I Am Legend (2007)

Just saw it about 3 hours ago. I thought, especially considering how this movie is considered a "Hollywood Blockbuster," that it was an very good movie. I may even go as far as saying it is a great movie, but I always need to think about it for a day to really form my final opinion of how much I like a movie.

With all that said, I just thought it was very well made. I was really curious how they were going to handle the main character being on their own and having to carry the movie so, and I think considering the fact they were trying to make an "easily accessible movie for the masses," they did as good of a job as they possibly could have.

The amazing scenery of an isolated New York City was honestly just incredibly enjoyable. I actually lived 4 blocks away from where "he lives" in the movie my freshman year in college. Just seeing that area I walked through so often like that was a great visual treat.

I am with you timdorr, the whole scene with Sam in the middle also got me as well. I definitely get choked up, especially because I lost my cat not to long ago. Will Smith really not only did an excellent job in this scene, and as much as people want to hate on him as it comes off as the cool thing to do, I really do like him as an actor.

I personally am not usually a fan of "wrap things up nicely"endings, but I think this ending definitely serves it's purpose and it works.

Definitely glad I saw it, and I think this is without a doubt a movie to see in the theatre for the outstanding visuals alone.

Edited by DirtyLarry

The CGI is pretty good, but they dramatized the story line a little to much. Over all i give it a C. I never got why a gun can kill zombies biting at your neck when near the end they were basically immune to all things except a giant ball of fire? Even then some of them arose from the explosion to continue their attack... wtf?

Ever since 28days/weeks later came out no zombie movie even comes close.

This Movie is a grade better if seen in IMAX. Just for the sound alone.

The movie was ok but I am probably alone in this but Will Smith did a VEry VEry good job acting in this. Its an exceptional actor in an OK movie. He does so good that you feel for him but the writing and some parts of the movie weren't as good.

I give this movie a 9/10, I loved it! Will Smith is def. going to win multiple awards for his amazing acting in this movie. I agree with everyone else, the part when he has to choke out Sam got some tears in my eyes :cry:

It is a good film, although there are some scenes that felt like they were longer than what they needed to be. The opening scene with Will Smith hunting in a Shelby is hilariously awesome! :laugh:

The ending was a little to Hollywoodish for me. I think they should have ended it with the explosion; there was no need to add Anna going on to the "safe zone". They should have left open-ended so that the viewer could have made up his or her own mind what happened next, but that's just me..

7 out of 10

Do yourself a favor, watch the original.........The Omega Man with Charlston Heston

Do yourself a favor, watch the original.........The Omega Man with Charlston Heston

The original was The Last Man on Earth that came out in 1964. The Omega Man came out in 1971, making it the second movie to be made about the book.

I def enjoyed this movie... I think I went into it with very high expectations because the idea of the story intrigued me.... the best way to describe the movie for me was unfulfilling.... I felt this movie had much greater potential than the final outcome... Smith did a great job acting(I was a little worried he would overdo it).. the scenes were done perfect.... i cant imagine it was easy to recreate NYC in the way that it was done... 8/10 from me...

The original was The Last Man on Earth that came out in 1964. The Omega Man came out in 1971, making it the second movie to be made about the book.

Yip...

I watched The Last Man on Earth, and the trailer of this movie reminded me of that movie instantly. The ending of The Last Man on Earth was really good. I want to watch I Am Legend, to see how badly they screwed it up (if they did at all).

Is The Omega Man any good?

Yip...

I watched The Last Man on Earth, and the trailer of this movie reminded me of that movie instantly. The ending of The Last Man on Earth was really good. I want to watch I Am Legend, to see how badly they screwed it up (if they did at all).

Is The Omega Man any good?

Omega Man is good yes.

And I am Legend is "screwed up".

Was a great movie until the end.

The 'god' angle at the end just ruined it. And there were other problems.

For instance, you would not put your secret escape tunnel in the same room that you hold a dangerous captive that you are conducting tests on.

Further, no explanation was given on how Sam was only half immune, or how Dr Neville was completely immune, to the virus but that couldn't be used to make others immune.

And another big one... he could keep the girl he captured sedated and held indefinately, or at least so it seemed, but he couldn't sedate Sam and try to save him?

Was a 8.5 or so before the last 15 minutes. After that, I'd give it a 5 or so.

Saw it Tuesday, I thought it's NOT very action packed/thrilling, the movie is too short (1 hour 40 minutes) and doesn't carry a lot of Star power, other than Will Smith.

Only 1 scene is Scary, where it should be MORE than that. I was very disappointed at that... the ending was pretty much Anti-climax IMO.

Plus there were many Plot holes that doesn't make enough sense. Like those episode touched on.

Not a great movie, but not too bad either, I commend Will Smith's acting, but I don't feel Horror adventures is his game!

No It really doesn't deserve all these attention it's getting, there are better Oscar-caliber movies outthere than this. There are certainly better action/horror/adventure movie than this... I just don't get the hype on this, Sorry.

Is it about Will Smith can act? Who doubted him?

BTW, where is the Atonement review at guys? It must be Keira Knightly's Best acting work yet...

Ok I guess I will give this movie a Solid C+

Edited by JediXAngel

I just saw it today and its 8 out of 10 for me. Like jerzdawg said, the movie had more potential but its a pretty good movie.

I really enjoyed it and Will Smith acting was 10 out of 10, great acting.

Movie was generally good (Part with Sam and following was very touching, striking into the "reality" of being alone) but the ending was pathetic and strung together badly, seems like they rushed it and 100 minutes simply isn't enough to depict a story too well. I'd suggest to either download this or wait for a rental, definitely isn't worth going to a cinema for such an anti-climatic ending.

6/10

I've seen it twice in the theaters now once in a normal theater and the second time was to get the IMAX experience with the cgi and sound effects. I did notice a lot of flaws the second time around:

The girl doesn't even have a butterfly on her neck until the very end when she is in the chamber thing.

I still don't get how 3 gun shots can kill zombies when fire apparently doesn't kill all of them???

Also, when the lady is saving him from the car when hes trying to commit suicide and turns on all the lights wouldn't that kill the zombies? Some how the same guy (main zombie dude) followed them home in the dark... wtf?

There are a ton of flaws and the movie could have been much better, I still stand with my C+. The only reason why it has a C is because Will Smiths acting is amazing.

And for god's sake who is that girl in ur sig JediXAngel

for those of you complaining about the end section of the movie....

1st of all he did NOT kill sam, he injected the dog with the anti-virus he tried on the mouse that seemed to be working. but the virus kills what it does not cure. so when sam didn't get cured he was doomed to die. will just held him so he didn't squirm around and tried to comfort the dog. and he can't bring sam back to life like the zombie

2nd they explained why sam was immune to only the air virus. it's just that, the strain in the air is a diffrent strain of the virus than in living beings.

3rd, i thought the safe room (aka not escape hatch) was pretty cheesy. not because it was in a room with a SEDATED zombie girl, but because no way that thin sheet of metal withstood a grenade blast

and finally about the very end. yes ending with the grenade would have been awsome. but they added the last bit because if they didn't most people wouldn't get the title of the movie. they had to explain WHY he is a legend and the legend he left behind. average person aint smart enough to figure out on their own unfortunately

overall, it was a good movie. i especially loved the dog :D

and gregbob: fire doesn't kill all of them because they need to be caught on fire to die, just like humans. and zombies don't die from the light right away. it burns their skin so they have some time to get to a safe place. although i remember the main guy staying in the way way back when he sent the other zombies in to do his bidding so he wouldn't have been in the light anyways?

Brilliant movie, saw it in IMAX the other night. I loved how they sparingly placed action sequences at just the right times, and how they conveyed the story through many different means. I am pleased to say the movie actually startled me a few times, no movie has done that for me since 28 Days Later.

for those of you complaining about the end section of the movie....

1st of all he did NOT kill sam, he injected the dog with the anti-virus he tried on the mouse that seemed to be working. but the virus kills what it does not cure. so when sam didn't get cured he was doomed to die. will just held him so he didn't squirm around and tried to comfort the dog. and he can't bring sam back to life like the zombie

I can take your theory as your opinion, because it didn't actually show what was going on, the most likely scenario would be that he was putting him to death because he was becoming a zombie. I think that when he injected him, he wasn't thinking straight and was just trying to do anything to try and save sam.

And for god's sake who is that girl in ur sig JediXAngel

+1 :shiftyninja:

I loved the movie as a whole. My least favorite part is how fake the zombies looked.

I probably like it so much because I'm a fan of survival horror games. The dark sequences reminded me of silent hill and immediately after the movie, I told my friend that it was better at being resident evil than resident evil ever was.

The Mutants were not killed by light, they were killed by Ultra-Violet light. Car lights, unless modded with UV would not hurt them, just be startling because they like the dark. The lights around his house were UV, but they were destroyed quickly.

I love the movie and I'll give it a 9/10. My beef was that there were no other mutated animals outdoors, mutant lions would have been awesome. Aside from not mutating themselves, the lions survived the mutants around them. He didn't turn on the UV lights in his lab that he had earlier in the movie, which was the first thing I was thinking when he headed for the lab. Finally, the virus apparently caused DirectX 9.0c glossy bump-mapped skin on all affected persons.

Seriously though, there wasn't much money being spent on actors so they should have put some more into CG realism.