Kotaku is stealing my Pics

Where is the credit for the Unreal Tournament Avatar and Sig? I better email Unreal to make sure you have copyright to use that logo.

Ps : I know you probably got it free from a fan site pack or something, but I was putting it into context how stupid this whole topic is.

Although I agree it's wrong of them to take your pictures, especially without credit (that's the worst part), I really don't see the ENORMOUS deal people are making out of this. It's not like they're stealing your money.

It wouldn't be bad at all if they at least gave you credit, but still. I don't see the BIG BIG deal.

Where is the credit for the Unreal Tournament Avatar and Sig? I better email Unreal to make sure you have copyright to use that logo.

Ps : I know you probably got it free from a fan site pack or something, but I was putting it into context how stupid this whole topic is.

It's not a stupid topic. I wonder what would happen in some ad/website used photos of drunk people from public facebook accounts.

It's not really a big deal. Kotaku just either needs to give credit or remove the photo. Problem solved.

If you posted a image on the internet and expected NO ONE to take it... u should never have posted it... True give u some credit or something but still...

The fact remains that u know u took the photo and u should feel warm and fuzzy inside...

Like OMG u want compensation???? its not like they are IGN or something... They are a site that reports the news... True say who took the photo but still... When something goes on the internet its garenteed to be placed on another site... weather its a big site or a small site...

And yeah u dont want it to happen... Watermark it as some people say with a logo not a date... always kills the photo them dates...

[just a fun comment] I dont like ur blog anyways... taking a stab at aussies... WE ARE BETTER THAN ALL :p best till last :) [/just a fun comment]

I ask them nicely to remove it and say please credit you to your webpage or etc if they dont then I am guessing you could try to sue but because it got no watermark on it it be pretty tough it be he she said thing. Just next time watermark your stuff.But to be honest I dont think a lawyer will take this case it because he say what most of the people are saying on this board just watermark it next time and try to see if you can get him or her to credit your name to it but dont think a lawyer going to go to court over this.Its really too bad we dont have internet laws we should because people getting away with stuff on the net.

That argument is completely different from the current situation. If a company releases an image with a distribution allowed for the image any way someone feels than someone can make a sig and avatar from it like Slimy did. However if the image is released and distribution is not allowed, then it is copyright infringment, an entirely different matter as the party did not consent to have the image distributed the way at all and it is. A violation of the owner's rights. So no, it's not silly as this has same basis of argument as piracy, and if since the party did not consent then he has a right to approach the manner in any way he sees fit. Some felt that he should sue Kotaku for the damage done, but he chose not to, and just sent them an email to give credit or to remove the pictures from their website. If they do not comply, then a cease and decist order can be sent to their service provider and they can be cut off completely since they did not comply with the owner's demands. If they still not work then he would have to result in a lawsuit, the longest and most gruelling answer to the problem.

Edited by Oxuyoska

Some felt that he should Kotaku for the damage done

I'm gonna assume you meant to write sue in there.

What damage done!? What money is the author losing? Is he selling views of his picture and now he's losing money!? I don't get it.

This brought loads of attention to the site now, since I've never even heard of the site until now.

I'm gonna assume you meant to write sue in there.

What damage done!? What money is the author losing? Is he selling views of his picture and now he's losing money!? I don't get it.

This brought loads of attention to the site now, since I've never even heard of the site until now.

its a case of ownership, its against the law, sure said "author" isn't going to sell them (i dont think?) but they are still his images and it would be nice for them to ask

if someone took an image without permission from my site or something then i would be annoyed but if they asked i would say "sure whatever"

If you posted a image on the internet and expected NO ONE to take it... u should never have posted it... True give u some credit or something but still...

Kotaku is a "professional" blog and it is expected of all sites, especially one at the level of Kotaku to credit their sources.

Crap to Kotaku for failing to take their own photos at launch.

DIGG @ http://digg.com/gaming_news/Kotaku_Steals_..._from_a_Blogger

but guys he has no proof to prove to the lawyers about his picture and that the other website remove it they could said they gone and etc it be a he say and she said thing.Yes he ahs the orignal copy and yes he can bring that too a lawyer but the other side can say some pictures dont have times on it or etc so again it bea he said she said. I say again talk to the website and ask them to credit you or the newsperson that did that story on that website because it may not be the wbesite owner it maybe one of the people that actually do stories and post them on that website for the owner and if that true guessing the website owner would love to credit you and say he going to talk to the guy or gal whoever posted it and do what he or she thinks be apporaite with that person. Again it boils down to having a watermark so this doesnt happen yes it follows under copy infrigment but the internet people are allow to get away with this stuff because the internet doesnt have enough laws to make sure these people cant get away with these things so easily and I think congress is starting to reliaze that and we may see new internet laws when the next president steps in.AGian I say try to deal with it internal then send a cease letter and etc but I am going to say I dont think a lawyer going to take this on because even if he breaking the law its going to be hard because of the proof andagain I may be wrong but pretty surea lawyer going to say its a he said thing. when you do teh emails stuff keep all of it and document the stuff for evidence that may help you. But I say call bill orielly he may be able to help you he from fox news he love to probably talk about this on his show and make sure the website that did this to you gets neagtive feedback because it was worng what they did to you.

its a case of ownership, its against the law, sure said "author" isn't going to sell them (i dont think?) but they are still his images and it would be nice for them to ask

if someone took an image without permission from my site or something then i would be annoyed but if they asked i would say "sure whatever"

Of course it's understandable. Anyone would be annoyed.

However that doesn't answer what "damage" was done (besides being annoyed).

One of the best punk rock bands around
I called her on the phone and she touched herself....

I have to say, those deeply heart-felt lyrics really touched my soul. :laugh:

Wow after all of the shootings recently... you are disgusting.

You should stop being so politically correct and sensitive all the time.

The photographer should just ask Kotak.com politely to take the photos down.