PS3 Media Server / Universal Media Server Guide

I just transcoded a movie using the updated tutorial and it looks amazing on my LCD TV in 720p :woot:

All I need is some basic speakers to experience the sound.

off-topic Can anyone recommend a basic 2.1 set of speakers for an LCD TV?

I've done two films now and both have been transcoded rather then remuxed, I'm thinking it might be because I'm adding subtitles. Will I lose any quality if the film is transcoded rather then remuxed?

I just transcoded a movie using the updated tutorial and it looks amazing on my LCD TV in 720p :woot:

All I need is some basic speakers to experience the sound.

off-topic Can anyone recommend a basic 2.1 set of speakers for an LCD TV?

If you're doing 720p movies it will be remuxing not transcoding ;)

I've done two films now and both have been transcoded rather then remuxed, I'm thinking it might be because I'm adding subtitles. Will I lose any quality if the film is transcoded rather then remuxed?

Yeah if you add subtitles it will ALWAYS be transcoded for now - Only way to get them.

There is a loss in quality transcoding, but it shouldn't be a big hit, and probably not all that noticeable.

I have to say mkv2vob is amazing i converted all my 720p movies last night and they are all now streaming perfectly over my wireless network to my PC, im actually watching TMNT just now and it look awsome.

I have to say mkv2vob is amazing i converted all my 720p movies last night and they are all now streaming perfectly over my wireless network to my PC, im actually watching TMNT just now and it look awsome.

Hows your streaming over wireless?

I used to do wireless pc to wireless PS3 and it was quite laggy. Sometimes it would be ok, othertimes not - With 720p movies.

Now I can stream wired, or else I just use TVersity to copy a file onto my PS3 hard drive.

The only time i have had any lag is when i was streaming 1080p movies but never had a problem with 720p movies.

I think there is a few different factors that you have to take in to consideration when streaming wireless like how far away is you router from the PS3, how thick are the walls in your house. i have my router on the floor in the other room so dont know if that maybe helps and i have a g+ router.

Matthew

I have a g router and when i was doing it wireless it would stream 720p files ok sometimes and sometimes it would lag.. 1080p files would lag alot!! and freeze up!

I have a g router and when i was doing it wireless it would stream 720p files ok sometimes and sometimes it would lag.. 1080p files would lag alot!! and freeze up!

G band routers can suffer. G+, speedbooster and MIMO routers should be better. It also depends on the setup you have - if the router isn't able to give 100% signal that wont help.

I have an N band router and even though the PS3 wont use the N band I've had no lag at all streaming any files over wireless.

Thats good! I had my signal at 100%, the router is in the same room just didn't have a wire long enough! so i went to fry's to get one and everything is perfect!

Thats good! I had my signal at 100%, the router is in the same room just didn't have a wire long enough! so i went to fry's to get one and everything is perfect!

As always, if you can use a wire, do! It will give you better bandwidth 100% of the time on the PS3 and any B/G wireless device. Only when we start looking at N does the wire look old fashioned.

So would there have to be a wire going from the ps3 to the router and a wire going from the router to the PC ?

Not really. Under normal circumstances if at least one of the 2 components is wired it helps reduce lag, and will have more chance of streaming HD content. It all depends on the signal strength between the wireless device.

Of course if you have a wire connecting both PS3 and PC to the router it will be the best you can get it and is the best setup to have if you can.

Sorry for the double post :pinch:

Forgot to ask this too:

The update to mkv2vob allows us to choose a transcoding codec, what codec was it using before we were allowed to choose it?

Does mkv2vob support Vista x64? I keep getting an error when trying to add a file.

Yes it does!

What does the error say?

Run-time error '75':

Path/File access error

Have you got any strange characters in your path?

Copy the file to the root of the drive and try it.

from my understanding they are "piracy" because you are getting them illegaly online! but lets not go down that road here! lets keep to the subject!

from my understanding they are "piracy" because you are getting them illegaly online! but lets not go down that road here! lets keep to the subject!

Grey area. Nobody fully knows if it is, or isnt piracy... I pay my TV license, I also pay Sky and there is nothing to stop me Sky+'ing a show, or recording a show to DVD and sharing with friends/family. Same thing.