was only about how they're not McDonald's, instead of why they're Burger King. Seems stupid, doesn't it?
Not really. It is a business tactic and it has paid off for Apple, more and more people are buying Apple products, including their Macs. Shareholders don't care how Apple makes the money (legally) as long as their making money. I'm content :)

Of course I own stock in both Microsoft and Apple, so it is a win-win for me. Subway use to have ads that were similar to Apple's. They made fun of McDonald's and Burger King for having unhealthy food and barely mentioned their own products (through a 30 second ad, 25 seconds were dedicated to the competitors food and not their own).

Slightly off topic here but would like to ask a question (mods delete if you wish)...

Where would Apple be right now if they didn't have the iPod/iTunes?

Vista is crap - and I whole heartidly say this as a person who holds an Ultimate Edition non-OEM version in my hand.

I don't. Infact the only time I use Vista nowadays is to test whether one of their ..

I have a copy of RETAIL Vista Home premium, will be buying Ultimate in Jan & also Retail office 2007.

Laptop has preinstalled + a OEM DVD.

Vista will take time to get good...alike people bashing XP when it was released in 2001..they called XP has a resource hog!

Not really. It is a business tactic and it has paid off for Apple, more and more people are buying Apple products, including their Macs.

If someone has bought a Mac based on the Mac vs. PC ads, they're a moron. Clueless. Needs help crossing streets. Toilets present major logistical problems to them.

Note: I did not say ALL Mac users are these people, just the ones who fell for the "points" in the ads. Like

Slightly off topic here but would like to ask a question (mods delete if you wish)...

Where would Apple be right now if they didn't have the iPod/iTunes?

Probably OoB.

The original iMac was a fresh design, but Apple's bread and butter is the iPod - they didn't change their name from Apple Computer to Apple for nothing.

Apple's computers are actually getting stale IMO - marginal speed bumps, or outdated technology (the Mac Pro, wow, a 7300 standard as the video option), I don't fit into the AIO category, and the Mini could offer more bang for the buck too, and I say that, as I plan on getting one in a couple weeks.

And I work in the IT department at my university, and Apple should watch themselves, as Leopard hasn't been all it - for a system that only supports a limited set of hardware, quite a few of our Macs have had issues since they have upgraded from Tiger to Leopard.

Vista has its own issues thought, it's been doing bizarre things with the domains, like not staying joined properly, or not allowing domain passwords to be changed in some cases.

(the Mac Pro, wow, a 7300 standard as the video option),

I think Apple actually got whatever the last high-end Intel chip was before the other vendors, for some odd reason.

But you are correct, they've been lagging on graphics technology for quite some time -- And people are complain about Vista's graphics performance :wacko: