• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

HD/Blu-Ray Front Page Poll

+Mirumir    5,637
here in the UK, it costs ?400 for a x360 + hddvd, ?300 for ps3.
The HD-DVD drive isnt bundled with the 360 though, you have to buy that seperate.

The point was to show that sometimes the same arguments apply to both camps and it's just an opinion without any factual data that plays both ways.

driftingfe3s    0

I went to check out some DVDs 2 weeks ago and I decided to check out what was on Blu-Ray and HD-DVD. The selection for Blu-Ray was at least 3 times a big as as the HD-DVD. I don't see how HD-DVD can win when alot of moives are now in Blu-Ray and not HD-DVD.

RedFlow    0

Pretty neat that more people are voting HD-DVD. :D

dead.cell    4,595

Bluray just to spite the religious HD-DVD follower that shall not be named.

MGS4-SS    0

BluRay, its the better format overall.

Webbie    0

For me the one who isn't sony i hate sony .. i never ever want something from them, never even if it was the only making it on the planet :)

Jason S.    1,540
Bluray just to spite the religious HD-DVD follower that shall not be named.

Voldemort... there, i said it :p

BluRay, its the better format overall.

share your thoughts on why please :yes:

Andrew    2,861
here in the UK, it costs ?400 for a x360 + hddvd, ?300 for ps3.

Gotta love bias comparisons. Since you chose to use the cheapest PS3 model, why not use the cheapest 360 model also?

Xbox 360 Arcade + HD DVD addon = ?303

Coldgunner    12
Gotta love bias comparisons. Since you chose to use the cheapest PS3 model, why not use the cheapest 360 model also?

Xbox 360 Arcade + HD DVD addon = ?303

forgot about that tbo, but fair enough.

Sparky222B    0

Blu-Ray, though only by a tiny bit. Blu-ray, from what I've seen, tends to have slightly better quality at extreme TV sizes - and depending on the set, 1080p vs 1080i native makes a tiny difference.

But at the same price point and 99% of the time indistinguishable quality, I'm pretty indifferent. Although Blu-Ray seems to be winning right now, as HD-DVD isn't established as a data format (we've all seen what BD did for PS3).

s3pHiX    0

Yes, I'm strongly wanting HD-DVD to be the hands down winner!!

Thanks,

sn00pie    2
The point was to show that sometimes the same arguments apply to both camps and it's just an opinion without any factual data that plays both ways.

I agree entirely, no worries though... :D

PS3 with built-in BD is ALOT cheaper then a equivalent X360 + HD DVD up here in Canada. ;)

Dazog    9
Blu-Ray, though only by a tiny bit. Blu-ray, from what I've seen, tends to have slightly better quality at extreme TV sizes - and depending on the set, 1080p vs 1080i native makes a tiny difference.

But at the same price point and 99% of the time indistinguishable quality, I'm pretty indifferent. Although Blu-Ray seems to be winning right now, as HD-DVD isn't established as a data format (we've all seen what BD did for PS3).

Where do people come up with this stuff.

Better how? it comes down to the transfer of movies ultimately, since both can use the SAME codecs and Audio if they want.

There is little to no difference anyone can see with 1080p vs 1080i unless you are pausing every frame, and scrutinizing every pan shot, which 99 percent of people will NEVER DO, if you are then you aren't really watching the movie are you?

I bet in a 1080 vs 720 showdown almost everyone won't be able to concern the difference on a Screen sitting at a relative distance.

1080p is a nice marketing tool to get people to think there 720p TV is already crap.

Wait until next year and they start telling us 1440p is the next big thing.

And just because Sony uses Blu-Ray for games doesn't mean anything other than them not having to pay anyone else the royalty fee for using there technology, it all comes down to money.

Deron Dantzler    0

It's hard to say which will win. I kind of lean towards the idea that neither will win and a format will come out in the future that will take the pie as HD media king. The consumer only stands to be confused by the current format war, and therefore will probably shy away from both unless they can get their fingers on an affordable player that will play both formats.

I think buying a PS3 and a cheap HD-DVD player is the way to go. Best of both worlds. No matter what anyone says, the PS3 is the best next generation gaming system when it comes to graphics, performance, and reliability. Blu-Ray is a welcomed addition to it for now, even if the format doesn't win in the future. The Wii is a great experience in itself but obviously mature games are far and few between and the graphics suck. The Xbox 360 has inferior hardware and inferior reliability (I sent back 3 because of the ring of death). This is all from someone who has owned the 360, currently owns the Wii, and is going to have a PS3 in a week or so.

gigapixels    99
It's hard to say which will win. I kind of lean towards the idea that neither will win and a format will come out in the future that will take the pie as HD media king. The consumer only stands to be confused by the current format war, and therefore will probably shy away from both unless they can get their fingers on an affordable player that will play both formats.

I think buying a PS3 and a cheap HD-DVD player is the way to go. Best of both worlds. No matter what anyone says, the PS3 is the best next generation gaming system when it comes to graphics, performance, and reliability. Blu-Ray is a welcomed addition to it for now, even if the format doesn't win in the future. The Wii is a great experience in itself but obviously mature games are far and few between and the graphics suck. The Xbox 360 has inferior hardware and inferior reliability (I sent back 3 because of the ring of death). This is all from someone who has owned the 360, currently owns the Wii, and is going to have a PS3 in a week or so.

The 360 may have had reliability problems but it certainly isn't inferior, sorry.

It's getting quite ridiculous to see people spew bad mis-information about a certain product and then try to justify it by saying, "But I own it so I can't possibly be incorrect or biased toward another product!"

Deron Dantzler    0

Maybe in your opinion the 360 does not have inferior performance. In most circles that is obviously a heavily debated topic. However, my personal experience with the 360's reliability certainly can't be classified as misinformation. I have a paper trail to back my issues with the system. Regardless of the argument about which has better performance, the 360 is inferior in my mind's eye because I owned one for about 18 months and had to send it back 3 times. While Microsoft replaced the unit, every time involved about 3 weeks that I was without the system. Therefore, about 1/9 of the time that I owned the 360 it wasn't even in my possession because it is in fact so unreliable. This doesn't include the hours that I spent on the phone with Microsoft in order to get them to approve the return. They should have had me on payroll for all of my time. If you believe that the reliability factor in itself doesn't mean that the hardware is inferior, suit yourself. Just wait until yours bricks and post back a response at that juncture. Thinking that yours won't? Rest assured... it will.

Edited by Deron Dantzler

Coldgunner    12
Maybe in your opinion the 360 does not have inferior hardware. In most circles that is obviously a heavily debated topic. However, my personal experience with the 360's reliability certainly can't be classified as misinformation. I have a paper trail to back my issues with the system. Regardless of the argument about which has better hardware, the 360 is inferior in my mind's eye because I owned one for about 18 months and had to send it back 3 times. While Microsoft replaced the unit, every time involved about 3 weeks that I was without the system. Therefore, about 1/9 of the time that I owned the 360 it wasn't even in my possession because it is in fact so unreliable. This doesn't include the hours that I spent on the phone with Microsoft in order to get them to approve the return. They should have had me on payroll for all of my time. If you believe that the reliability factor in itself doesn't make it inferior, suit yourself. Just wait until yours bricks and post back a response at that juncture. Thinking that yours won't? Rest assured... it will.

I don't think the x360 hardware is inferior, just build quality. think thats what you're trying to say too?

Deron Dantzler    0
I don't think the x360 hardware is inferior, just build quality. think thats what you're trying to say too?

Absolutely, and who is interested in buying a device only to be able to use it when it's not being so problematic? Also, how long did you guys own your PS2 or Xbox before this generation? I have never owned a PSone or PS2. I owned an Xbox for about 5 years when I bought my Xbox 360. The 3 year warranty that Microsoft backs the Xbox 360 with (since they extended the 1 year warranty, inherently admitting that it's a poor build) still will not cover early adopters when their machines brick following the extended warranty period before the release of the next generation of gaming systems.

bigm0e    0

What's Interesting is that I keep seeing Microsoft Vs. Sony in any Forum topic that discusses HD DVD vs Blu. For some reason, everyone is forgetting about Universal.

I can understand that argument from the point of who's providing the hardware.

Universal in my opinion is just as big of an opponent for Sony as Microsoft is. Sony Pictures/Studios and Universal are both competing in the same market together; not only the Movie and Cinema industry, but also song artists. They've also been around for a long period of time, so nobody should underestimate them.

Also, in my opinion, I think Microsoft did a very wise thing not to include the HD DVD player built-into the console regardless of what many of you say; they're not trying to shuv a media format down people's throats just like sony is - they're selling a gaming console, and if Blu ends up winning the war, all they have to do is release an external Blu ray drive - it would still be OPTIONAL, plus they have the Xbox live video market place, just in case.

my only reason for hoping that HD DVD wins is that I've always hated Sony's philosophy, and this time there's no difference at all.

kickenchicken360    0

in what im starting to see around here. Blu-ray. I've noticed that Disney and Sony pictures and a few other movie studios are releasing more popular titles in blu-ray (I've noticed that Disney is releasing theirs in bluray like High School Musical) also if im not mistaken the Simpson's movie in blueray & Dvd only?

idk. i feel like Bluray's going to win since PS3 sales are starting to rise also after that price reduction.

RadialFX    1

I have a blu-ray player and love it! BUT I was thinking the other evening, all the cable and satellite providers are advertising their HD channels. I started thinking, the more the general public HEARS, "Get us! We have more HD channels!", the more people are going to start thinking HD. I'll bet that in time because of all the "NEW and COMING HD Channels" the more comfortable they'll get in buying HD movies and players. The end result may be that in time HD may become more dominant. Just my 2 cents.

Truckondo    0

I had the HD DVD add on drive for the 360 and it was nice and booted up quick. My occupation as a Home Theater Installer really shows me what the public is buying and it certainly not HD DVD. I would say that for the last six months, I have installed 5-7 Blu-ray players a week. I have done 1 HD-DVD player in the same amount of time. I'm also against the combo format discs. Why do I have to pay $5 more for a SD version I will never watch? The amount of movies is better on Blu or at least that I want to get. I bought maybe 5 HD DVD discs in about the 8 months I had HD DVD. Since I sold it and got the PS3, I have collected over 30 Blu-ray movies in the last 3 months. Just my 2 cents.

RadialFX    1

Actually, that's why I bought the blu-ray. The guys that sold me my hd-tv and bose sound system told me almost exactly what you just said. They've sold a lot more blu-ray players than hd. Not to mention that the number of manufacturers making blu-ray players is about 5 times those of hd. I just had that thought the other evening and was kind of just wondering out loud.

Jason S.    1,540
I had the HD DVD add on drive for the 360 and it was nice and booted up quick. My occupation as a Home Theater Installer really shows me what the public is buying and it certainly not HD DVD. I would say that for the last six months, I have installed 5-7 Blu-ray players a week. I have done 1 HD-DVD player in the same amount of time. I'm also against the combo format discs. Why do I have to pay $5 more for a SD version I will never watch? The amount of movies is better on Blu or at least that I want to get. I bought maybe 5 HD DVD discs in about the 8 months I had HD DVD. Since I sold it and got the PS3, I have collected over 30 Blu-ray movies in the last 3 months. Just my 2 cents.

the whole "extra $5 for Combo disc" thing isnt always the case. It may be the case at Best Buy, for example, but online you wont typically find that. To this day, I still have yet to pay more than $20 for an HD DVD.

Even so, at Best Buy, Bourne Ultimatum (Combo) is $29.99 and Shrek 3 (Non-combo) is $29.99.

Actually, that's why I bought the blu-ray. The guys that sold me my hd-tv and bose sound system told me almost exactly what you just said. They've sold a lot more blu-ray players than hd. Not to mention that the number of manufacturers making blu-ray players is about 5 times those of hd. I just had that thought the other evening and was kind of just wondering out loud.

NOT including PS3, the number of Blu-ray players sold is well under the number of HD DVD players sold. Of course, i dont know that these guys were refering to. They may or may not have been including the PS3.

+Mirumir    5,637

Sounds like herd behaviour to me :/