What is an MVC?

On December 18th 2007, Neowin launched the "Most Valued Contributers" group. This group is a number of members or subscribers that have been identified and selected by staff, veterans and in forth coming nominations, MVCs -as being exceptionally helpful to the community.

These people are rewarded with recognition on the forums in the following manner (the group badge and online prefix is default)

post-32224-1197930485.png

What MVC's get

Enhanced forum permissions, no flood control, larger PM storage, a Blog and a dedicated MVC forum.

MVCs is a new group to aspire to on Neowin, there is no limitation on the size of the group and all nominees are selected by staff, veterans and suggested by current MVCs. To qualify you must be a member of Neowin and to put it simple -a noticeably helpful member! Usually forums are well known for the grouped restrictions but not so much on appraisal. We aren't keen on implementing a karma system so we thought, our staff is active and large enough to recognize those who stand out as being exceptionally helpful.

Some of the names on the list are SO deserving of recognition without needing to be elevated to mod status (with the time/work it involves) :)

This looks like a great way of rewarding their contribution. Recognising the people who made neowin great :)

Is it just for contribution to tech help? Because I consider contribution of news to be very important and worthy too. Meaning people like Hum, who post a LOT of news, should be deserving of this.

But either way It's a great system, and a brilliant innovation to Neowin, well done guys :)

njlouch - hit the nail on the head. Traditionally some of the most valued members have become moderators but that added responsibility can often result in less time to participate in the community, which is exactly why they were valued in the first place! Catch 22. MVC allows us to showcase those members we feel have contributed significantly, but it also can act as a little beacon for other members on those whose opinions we feel may be particularly valuable.

This is great news I can really see Neowin becoming a fantastic community.

This forum is always being looked after and kept on track as much as possible (Y) Neowin FTW

The avatar looks a bit 'stretched', accesser?

Indeed. The image itself is 65 by 65 pixels, but has been stretched to 80 by 80 pixels. I would have thought that if the image were to be used as an avatar, then it would be 80 by 80 pixels.

I think the mvc concept is a great idea. (Y)

Smctainsh

An idea I suggested taken up by the Neowin mods, which makes me really happy! Congratulations to those who have made the list, you deserve it after so long contributing to this forum. May your future contributions be as good as the last ;) !

Scirwode

The avatar looks a bit 'stretched', accesser?

Hmm try a proper reload of the page I just uploaded the new one I have noticed sometimes the Avatars do that on Neowin when you change them it keeps the old size but the new Avatar.

Nah it's not to do with that accesser, I sent you a PM about it.

IPB has a bug where it 'assumes' that all avatars specified by URL instead of through uploading them are the maximum size. All staff avatars, plus the MVC and Subscriber avatar, are 65x65, and as such IPB is specifying the height and width erroneously.

Solution? Save the av to your hard drive. Then upload it using the avatar uploading tool when you go to change it. Then its real dimensions will be read as opposed to 'guessed'.

Hmm try a proper reload of the page I just uploaded the new one I have noticed sometimes the Avatars do that on Neowin when you change them it keeps the old size but the new Avatar.

Still the same, after a 'proper' reload :)

EDIT: And now we've found a reason why ^

Nah it's not to do with that accesser, I sent you a PM about it.

IPB has a bug where it 'assumes' that all avatars specified by URL instead of through uploading them are the maximum size. All staff avatars, plus the MVC and Subscriber avatar, are 65x65, and as such IPB is specifying the height and width erroneously.

Solution? Save the av to your hard drive. Then upload it using the avatar uploading tool when you go to change it. Then its real dimensions will be read as opposed to 'guessed'.

Done!

Is it just for contribution to tech help? Because I consider contribution of news to be very important and worthy too. Meaning people like Hum, who post a LOT of news, should be deserving of this.

But either way It's a great system, and a brilliant innovation to Neowin, well done guys :)

I don't know about the final selection process, but I know initial nominations were made with the focus on contributions and/or expertise in tech(ish) areas. I know any of my nominations fit in that mold.

Yeah sorry if I didn't say congrats to you all earlier. I know my "checkered" history here is something I'm ashamed of, and it's nice to have accolades that are worth aiming towards :)