Kotaku is stealing my Pics

How long did he wait to get a reply until this whole thing erupted? Seems like just a few hours ago this thread got posted, that's hardly giving Kotaku time to respond to this. Now it's all over digg and the front page of Neowin :p

I dunno, I've had my stuff get stolen in the past, even avatars I've used on this site. It sucks, but it's not like they're going "hay guyz look at the pics we took lulz" or anything like that. If it were me, I'd just get a chuckle out of it, send a friendly email to the staff, and move on. No need for a big production over the whole thing.

You should stop being so politically correct and sensitive all the time.

The photographer should just ask Kotak.com politely to take the photos down.

Politically correct? He said he should murder them.

The post seemed like an obvious joke to me...

I see that's it joke I just don't see how saying that he should get a gun and kill them is funny. Explain to me how saying that someone should get a gun and kill someone that's wronged them is funny if you can.

Slimy, I don't see how you could even consider this news. This is more like drama mongering.

I see that's it joke I just don't see how saying that he should get a gun and kill them is funny. Explain to me how saying that someone should get a gun and kill someone that's wronged them is funny if you can.

I'd happily divulge the reasoning if you'll explain why you lack the capacity to understand satire.

I've had pictures taken for this purpose before, all I did was ask if they'd link me back and put up one line saying I took the pics... IMHO the best thing you could do in such a situation

Because its such an absurd overreaction to such a silly problem that the mere suggestion of resorting to murder is funny?

Take a chill pill, its the internet, no-one is serious.

Big ****ing deal. 2 images. Be flattered.

To be honest thats what I'm thinking right now. If they were something special then sure, but theyre just two rather generic photos from some games exhibition or something. Unless revenue is being lost or you spent hours taking the pics then big whoop IMHO.

Yes theyre in the wrong, but based on the content I don't think it's even worth worrying about. I certainly wouldnt.

Although I agree it's wrong of them to take your pictures, especially without credit (that's the worst part), I really don't see the ENORMOUS deal people are making out of this. It's not like they're stealing your money.

In a small way, they are. Kotaku doesn't report news like this because they feel like it, they make money off of it. So while the owner of the pictures had no intention of making money from them, Kotaku HAS taken them, put them on their site and used them as a way of getting more traffic and thus more revenue. And they never even credited the owner, when really if you wanted to be absolutely "fair" about it, he should be entitled to part of the revenue gained from the use of them.

But he's not even asking for that, he just wants credit, that's not too much to ask at all.

What the ****?

OK so they shouldn't have used his image. But as has been pointed out - he is using an image of Robbie Williams (cover atwork for an album) as an avatar.

Then to send an email demanding compensation? Where do you think that will get you?

The email SHOULD have stated that he was the original source, were you aware, and would it not have been prudent to cite the source at least. Then asking for the image to either be removed or licensed. Not an all out "Give me money".

Sheesh!

http://kotaku.com/gaming/xbox-360/india-ge...some-314794.php

Was there already a link to original image at the bottom of that article? Because there is now.

There isn't a link on the second image at the time of writing.

No there wasn't

http://209.85.175.104/search?q=cache:RXzIl...lient=firefox-a

The cached copy

Where is the credit for the Unreal Tournament Avatar and Sig? I better email Unreal to make sure you have copyright to use that logo.

Ps : I know you probably got it free from a fan site pack or something, but I was putting it into context how stupid this whole topic is.

The name is its own promotion fee.

In a small way, they are. Kotaku doesn't report news like this because they feel like it, they make money off of it. So while the owner of the pictures had no intention of making money from them, Kotaku HAS taken them, put them on their site and used them as a way of getting more traffic and thus more revenue. And they never even credited the owner, when really if you wanted to be absolutely "fair" about it, he should be entitled to part of the revenue gained from the use of them.

But he's not even asking for that, he just wants credit, that's not too much to ask at all.

I thought about the "revunue" part but it's not the same. They aren't directly making money off of it (charging a fee to download it), so whatever.

Yeah, you're right. It's not too much to ask for. It's also not too big of a deal to make this 7 page thread about it.

Kotaku has decided to license those pics for 100$ each. They will be sending a cheque right away for 200$.

Brian even apologized for the whole thing.

Someone can update the news.

Thx

Kotaku has decided to license those pics for 100$ each. They will be sending a cheque right away for 200$.

Brian even apologized for the whole thing.

Someone can update the news.

Thx

May we see the original lettre?

A 200 cheque! Tres magnifique!