Windows Media Player 12

• 3 weeks later...
... even Flash now and DivX too are going H.264..
DivX has been MPEG4 since day one, so I don't really understand this comment. You probably mean that MPEG4 is popular, which makes more sense. :) I only mention this because I'm curious to see if "DivX Corporation" turns away from H264 (say by creating a new file extension...) as a means to differentiate themselves and maintain a profit incentive.
And it's not just that but Microsoft's other products have support for those formats like the Zune, the Xbox 360 or even the Vista media center extenders but Microsoft expects people to rely of registry hacks or changing file extensions in WMP to make it all work. This is very poor in terms of ease of use for consumers and relying on third parties is not a good idea given the general disinterest shown by most in developing any sort of plugin for WMP.
A: No, *people* shouldn't need to do that. There's no Microsoft expectation that you would do that yourself. It'd be hideous. Various of those registry values/keys are schemes I made, and I promise you that you are not intended to need to modify those. Those should be modified by the plug-in provider.

B: Yes, the onslaught of pirating, encouraged primarily through "codec packs", has removed the profit incentive from most plug-in projects, so you're seeing a general malaise when it comes to plug-in development. Heck, you reference FFDShow Tryouts, which is still in some strange beta form at last check, and causes tons of crashes as people run old buggy versions.

It's a pretty horrible codec world right now.

Also with WMP11 expecting filter providers to make the necessary changes is unrealistic given that 99% of people out there use a free codec like ffdshow, some of the codec packs do now make the changes to WMP but integration is still less than ideal as music/videos played from the library cannot seek, fast-forward, rewind to display the time length of a file. I ended up making my own reg patches for flac, mp4, mkv etc as I did not want to install any of those bloated codec packs but nowhere in Microsofts MSDN does it give you any tips on how to address those problems.
About 70% or so of player crashes that I see come from ""free"" codecs and codec packs, so it really is kind of important that only codecs/codec packs that are actually testing themselves add themselves.

This is actually all documented on MSDN.

I'm 100% happy with WMP11. There is one bug that I'd love to see fixed that I've complained about for years since WMP9. Maybe 8? When did the taskbar player feature get introduced?

I don't know why it won't be fixed though.

When WMP is in the taskbar as the taskbar player you should be able to right click to bring up the standard Minimize, Maximize, Close menu. That's all I want. To be able to close the taskbar player from the right click menu!

In WMP11 you can find "sweet spots" where if you right click at just the right pixel over and over again, you'll eventually get the menu. But that takes a lot longer than opening the window and closing it normally.

I still miss WMP10... I remember me finding out the beta site of it, some years ago now, and jumping around of excitement because the setup was so pretty :blush: such a good time..

Any way of getting WMP10 to work under Vista? I still got the feeling WMP11 is bugged...

• 2 weeks later...
I still miss WMP10... I remember me finding out the beta site of it, some years ago now, and jumping around of excitement because the setup was so pretty :blush: such a good time..

Any way of getting WMP10 to work under Vista? I still got the feeling WMP11 is bugged...

Too right, WMP10 was beautiful.

• 5 weeks later...

I use WMP 11 heavily and i feel is is buggy as hell

Once in a week it crashes randomly. It is such a shame because its library management feature is just so good

They should change the name instead of just tacking on 12 to it. Apart from that, there are far superior media programs out there. The CCCP Project (video) and MediaMonkey takes care of everything you possibly need.

I use WMP 11 heavily and i feel is is buggy as hell

Once in a week it crashes randomly. It is such a shame because its library management feature is just so good

Post up the crash details in the correct forum here and I'll take a look at it.

Well over half of the crashes I look at are sourced to bad third party codecs. However, it's still of benefit for me to look at the crash even if you can guess what it's sourced to in that I can wire up responses that can benefit other people too. *thumbs up*

If WMP12 can emulate every function Media Monkey has and more, then I'm willing to switch. That includes backing up play count, date added and all the other meta data.

It is broken though.

Right click > Video Size > Fit Video to Player on Resize

If you have WMP maximized it does not stretch the video to fit when you load a new video/go to next video.

If they fixed that Id be a happy man.

• 4 weeks later...

Yeah I remember when WMP 10 came out, I was like HOLY CRAP it looks amazing! I happen to like wmp11 a lot better though, I find it's UI easier to use, and I haven't had any problems with it. WMP11 definitely looks better in vista with aero though.

They really need to Fix Media Player 11 in vista, when it just runs in the back ground for no reason. And sometimes if you actually use media player to watch a video, it won't close correctly. You'll still hear the audio but media player is gone. Only way to get rid of it is to kill it in the task manager. Had it happen on 32bit and 64 bit Vista.

They really need to Fix Media Player 11 in vista, when it just runs in the back ground for no reason. And sometimes if you actually use media player to watch a video, it won't close correctly. You'll still hear the audio but media player is gone. Only way to get rid of it is to kill it in the task manager. Had it happen on 32bit and 64 bit Vista.

I use to have the same problem long ago but I don't anymore. I don't think it's media player. It could have been a sound card driver or some other windows update that fixed it for me.

• 1 month later...
Looks like its a skin, but site seems legit. PS: its on spanish

http://www.sizzledcore.com/windows-media-player-12/

It's a fake, I saw not to long ago a "Windows Live" Resources pack for WMP11

http://fediafedia.deviantart.com/art/Live-...-Ver-3-69986706

WMP12 will be in Win7 or maybe released for Vista first.

post-66198-1222615602_thumb.png