Windows Media Player 12

why do i have to install like 100 codec packages very time i format my computer...

You don't.

There is only one decoder needed to decode almost everything: ffdshow.

If there is a specific type of file that you need to decode that ffdshow doesn't support, then you download just that specific codec.

Installing tons of codecs (ie. codec packs) leads to nothing but trouble.

A typical system needs only ffdshow + Quicktime to decode 99% of the files you're likely to encounter.

Throw in Media Player Classic as your host, and you're all set!

You know, even if the DirectShow codec I installed made the registry hack that gets mkv/mp4 to showup in the WMP11 library, that still doesn't change the fact that they show up in the "Other" formats list. I want all my media to show in the same list "Videos". Right now you have to switch between library lists to go from .wmv/.avi/.asf to .mkv/.mp4.

And THAT is a MS problem that should be fixed.

You know, even if the DirectShow codec I installed made the registry hack that gets mkv/mp4 to showup in the WMP11 library,

Err, it's not a "hack" - it's registration.

WMP 1-4: the evolutionary history would be:

Media Player 1.0

Media Player 2.0

ActiveMovie 1.0

NetShow 1.0

ActiveMovie 2.0

NetShow 2.0

and then things got folded together in the NetShow / ActiveMovie 3.x timeframe and synchronized to the DirectX Media version numbers, for the most part, which is where you get 5.x from. CDDeluxe and DVDPlayer also got folded in, too, but I suspect most people don't remember those. (Trivia: %windir%\system32\dvdplay.exe should still be on your system. Try running it. ;) ) The only thing *not* folded in was Sound Recorder, of course.

You know, even if the DirectShow codec I installed made the registry hack that gets mkv/mp4 to showup in the WMP11 library, that still doesn't change the fact that they show up in the "Other" formats list. I want all my media to show in the same list "Videos". Right now you have to switch between library lists to go from .wmv/.avi/.asf to .mkv/.mp4.

And THAT is a MS problem that should be fixed.

No, it isn't.

Which codec/file filter are you using that does a registry hack to get this to happen? Why aren't they setting PerceivedType? We both would love for them to fix that. It's really easy to fix. It's not Microsoft's job to guess what settings they meant to set. :)

Can you get them to fix that too? I'd appreciate it. *thumbs up*

You seem to be missing my point. Even if you do the registry change, WMP STILL won't show mkv/mp4 files along with wmv and avi files in the same Library view. How is that NOT something MS has to fix/change? And for that matter why is it that WMP can play them fine if you have the codec/filters installed but won't show them in your library from the get go?

This isn't something changing or adding to your registry will just make happen. Setting PreceivedType doesn't change the Library list behaior at all. mkv/mp4 or whatever "OTHER" video files you have will still only showup in the "OTHER FORMATS" group, and not in VIDEOS with the rest of your avi and wmv files.

I don't see how you figure this is anything but a problem MS should fix/change.

That's not how the documentation says to do it...

edit: yeah, I got this working on my own system in about five minutes, and that was the lazy way. Illiminable does this for OGG, I noticed. Pretty straight-forward. But YOU shouldn't have to do this. This should be added by whoever wrote that filter IF they really do plug into WMP nicely. *thumbs up*

Edited by zachdms

I don't even have the following in my registry

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\MediaPlayer\MLS\Extensions

So, I don't even know where to add the first part, the 2nd stuff is already in there though.

Even adding that subkey and doing what it says, I still can't get WMP11 to show my mkv and mp4 files along with my .avi files under VIDEO.

So much for that. Any other ideas?

Edited by GP007

Let's rephrase what I'm saying:

* Teaching you to do that isn't productive. Getting your filter provider to do this IS productive and solves it for everyone.

I know you don't. You have to add it. And it has to be a validly registered extension in the Multimedia hive. Four registry values total, if I recall correctly. REALLY EASY. Teaching you to do this isn't helpful. Getting your filter provider to do it IS helpful. What filter are you using to provide this support?

You would need to readd those files once you're correctly configured. Teaching one million people to add this by hand will take one million posts. Getting the filter provider to add these correctly takes one correctly placed email and solves it for one million people. What filter provider are you using?

Zachdms is right, its the codec/filter developer's responsibility to support WMP, but most of them don't want to or care to do it. They hate WMP and see it as crappy system and all love foobar or winamp. If I am not mistaken, Microsoft has already moved passed directshow and uses different frameworks nowdays but still has directshow for compatibility. Yet, I don't know anyone outside of WMP that uses the new frameworks.

Meh if they update it or not won't bother me as MPC handles 98% of my videos. I only use WMP to play WMV files and inline content on websites as well as previewing MP3 music :p

MPC is just way more powerful and controllable.

I only hope that they don't make WMP12 too flashy like the Zune software. The main reason is because it's a bit of a killer on my graphics card! Then again, my graphics card is simply s**te. It tears on anything 3D, and I have to underclock it to stop the tearing, but the problem with nTune is that is f**ks up my PC to the state that I can only boot properly in safe mode. Luckily, you can use System Restore in Safe Mode.

Anyway, back to WMP12. I only have two requests:

• Don't use too many 3D graphics, if any
  • Please let us sync our Zunes through it!

Anyways, adding MPEG4 (.mp4) to the library properly was already covered here anyways:

* http://owlet.spaces.live.com/blog/cns!...y?wa=wsignin1.0

It doesn't really matter which player you use, it's just most effective for the people in charge of their various aspects to fix up their badness. I'll try to help advise filter makers to correct themselves same as I've tried to advise MPC and VLC of their particular issues. *shrug* I'm pretty player-agnostic here (ignoring the avatar): we just need everybody to write good software, and when people cut corners that's usually when problems crop up. =\

Anyways, adding MPEG4 (.mp4) to the library properly was already covered here anyways:

* http://owlet.spaces.live.com/blog/cns!...y?wa=wsignin1.0

It doesn't really matter which player you use, it's just most effective for the people in charge of their various aspects to fix up their badness. I'll try to help advise filter makers to correct themselves same as I've tried to advise MPC and VLC of their particular issues. *shrug* I'm pretty player-agnostic here (ignoring the avatar): we just need everybody to write good software, and when people cut corners that's usually when problems crop up. =\

That still doesn't work for me. doing everything and running that registry file still won't add .mp4 files into Video in WMP11 for me. It's still listed under OTHER. But thanks anyways I guess.

Did you add them "new" to the library? If they were already in the library, they're Other now. You would need to remove and readd them.

This is extremely the wrong thread for this discussion. This would be much better suited for the Software Discussion & Assistance forum as opposed to hijacking this thread. :)

• 1 month later...

I have to say I think it was Media player 9 which come with Windows ME was my favorite of all time, it's in the screenshot above.

I like Media Player 11 more in Vista than in XP, I agree it looks bulky in XP you can tell it was designed for "glass" in Vista but ported to XP because they somehow felt the need to do so.

My main gripe with MP11 is it's reluctance to play "FLAC" encoded tracks, I can get it to play them put it will NOT play an album, it isn't a major issue though as I keep Foobar on side for those file-types.