Whats the big deal with MacBook Air?

Look, guys. This is not a full computer. Get that out of your system. It is a note taking machine that can do basic tasks. Yes, it is expensive, but like the iPod, it will get cheaper eventually. This is only the first step. Soon, all of you will want a companion machine.

Look, guys. This is not a full computer. Get that out of your system. It is a note taking machine that can do basic tasks. Yes, it is expensive, but like the iPod, it will get cheaper eventually. This is only the first step. Soon, all of you will want a companion machine.

If you need a small note-taking device, why this over the EEE PC?

The EEE PC:

Wifi. Check.

Fast boot times. Check.

Flash storage. Check.

Security from viruses. Check.

Does basic web browsing, e-mail, word processing. Check.

Small and portable. Check.

The MBA a good first attempt, but it's still a companion machine to a computer that you already have. And for $1800, I'll take the MBP with the EDU discount.

For someone like me, the EEE PC would be the perfect companion PC. It's small enough to fit on small desks in classrooms (a lot of my college classrooms have half desks that are really too small for laptops), has wifi, takes notes, gets on the interweb. If I didn't already have a laptop, I would've looked at the EEE PC or even MB, as that's plenty small too.

What's funny is that before the MacBook Air, no one ever complained that the MacBook was this huge, behemoth of a machine. It's really not. The MacBook is still extremely portable and lightweight. Unless you are obsessed with having as thin and lightweight a machine as possible, there's little reason to get the Air over the standard MacBook.

you do realize that this hard drive is from their ipod line don't you? You have an IPOD hardrive in your laptop

It's just a 1.8" hard drive. They're used in more devices than the iPod.

mac fanboyism at it's finest.

Trolling at its finest. (See, I can play that game too :) )

It's definitely a nice laptop...but that's about it, for me at least. I don't like the whole "no optical drive, 1 USB port and no ethernet and no user-replaceable battery" combo, it doesn't fit my needs so that's why it doesn't appeal to me, other people might think differently :)

Why don't more people think like you guys? This machine isn't going to appeal to everybody, just the people who want a subnotebook instead of a full size laptop.

There are too many possible (and entirely likely) scenarios that would be made highly frustrating and counter-productive by having 1 USB port.

- Charging iPod

- Using a printer

- Using removable HDD

- Using a mouse

- Using a USB ethernet adaptor

- Using a pen-drive

- Using any type dongle

Yes, you can buy a hub. That's a redundant argument as the entire premise of Air is minimalism. Why make a thin laptop which needs additional hardware to offer 'normal' functionality. And by normal, I mean what the consumer is used to; and we're used to more than one USB port.

One cannot use the excuse that 'wireless is better than wired anyway' either. In some cases, wired may be mandatory. You cannot expect all networks to have wireless. This reason alone makes the Air a poor choice for the business person.

Unless you're a keyboard-shortcut novelist/writer/pro blogger who has access to open wireless networks everywhere I cannot see the logic in the functionality/size trade-off. Hell, the normal MacBook's are tiny anyway; themselves marketed as ultra-thin.

I think it looks cool, could be perfect for >1% of the laptop market, but is essentially a marketing product - a chest beating exercise.

The good thing is, people with an ounce of logic realise this and stay away. People who want a flashy toy jump right in, and that's exactly who Apple are targeting. Let them, who cares. Fan-boys and haters get far too emotionally involved in this sort of thing when in reality it makes no shred of difference to their lives what other consumer buy/ do not buy. Chill out :?)

There are too many possible (and entirely likely) scenarios that would be made highly frustrating and counter-productive by having 1 USB port.

- Charging iPod

- Using a printer

- Using removable HDD

- Using a mouse

- Using a USB ethernet adaptor

- Using a pen-drive

- Using any type dongle

Yes, you can buy a hub. That's a redundant argument as the entire premise of Air is minimalism. Why make a thin laptop which needs additional hardware to offer 'normal' functionality. And by normal, I mean what the consumer is used to; and we're used to more than one USB port.

It has 1 USB port?.. wtf... last time I saw that was when USB 1.0 came out.. all the laptops got 1 USB port..

Why are we regressing? Does this have something to do with the "baby-talk" being used by half the people on the forums as well? HMMM..

It has 1 USB port?.. wtf... last time I saw that was when USB 1.0 came out.. all the laptops got 1 USB port..

Why are we regressing? Does this have something to do with the "baby-talk" being used by half the people on the forums as well? HMMM..

That's the Apple style, always their first generation hardware sucks! but then the second generation come and you will see more features and less expensive.

What's the big deal?

Go to Apple.com and check it out. Take a good look at the kind of hardware design that is wrapped around the already amazing OS design.

Then ask yourself what the real significance is of no optical drive (if the lack of one really bothers you, which it shouldn't.)

At some point between all this, have a look at Jobs' keynote. Yes, it's OK to be really enthusiastic about great products.

If you still think that the Macbook Air - which is simply a microcosm of Apple's overarching philosophy of the ideal relationship between people and their tools - is no big deal, then all that can be said is that you either lack the vision necessary to grasp its significance, or you simply aren't there yet but on the way.

Good luck in your journey.

yeah the Airs an ok machine, different, its got its flaws, myself personally would go for the usual macbooks instead, as would many others, many of the PC users bashing it would never buy it either.

So the question to ask, if I'm not buying, if many Mac users arn't going to buy and if the PC users arn't going to buy it, is there any reason to get up tight on if works or not or if it flops cause either way its not going to matter to most of us anyway, great for Apple if it succedes, a big so what if it fails.

The reason why it is so great is because it is the thinnest and lightest laptop in the world. Don't ask me why this is so important, but I guess Apple just wanted to make people think that the smallest laptop in the world was sooo great, when you can just get a regular MacBook for $1099.

The reason why it is so great is because it is the thinnest and lightest laptop in the world. Don't ask me why this is so important, but I guess Apple just wanted to make people think that the smallest laptop in the world was sooo great, when you can just get a regular MacBook for $1099.

Now, if they'd also given it a 11" screen, instead of 13" (plus I don't really like the massive palm rest)

Hopefully another USB port, then I might be singing a different tune

To tell you the truth, I'm really, really surprised that it only came with one USB port. DVD drive bay not included I can understand while the lack of Ethernet is still quite acceptable but one USB port really cripples it. Apple are so focused on the wireless part that they forgot that most devices still use USB to communicate to one another.

I would also have thought that since Apple were pioneers where technology is concerned, they would have been one of the first, if not the first to use Wireless USB. It could solve the Macbook Air's Achilles Heel with its lack of ports. How far has Wireless USB come actually? I know they're competing with Bluetooth 3.0 and something Sony just cooked up to get into the fray, but overall, Wireless USB looks the most standards completed.

The only problem left is the irremovable Apple removable battery :p !

Scirwode

The one USB port would screw me up. I have all my music on an external Hard Drive (USB powered) so...

With only one USB port its a bit hard not only to power the hard drive, but where do I put my Ipod connection?

:blink:

Oh.. it's not a FULL computer.. but it cost over TWICE as much as a full computer would. Gotchya!

The one USB port would screw me up. I have all my music on an external Hard Drive (USB powered) so...

With only one USB port its a bit hard not only to power the hard drive, but where do I put my Ipod connection?

:blink:

My father is actually very interested in it! He doesn't mind having one USB port as he wants something so light that he can carry it with his books to his lectures. Considering most of his books are thick slabs in Aeronautical, Electrical and Mechanical Engineering, I can see why. The fact that the battery is non removable seals the deal :laugh: ! He has had some bad battery experiences with an old Acer notebook circa 1999 so with my father having a very long memory, he got himself a Mac Mini which is small and portable.

Now though, he is getting quite intent on the Macbook Air. I don't know whether to encourage or discourage him though :laugh: !

Scirwode

If you need a small note-taking device, why this over the EEE PC?

The EEE PC:

Wifi. Check.

Fast boot times. Check.

Flash storage. Check.

Security from viruses. Check.

Does basic web browsing, e-mail, word processing. Check.

Small and portable. Check.

The MBA a good first attempt, but it's still a companion machine to a computer that you already have. And for $1800, I'll take the MBP with the EDU discount.

For someone like me, the EEE PC would be the perfect companion PC. It's small enough to fit on small desks in classrooms (a lot of my college classrooms have half desks that are really too small for laptops), has wifi, takes notes, gets on the interweb. If I didn't already have a laptop, I would've looked at the EEE PC or even MB, as that's plenty small too.

QFT.

I suppose, being so thin and light, while being 13.3" does give the MBa an advantage. You can use it as a paper plane. :D

I'd get an eee myself, does everything, as you said, sure, smaller screen, but smaller size overall (thickness in a non-issue when it's smaller than a few magazines) and being 20% of the price, it's no contest really.

cute

I wonder how much hard disk space he had left.

A eeepc is getting very tempting :-)

In the comments, someone asked how much space was left, and he said roughly 2GB. If I remember correctly, that's about how much the original OS install took up.

Edit: And I agree about it being tempting. I think I might get one for my brother :)