• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

HD/Blu-Ray Front Page Poll

Damo R.    29,658

I have a HD-DVD player in my laptop so for now I say that but I can't really judge seeing as I haven't bought any yet.

Clear    0

Has to be Blu-ray. Not only is it technically superior to HD-DVD, the price of the PS3 makes entering into HD content a steal in comparison to the cost of a HD-DVD player. It's like getting more for less.

Tamilboy86    15

My vote goes for HD-DVD

not really

memory stick/msduo is popular. Beta is still used to store tapes for broadcast. UMD ain't quite dead.

it seems like you've made this decision based on history, not the current facts.

Not to be rude... But try think about what you wrote.... ms/ms duo are popular right, but they are only used in sonys own products. I won't say UMD is popular...

Ianwoollam    0

Blu-Ray for Storage media on PC's, HD-DVD for actual movie watching. Even though tbh I can't see any difference at all between the movie qualities between the two, I prefer HD-DVD on the basis that things like Region Free and theres no need to upgrade my HD-DVD player just makes life easier for myself (even though I'm sure the PS3 will probably be upgraded somehow to constantly play the latest stuff) also like the internet interactivity with some HD-DVD's, dunno if Blu-Ray has this though.

However looking at the big picture, I'm just worried that people who bought Movies/Players in both camps will both be screwed over by the squabbling between HD-DVD and Blu-Ray if someone else comes in with a far superior format and ends up becoming the industry standard before HD-DVD and Blu-Ray's time. Sometimes I wonder how much better the HD scene would be without this squabble.

ctebah    3,161
I have a HD-DVD player in my laptop so for now I say that but I can't really judge seeing as I haven't bought any yet.

toshiba laptop?

they were too expensive when i was buying a laptop, so i went with hp, but i saw a toshiba laptop with an hd-dvd drive in it for sale at staples for $1299.

it has better specs than my laptop and only about $200 more than i paid for mine. laptops get outdated very soon though, so it took me a while before i finally made the purchase.

spenser.d    1,100

I support HDDVD, but I really don't care, so long as sometime down the road, we have one format instead of two.

-Spenser

Coldgunner    12
My vote goes for HD-DVD

Not to be rude... But try think about what you wrote.... ms/ms duo are popular right, but they are only used in sonys own products. I won't say UMD is popular...

UMD movies ain't popular, but its the format itself that is still selling.

Julius Caro    55

BD because that's the one I bought. No point in being an hypocrite trying to defend one over the other when both when the differences between them are not significant enough.

Hopefully neither, when their exclusivity contracts end studios should just release on both formats and let consumers buy whatever suits them.

That's what should've happened since day 0!

Rudy    457

i used to support HD-DVD but it's pretty obvious blu-ray will win....remember people the poll is not about who you like better but who will win

Roger H.    776

well i'm all HD DVD. Dunno why but i just rather that one. I haven't tested any and i normally love Sony stuff but i just felt better about HD DVD than the others.

Neil    3

Blu-Ray as I own a PS3, also seems like most UK Stores as selling more Blu-Ray titles than HD-DVD.

Damo R.    29,658
toshiba laptop?

they were too expensive when i was buying a laptop, so i went with hp, but i saw a toshiba laptop with an hd-dvd drive in it for sale at staples for $1299.

it has better specs than my laptop and only about $200 more than i paid for mine. laptops get outdated very soon though, so it took me a while before i finally made the purchase.

Yeah its Toshiba cost me a fair bit but as I said haven't got round to buying HD-DVD's yet.

HoochieMamma    731

HD-DVD

Its VHS vs Betamax all over again.

Shadrack    601
HD-DVD

Its VHS vs Betamax all over again.

I don't think this is anything like VHS vs Betamax. VHS and Betamax were competing on a brand new market. HDDVD and Bluray are competing on an already established market currently dominated by DVD.

gigapixels    99
Has to be Blu-ray. Not only is it technically superior to HD-DVD, the price of the PS3 makes entering into HD content a steal in comparison to the cost of a HD-DVD player. It's like getting more for less.

I hope you're being sarcastic. Blu-ray is in no way technically superior to HD DVD, not even by size anymore, and the PS3 is twice as much as a stand-alone HD DVD player.

sin-ergy    2

I'm having a Blu Christmas :)

sn00pie    2

Well over here in Canada, HD DVD and BD are dead on pricewise. If you goto your local Best Buy or Future Shop the cheapest HD DVD player is the Toshiba A30 which retails for $399, the same price as a 40GB PS3... better bargain for your dollar = PS3 in this case.

This is why almost every HD person I know up here, is going BD.

PermaSt0ne    1

hd dvd

region free is a big plus and the diffrent profiles of blueray players are a big put off

although with the recent BD player price drop to $300 they could very well win the war

either way i'd say this christmas will show the winner

Raa    1,566

HD-DVD, definate winner for me. Even bought an XB360 HD kit solely to use on the pc

(Hey, its a cheap player!)

Berserk87    49

please share with everyone how you came to that conclusion...

+Mirumir    5,636

How is Blu-ray technically superior? As far as I know, it's the same laser, same technology. The only difference is numerical aperture. And please, let's not get started on all storage capacity crap.

---

I personally support HD DVD, but I'll wait for an affordable dual format player.

azcodemonkey    1

Certainly the consumer won't win.

Cormier6083    0

I have the Blus.... :D

Venomous    0

Dvd's are fine for now and 700meg avi's from the net are also okay with me maybe Hd stuff in 2 years time for me.

But on Blu-ray's side here.

brandnewfantx    0

HD...