HD/Blu-Ray Front Page Poll

Blu-ray

Giant leap ahead because of the PS3 - even if only 1/3 knows it is a BD player too

And once BD can no longer ride on PS3 players, the standalone BD player prices will have fallen..

Thats my guess

I back HD-DVD mainly because I have an HD-DVD player and there are more HD-DVD exclusive titles I'm interested in.

I also love the fact HD-DVDs are not region locked so I can order movies from overseas - as it takes forever for an HD movie (HD-DVD or Blu-ray) to get released in New Zealand.

Edited by virtorio

HD DVD because its cheaper and just as good, shame there aint as much support for it

like said before the stats include the PS3 which isnt really classed as a dedicated player as the PS2 isnt a dedicated DVD player

I back HD-DVD mainly because I have an HD-DVD player and there are more HD-DVD exclusive titles I'm interested in.

I also love the fact HD-DVDs are not region locked so I can order movies from overseas - as it takes forever for an HD movie (HD-DVD or Blu-ray) to get released in New Zealand.

:yes: Not to mention that tons of Blu-ray only releases in the US are being released on HD DVD in Europe, so the region-free aspect allows you to purchase movies on HD DVD you normally wouln't be able to.

HD DVD because its cheaper and just as good, shame there aint as much support for it

like said before the stats include the PS3 which isnt really classed as a dedicated player as the PS2 isnt a dedicated DVD player

it may not be a dedicated player, but its just as much a player than the rest

:yes: Not to mention that tons of Blu-ray only releases in the US are being released on HD DVD in Europe, so the region-free aspect allows you to purchase movies on HD DVD you normally wouln't be able to.

is there a list anywhere that shows which are available?

looks like the hddvd vs bd gang are back in town, lock up your daughters :p

there are a large proportion of bd titles that are region free too. those which aren't tend to be available in all regions anyway. except the die hard box set that comes to mind

Does it matter if its dedicated or not? :huh:

It can play BDs which means they will buy BD movies if they know its capable of it..

The PS2 is what introduced my family to DVD, the PS3 is what has introduced it to Blu-ray(high-def movies)

I'm hoping for HD-DVD :shiftyninja:

<snip>

The PS2 is what introduced my family to DVD, the PS3 is what has introduced it to Blu-ray(high-def movies)

I don't think the PS3 has as much influence power as the PS2 did with the DVD.

HD-DVD. Hands down. Sony formats always fail.

not really

memory stick/msduo is popular. Beta is still used to store tapes for broadcast. UMD ain't quite dead.

it seems like you've made this decision based on history, not the current facts.

i wanna know how far BD would have gotten if it wasnt included in the ps3, would have made the ps3 a lot smaller and cheaper two.

there wouldnt be many people with BD players then, but the ps3 would be selling a lot better if it was smaller and cheaper...

i wanna know how far BD would have gotten if it wasnt included in the ps3, would have made the ps3 a lot smaller and cheaper two.

there wouldnt be many people with BD players then, but the ps3 would be selling a lot better if it was smaller and cheaper...

sony was obviously trying to avoid the issue with fitting content onto DVD9, where the x360 has struggled sometimes. all those HD fmv's and high res textures take a lot of space.

not really

memory stick/msduo is popular. Beta is still used to store tapes for broadcast. UMD ain't quite dead.

it seems like you've made this decision based on history, not the current facts.

Give me a break. MS is still used in mostly only Sony products. Beta has been dead as a consumer product for 20 years. UMD is essentially dead. It's pretty much only Sony movies being released on it now. Not to mention Atrac. With Sony's track record, it's not much of a stretch to think Blu-ray could follow in thier footsteps.

I have an HD-DVD player so that is who I voted for, but honestly I'm starting to think Blu will win because of all the advertising. I rarely see an advertisement for a movie that ends in "availabe in HD-DVD" but always hear "available in Blu-Ray." Joe Schmo is going to buy the product they hear the most on the boob tube.