Whats the big deal with MacBook Air?

I don't see the big deal with the MacBook Air. The laptop is thinner and weigh less then the MacBook Pro but not much. MacBook Pro is only 1 inch which is only .24 inch thicker than the Air. I know the Air goes to .16 inch but if you only have .16 inch space to put it in then it would not fit becaise of it's thickest point. The computer is overprice too. For 1800$ you get a macmini speed laptop and if you want the SSD hard drive then its going to cost over 3000$ and it's not even a touch screen. If it was a touch screen then I can see paying the extra money for it but just for a thinner laptop it's really overprice. For 2500$, I can get a MacBook Pro that comes with a better GPU, CPU and a bigger screen. I really hate the keyboard layout too. I only see suckers paying for the laptop. I know, I'm hating on Mac user but I'm going to pay MacBook Pro in a couple of months and I'm typing this topic on a Mac Pro Tower. :p

I completely agree with everything you just said.

Edit: It doesn't need to be seen in real life; just look at the specs on the Apple site, they're terrible for the price.

It's a new apple product.

That's it. That's all that's the "big deal" about it.

New apple products are always badly over-priced.

And on top of that, ultra-portables are always a bad deal unless you need the ultra-portableness, regardless of brand.

It's a macbook but thinner. That's all. I can get the macbook and get a 2.0GHZ CPU.

You sir don't get it. Alongwith this apple has revolutionized the thin notebook industry. I will watch you eat your words soon.

/sarcasm. Nothing against you. :p

I don't see the big deal with the MacBook Air. The laptop is thinner and weigh less then the MacBook Pro but not much. MacBook Pro is only 1 inch which is only .24 inch thicker than the Air. I know the Air goes to .16 inch but if you only have .16 inch space to put it in then it would not fit becaise of it's thickest point. The computer is overprice too. For 1800$ you get a macmini speed laptop and if you want the SSD hard drive then its going to cost over 3000$ and it's not even a touch screen. If it was a touch screen then I can see paying the extra money for it but just for a thinner laptop it's really overprice. For 2500$, I can get a MacBook Pro that comes with a better GPU, CPU and a bigger screen. I really hate the keyboard layout too. I only see suckers paying for the laptop. I know, I'm hating on Mac user but I'm going to pay MacBook Pro in a couple of months and I'm typing this topic on a Mac Pro Tower. :p

The Air isn't meant to be a desktop replacement. It's not meant to be used for video editing (although it could). It's a sub notebook that's meant to be extremely light and portable. Why don't people understand this. The reason the specs are like they are is because if they were higher, I'm sure it would zap battery life. Keeping the specs like that was a conscious decision by Apple to keep the battery life high.

I disagree with your point about being overpriced. As far as I know, all subnotebooks are like that. You're paying a premium for the ultra portability.

The Air isn't meant to be a desktop replacement. It's not meant to be used for video editing (although it could). It's a sub notebook that's meant to be extremely light and portable. Why don't people understand this. The reason the specs are like they are is because if they were higher, I'm sure it would zap battery life. Keeping the specs like that was a conscious decision by Apple to keep the battery life high.

I disagree with your point about being overpriced. As far as I know, all subnotebooks are like that. You're paying a premium for the ultra portability.

Its just thinner than the MacBook. It's not smaller in size. I really disagree with you reply.

As a personal home user I wouldn't buy the Macbook Air, I'd rather keep my Macbook or even take a Macbook Pro since I work at home and don't need it transported.

As a college student I wouldn't buy the Macbook Air either, I'd then choose the Macbook with 2,2 Ghz, 4Gb ram and a 160Gb hdd. A normal Macbook can be transported easy in the middle class backpack with a second skin as protection.

As a business person, which I in some way am, I would get the Macbook Air. At first, the price doesn't leave me cold as it's the company paying. The size is important because I'd like to put in in my hand lugage taking up less space and weight (important in the air). It's also handy for when I test drive cars as my current Macbook did have it's issues. Last but not least, the 80Gb harddrive is an advantage in my case. The low space will make me more selective with my files in comparison with a 160Gb hdd. I will only put the essential files for work on the hdd.

I guess it's all a matter of taste and target goals. There indeed is no need for a Macbook Air as home user or student. There definately is a market for those who need to be mobile and travel a lot. The 5 hour battery is also a good option as it will raise once you turn off the WiFi capabilities. You don't need those on the plane anyway.

As a personal home user I wouldn't buy the Macbook Air, I'd rather keep my Macbook or even take a Macbook Pro since I work at home and don't need it transported.

As a college student I wouldn't buy the Macbook Air either, I'd then choose the Macbook with 2,2 Ghz, 4Gb ram and a 160Gb hdd. A normal Macbook can be transported easy in the middle class backpack with a second skin as protection.

As a business person, which I in some way am, I would get the Macbook Air. At first, the price doesn't leave me cold as it's the company paying. The size is important because I'd like to put in in my hand lugage taking up less space and weight (important in the air). It's also handy for when I test drive cars as my current Macbook did have it's issues. Last but not least, the 80Gb harddrive is an advantage in my case. The low space will make me more selective with my files in comparison with a 160Gb hdd. I will only put the essential files for work on the hdd.

I guess it's all a matter of taste and target goals. There indeed is no need for a Macbook Air as home user or student. There definately is a market for those who need to be mobile and travel a lot. The 5 hour battery is also a good option as it will raise once you turn off the WiFi capabilities. You don't need those on the plane anyway.

Lets compare the MacBook to MacBook Air:

Weight: 5.0 pounds (2.27 kg)/3.0 pounds (1.36 kg)

Height: 1.08 inches (2.75 cm)/0.76 inch (1.94 cm) <--- The thickest point is the height

Width: 12.78 inches (32.5 cm)/12.8 inches (32.5 cm)

Depth: 8.92 inches (22.7 cm)/8.94 inches (22.7 cm)

Battery Life: Up to 6 hours/Up to 5 hours

I dont see how Air would any better. You will not tell the difference. Cheaper, more powerful and better battery life. It's a overprice small Sony laptop that not a lot of people use.

Read'em and weap'em.

http://gizmodo.com/345574/is-macbook-air-w...aptops-face-off

Honestly, the XPS TRAMPLES the Air and its $300 cheaper! Sure, the battery life isn't much to wow at, but come on, 5 hours for the Air? Really? For a "ultraportable" with that sort of power to weight ratio, I'm surprised how they can even advertise 5 hours and be proud about it.

Listen, my first computer was a Mac and it continues to be my main operating machine. I've owned EVERY single G4 machine (yes including the Cube) and EVERY single G5 machine too. I have a lot of stakes in Apple in the forms of stocks and I want the company to do well! But honestly, the Air is so over-priced, and apart from the very VERY specific market it will target, everyone else will hate on it.

Honestly, anyone who is going to defend this Air is border-lining fan boy. 1 USB port? ONE?! Wait, so that means if I want to use my MX revolution, than I can't print and vise versa? If I want to CHARGE MY iPOD!, than I can't use my mouse? Whats that? When I'm at the school dorm and do not have access to wireless internet, I just not go on the internet cause there is no ethernet port? When I want to backup to Time Machine, I HAVE to buy Time Capsule or I'll be looking at not printing, using my mouse, or charging my iPod EVER because my Time Machine need to be plugged in?! As much as this computer is a ultra-portable, what YOU don't understand is that there is very few in this world that live the life style the ultra-portable is designed for and even for those who do, they still need to come home to a some-what full sized machine. While this is fine, Apple have priced this TOO much for the the MacBook Air to even be a "use-it-on-the-road-when-I-travel-but-not-as-my-main-workstation" machine! I personally own a 15inch MacBook Pro and travel with it a fair bit and it serves me FINE! At home AND on a train, plane or in an airport. The problem with the Air is not the fact that its an "ultra-portable" its the fact that the computer is not diverse enough to suite the need of most computer users. While it certainly fits very well in specific situations, when you put that thing down and sit at home, you'll start missing all the ports you won't get on that Air...

Its a good try, but while Steve maneuvered certain compromises from the "ultra-portable" line like the screen and keyboard, he have instead took on others....

Edited by NeoXY

It's definitely a nice laptop...but that's about it, for me at least. I don't like the whole "no optical drive, 1 USB port and no ethernet and no user-replaceable battery" combo, it doesn't fit my needs so that's why it doesn't appeal to me, other people might think differently :)

I felt the same way about the iPod nano, until I saw it in person.

Braun's Apple's designs strike emotion. I think it a sign of how small things are going to become.

i agree it is way overpriced just for something that is paper thin. Why would anyone want a laptop that is so damn thin! Also if you ever wanted to upgrade it you can forget that where the hell would you get a part that is paper clip thin? Ill go to newegg.com and buy my laptop at the same speed as the air for only 900$

There's a very big deal about the MacBook Air.

First you have to stop talking about the price, stop talking about that it's made by Apple because you don't like Apple, stop talking about upgrading and replacing batteries and only one usb 2.0 port. Stop ranting and brandishing your 'for that price I could buy a .....' when you know you will wet your pants when you see one and hold one.

You have to start looking and listening and reading.

The MacBook Air is a phenomenally important pc that will innovate the design of other similar products the way the iPhone has with the mobile phone market. It's not a replacement for a portable that most of us have as a desktop replacement. It's a pc for a mobile generation.

Lets compare the MacBook to MacBook Air:

Weight: 5.0 pounds (2.27 kg)/3.0 pounds (1.36 kg)

Height: 1.08 inches (2.75 cm)/0.76 inch (1.94 cm) <--- The thickest point is the height

Width: 12.78 inches (32.5 cm)/12.8 inches (32.5 cm)

Depth: 8.92 inches (22.7 cm)/8.94 inches (22.7 cm)

Battery Life: Up to 6 hours/Up to 5 hours

I dont see how Air would any better. You will not tell the difference. Cheaper, more powerful and better battery life. It's a overprice small Sony laptop that not a lot of people use.

True but I still see a lot of people buying them. Can't help myself. I wouldn't buy one on my own but I get mine from work, I'm not going to say no.

There's a very big deal about the MacBook Air.

First you have to stop talking about the price, stop talking about that it's made by Apple because you don't like Apple, stop talking about upgrading and replacing batteries and only one usb 2.0 port. Stop ranting and brandishing your 'for that price I could buy a .....' when you know you will wet your pants when you see one and hold one.

You have to start looking and listening and reading.

The MacBook Air is a phenomenally important pc that will innovate the design of other similar products the way the iPhone has with the mobile phone market. It's not a replacement for a portable that most of us have as a desktop replacement. It's a pc for a mobile generation.

I would agree with you about the iPhone but not the MacBook Air. Thinner does not mean innovate.

They made it thin and not too heavy, not to mention lack certain things, but that's ok. My theory is this, who knows, Apple might might of released this specifically so the Will It Blend people can fit one inside a blender. Sorry guys, I couldn't resist. =)

The thinness is only one part of the whole deal.

Whats the other part because I dont see it. It's an Apple product is the only thing I see.

I see it as more of a flagship than a product. they'll become reasonably priced and practical, i think its just apple saying "look what we can do now" which is fair enough

Think of it as a supplemental laptop. No way is this going to be your on stop source for all your computer needs.

Now 1800 bucks for a supplemental computer? Thats a different story :)