post your LINUX Desktop

there's a howto somewhere there was one on the blackbox site i think :/ I did it once but then i switched to gentoo.

Oh and Pysoulseek works just as well if not better than the windows ver imo, oh yea dtops ummm... ill post one in a bit i got a couple around here....ah

HERE'S ONE (1600x1200 fyi)

Link to that howto, please?

You can really tell who is using the big distributions like redhat and mandrake because the fonts are horrible. They use the older freetype autohinter which results in horrible kerning and shape distortion. Many of you also seem to use the bytecode interpreter also, which is probably better. I'm personally looking forward to the freetype 2.1.4 that's in CVS. They appear to have merged David Chester's smooth patch, with options to turn off the various individual hacks too! Not only that, but the stem widths have supposedly been corrected, which leaves the kerning as the only remaining problem with the autohinter. Oh, and they do need to fix the blue zone calculations, too.

By the way, why do so many of you use fluxbox? I personally don't really see what's so great about it, especially since blackbox draws the window controls much clearer, and because it IS the real thing. Sometimes I wonder if any of these bandwagoners have actually heard of some of the things like blackbox that we used back a while. I've also heard people criticizing the new fontconfig/Xft2 libraries, when they should be appreciating them. Geez, in my day we didn't have antialiased fonts! And that was only a few years ago!

Oooh, optimization. Actually using higher degrees of optimization (-O6 and such) will just increase the iterations that the compiler uses looking for ways to optimize the code. -O3 is the cutoff for turning on/off features, if I'm not mistaken. If you really want to increase the runtime speed of the code, try static-linking or pre-linking, at your own risk of course.

You all really have it easy. I suggest trying a real distro like Slackware, installing a bare-bones system and then compiling everything over by hand. Now that's the way to do it, and a whole lot of fun, too!

Bah!!

There was a point when RedHat had the greatest of fonts, and everyone at the Gentoo forums was begging the authors to work on it. Now it's nearly there.

Fluxbox have TABS, damn you. Also it can have anti-aliased fonts, and - why not?

Both BB and FB are very fast, and I like the smooth fonts, even more when running

at 1600x1200 like now.

And font support was absolutely crap in the past, but it is improving.

In a year it will hopefully "just work" for everyone.

And FYI, I am using prelinking. I was one of the testers of prelink in Portage.

It doesn't do all that much for all applications, but KDE really benefits from it.

And it's really not all that risky anymore. If not allready implemented, I think

it will be when Gentoo 1.4 is released.

And I've used Slack in the past, that was how I first started. I think Gentoo,

which is the 133735t distro rigth now, is a lot harder. I learned a lot by installing

it. And I even tried to make most of my system with CVS. That was just crap -

a lot of things didn't work, becuse they weren't finished.

Gentoo let you compile from scratch, but does all the dependancy searching for you.

Also, it reduces the compile flags of applications that need it. You can always say

"make your own", but Gentoo gives you the power of LFS with the power of Portage.

But why all the noise in a desktop thread? :whistle:

Yup, prelinking is very nice, I used this when I had gentoo, its that thing that speeds up compile time for apps in portage, right?This sure does help Mozilla and those kinds of big programs. :)

Damn, those are some great desktops! I want to install fluxbox but everytime I do so I get this:

[Admin@localhost Admin]$ cd /home/Admin/fluxbox-0.1.14
[Admin@localhost fluxbox-0.1.14]$ ./configure
checking for a BSD-compatible install... /usr/bin/install -c
checking whether build environment is sane... yes
/home/Admin/fluxbox-0.1.14/missing: Unknown `--run' option
Try `/home/Admin/fluxbox-0.1.14/missing --help' for more information
configure: WARNING: `missing' script is too old or missing
checking for gawk... gawk
checking whether make sets ${MAKE}... yes
checking for gcc... no
checking for cc... no
checking for cc... no
checking for cl... no
configure: error: no acceptable C compiler found in $PATH
[Admin@localhost fluxbox-0.1.14]$

Damn, those are some great desktops! I want to install fluxbox but everytime I do so I get this:
[Admin@localhost Admin]$ cd /home/Admin/fluxbox-0.1.14
[Admin@localhost fluxbox-0.1.14]$ ./configure
checking for a BSD-compatible install... /usr/bin/install -c
checking whether build environment is sane... yes
/home/Admin/fluxbox-0.1.14/missing: Unknown `--run' option
Try `/home/Admin/fluxbox-0.1.14/missing --help' for more information
configure: WARNING: `missing' script is too old or missing
checking for gawk... gawk
checking whether make sets ${MAKE}... yes
checking for gcc... no
checking for cc... no
checking for cc... no
checking for cl... no
configure: error: no acceptable C compiler found in $PATH
[Admin@localhost fluxbox-0.1.14]$

Hmm, no gcc? Search to make sure you have gcc and if not, you'll need to get that.

Is the gcc suppose to come with the package? Cause if so mine doesn't have it. Sorry cause I'm sorta like a newb at this stuff. Can't wait to have great desktops like you guys.

new kde3.1 desktop.... 3.1 is definately worth installing imo.

kde3_1_th.jpg

don't get me wrong i still love my simple fast fluxbox dt too :woot:

Panorama... in kde3.1 go to Control Center-Appearance&Themes-Icons choose or add an icon set that comes with 128x128 icons under "Theme" then click on "Advanced" and under size change to 128.

not sure where this belongs. well, yes i do, but, it is really related towards linux desktop relatednessness....

anybody want to send me all the wallpapers from linux based operating systems?

Ryan. ?

calm down radish & whistlerxp, it isn't a request in the strictest sense. i'm sure these wallpapers all ready exist. i just need to know where to find them. thanks to whomever wants to help me.

Here is how to get my cool free type fonts using Gentoo. All 'emerge <program_name>' things are installing a certain application, emerge doesn't work for non Gentoo systems so you'll have to find the package on the net yourself. I just imported my WinXP fonts to a directory and followed the instructions...

http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=2...tialiased+fonts

Edit: Make sure you follow the phoenix instructions (word for word) and edit your config like theirs is.

How can someone send you every Linux based wallpaper out there? It's like me asking for every single Abstract wallpaper out there... there are millions of them.