• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Why Microsoft isnt Bashing Apple?

spenser.d    1,100
Clearly you don't understand Apples demographic, they *want* to be different, it's their damn slogan!

Clearly you guys don't understand what a joke is :rolleyes:

-Spenser

Hurmoth    518
You're quite wrong... Apple is more of a hardware company than a software company...
I know it is difficult to read, but let's try this again: http://www.neowin.net/forum/index.php?show...#entry589023830. That's the CEO of Apple saying that Apple is a software company, not me, not Bill Gates saying and not you. I think I'm going to trust the man who says his own company is something that you seem to claim differently because you want to view them differently. But whatever...

Azusa    930

you asked "Why Microsoft isnt Bashing Apple?,"

i ask you do you normally bash that which you are going to take a bite of?

Cormier6083    0
I think another good ad would be to have the PC completely ignoring the Mac guy, because the PC guy is too busy playing a game...

Another good one would be where the Mac is getting work done and getting money, thus resulting in getting women.

Hurmoth    518
Mac OS_ - $110 each year.

Windows OS _ - $220 for 4 or 5 years.

And Mac's do not 'just work'. I go to college, plenty of people have Macs here, and plenty of them have problems.

-Spenser

Each year? Whatever...

Mac OS X 10.4 - Released April 29, 2005

Mac OS X 10.5 - Released October 26, 2007

30 months between releases. Oh and no one forced anyone to update to the newest OS either. ;)

AshMan    0

One word: CLASS.

+LogicalApex    1,747
Did you bother to read the link posted?

He could say the moon is made of cheese, that doesn't make it so!

A software company focuses on making... Well software! Apple isn't more of a software company than Garmin or Sony... They make their software to promote their hardware. That is the sole reason their software is locked to their hardware, as I said earlier. Irrespective of what Jobs might want to believe the reality just is that they are not primarily a software company.

A simpler way of looking at it is this way... Where do they draw the lion's share of their revenue? From their hardware or their software? The answer is simple... Their hardware...

Hurmoth    518

^ Him being the CEO of the company we're talking about makes it so. Why can't you get that. You can't compare someone saying the moon is made of cheese unless they made the moon. DUH! How about an intelligent argument here please.

spenser.d    1,100
Each year? Whatever...

30 months between releases. Oh and no one forced anyone to update to the newest OS either. ;)

Right, same goes both ways.

I do think the Apple marketing team is genius, but it is still a whole lot of FUD. Vista's just as good as OS 10.5, with minor differences between the two that make them marketable to different people.

-Spenser

Hurmoth    518
Right, same goes both ways.

I do think the Apple marketing team is genius, but it is still a whole lot of FUD. Vista's just as good as OSX, with minor differences between the two that make them marketable to different people.

-Spenser

Those minor differences being huge performance issues? :laugh: I don't have any issues running OS X 10.5 on the same hardware I ran 10.4 on, can't same the same for Vista vs. XP though.

And before you say it is my hardware like everyone else, I have an Intel Core 2 Duo with 2GB of RAM, so it isn't the hardware.

+LogicalApex    1,747
^ Him being the CEO of the company we're talking about makes it so. Why can't you get that. You can't compare someone saying the moon is made of cheese unless they made the moon. DUH! How about an intelligent argument here please.

Huh? Just because he says something doesn't make it gospel... The CEO of Boeing could come on MSNBC and say Boeing isn't an Airplane company and that it is a software company... After all, they custom code all of the software on their planes... That won't change the way their company is classified, because Wall Street classifies a company based on where it draws the lion's share of its REVENUE!

spenser.d    1,100
Those minor differences being huge performance issues? :laugh:

Uh, no, not really. I've heard plenty of people with not so great systems running Vista just swimmingly (including my brother, for which Vista 'just worked' from the get-go).

-Spenser

majortom1981    242

If apple was only a software company I would be able to buy leopard and install it on my pc without hacks.

.AlleymaN    0
Another good one would be where the Mac is getting work done and getting money, thus resulting in getting women.

Sure...Macs are getting the work done now. It's the user, not the OS which is productive. Let's also discount the fact that Apple has a miniscule share in the corporate world. I know Apple ads stretch the truth but this would be going a bit too far.

Prince Charming    163

Because that wouldn't directly contradict one of their previous ads picturing the PC as a boring office machine that does spreadsheets etc...

Each year? Whatever...

I don't recall any forced upgrade from XP to Vista. In fact, this PC is running Vista...PC downstairs is running XP. It's not like Microsoft decided they were going to immediately discontinue support for XP...they're doing SP3 after all. Theres no forcing whatsoever, don't be ridiculous.

Hurmoth    518
Huh? Just because he says something doesn't make it gospel... The CEO of Boeing could come on MSNBC and say Boeing isn't an Airplane company and that it is a software company... After all, they custom code all of the software on their planes... That won't change the way their company is classified, because Wall Street classifies a company based on where it draws the lion's share of its REVENUE!

That is two completely different things. Damn, I wonder sometimes if you even read the stuff you write.

phantasmorph    1

Don't you mean getting men?

Mordkanin    225
most of what the mac adds say about vista are true

you cant deny that without looking stupid

Actually you can. The real trick is posting what you just did without looking stupid. When you get the hang of it, you might want to tell some people. I think it'll be pretty interesting.

How is he not right. Tell me one thing in the Apple ads that isn't true.

Well, "Choose a Vista", for one. There are not 6 different editions offered to consumers. Go out into a store and find "Starter" or "Enterprise".

Or that one with the "cryptic errors"? Macs that crash don't even give error codes, unless you look in the system log. How is that not "cryptic"? And does OSX have anything like "Problems and Solutions", which can tell you how to fix things, even when 3rd party apps crash?

Or what about the 'iLife' one? Honestly, Vista comes with a bunch of great tools. The DVD Maker is actually pretty slick. Media Center basically destroys Front Row, and Windows Media Player is a great player.

Or "Meant for Work"? Uh. Hello? The gaming industry caters to Windows.

Ok. I'm not going through any more of the Wikipedia article, but you get my point.

Edited by MioTheGreat

Hurmoth    518
I don't recall any forced upgrade from XP to Vista. In fact, this PC is running Vista...PC downstairs is running XP. It's not like Microsoft decided they were going to immediately discontinue support for XP...they're doing SP3 after all. Theres no forcing whatsoever, don't be ridiculous.

I don't recall ever saying there was. Someone mentioned that there is a price for Mac OS X every year, I was pointing out the time frame from 10.4 to 10.5 being 30 months, a lot longer than 1 year.

Kudos    51

Apple sell two thousand dollar operating systems with a free computer :p

Hurmoth    518
Uh, no, not really. I've heard plenty of people with not so great systems running Vista just swimmingly (including my brother, for which Vista 'just worked' from the get-go).

-Spenser

Congrats, I've heard plenty of people saying the exact opposite. In fact, I've read more negative things than positive and the fact the Vista fans have to defend Vista and create threads like this and "are you tired of Vista bashing blah blah blah" suggest to me that the outcry is more prevalent than those who have just fine working systems.

PricklyPoo    9
Show me, and I'll buy it. :)

I could find better deals than this but here you go to prove my point.

I am comparing the computer I found to the lowest end iMac which retails at $1200 on apples website.

After a quick search on Neowin I found

Computer - http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?...N82E16883229007

Monitor - http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?...N82E16824112007

Which totals at $1,034.98

You have around $200 left over to buy as many webcams and extras as you like. And the computer is considerably faster than the low end iMac for a lower price and greater software compatibility. And it comes with vista. :)

-The computer I found has a Core 2 Duo E6750(2.66GHz) compared to the iMacs 2.0 ghz.

-The computer I found has 2GB of ddr2 800 memory while the iMac only has 1gb of slower memory.

-The computer I found has a larger hardrive and performs at the same speed as the iMac's.

-The computer I found has an NVIDIA GeForce 8500GT that is faster than iMac's ATI Radeon HD 2400 XT.....and if you want proof.... ( http://it-review.net/index.php?option=com_...mp;limitstart=4 )

-The computer I found has a faster dual layer dvd burner than the iMac.....

And keep in mind that this was a quick search and there are much better deals out there. But even this quick search saved me $200 dollars and got me better hardware.

Oh and you said you would buy a pc if I found one that was a better deal than buying a mac, so buy away. ;)

PricklyPoo    9
I think another good ad would be to have the PC completely ignoring the Mac guy, because the PC guy is too busy playing a game...

It would be even funnier if it was because the fact that mac can hardly run any good games.

Andrew Lyle    340
most of what the mac adds say about vista are true

you cant deny that without looking stupid

no, thats not true. the mac ad's are directed towards "dumber" computer users, who don't understand the difference between mac and PC, and trying to convince them to purchase mac's by pointing out vista's so called "flaws" like the UAC (User Account Control), which is 100% bull ****

Show me a mac ad that isn't true for both operating systems? Security holes? sorry, but ALL operating systems face these problems.

Cormier6083    0

^ And video games turn women on how?

I don't see how paying $2000 dollars for a computer for games is good for your wallet... or your health.