PS3 Media Server / Universal Media Server Guide

I am not sure about you guys about the ps3 media center SUCKS!!! but this guy made this...

it is freaking awsome!!! not sure if he will be releasing this soon but take a look!!!

There is nothing wrong at all with PS3 Media Server

I am not sure about you guys about the ps3 media center SUCKS!!! but this guy made this...

it is freaking awsome!!! not sure if he will be releasing this soon but take a look!!!

You realise that this is just a web plugin for the PS3 Media Server program? So really it's just a better looking front end to going via the Video tab and choosing PMS :)

exactly looks alot better!! Having the Movie Icons with info on the movies is awsome!!!

I guy called Boz (from here, in this thread) has created something that allows you to have the proper covers etc. I use that now and it's superb.

I guy called Boz (from here, in this thread) has created something that allows you to have the proper covers etc. I use that now and it's superb.

Exactly, other than the flash interface i see no real gain to it...

Thumbnail generator is here (Y)

The ability to Control all your movies and view them with cover. The way the PS3MediaServer has is nice but this is WAY Better!!!

This is how the XBOX 360 looks in your tv! I just dont like the 360 as much as the ps3

post-20364-12693550587582_thumb.png

post-20364-12693552748241_thumb.jpg

The ability to Control all your movies and view them with cover. The way the PS3MediaServer has is nice but this is WAY Better!!!

This is how the XBOX 360 looks in your tv! I just dont like the 360 as much as the ps3

That is pretty sweet! Be nice to have something like that but at present I'm more than happy with the Boz thumbnail generator and PMS. Maybe one day this will happen but it's not really needed imo,

well I looked high and Low!! but nothing is out there for the PS3 user! so right now we are stuck with just the cover!

Hope to soon have this working

so I gave up! and I am now using PS3MediaServer wich is pretty good, it kinda quits on me once in a while but the covers are nice. I dont know if its only me but when I go to the website to make covers after I apply and click save after the save my IE8 crashes on me? anyone else having this problem!

Ok, so stupid ripping questions. I browsed back a bit but didn't see anything. Since the PS3 upconverts DVDs, is there anyway to get it to apply its logic to local playback? Or is it better to try and increase to 1080 during the encoding process?

I don't stream myself since my wireless signal is weak at times. Copying over for playback only takes a couple minutes and is something I can live with. I currently rip with DVD Decryptor and then convert to mp4 with Handbrake's default profile. Is there a better way to maintain quality/size while 'keeping it easy'?

Ok, so stupid ripping questions. I browsed back a bit but didn't see anything. Since the PS3 upconverts DVDs, is there anyway to get it to apply its logic to local playback? Or is it better to try and increase to 1080 during the encoding process?

I don't stream myself since my wireless signal is weak at times. Copying over for playback only takes a couple minutes and is something I can live with. I currently rip with DVD Decryptor and then convert to mp4 with Handbrake's default profile. Is there a better way to maintain quality/size while 'keeping it easy'?

The PS3 already upscales local media for you (2.40 Firmware) but obviously it cant work miracles if the original file is poor.

Media Changes

New sorting options have been added for items in the [Video] category.

The ability to print a photo playlist has been added.

Support for MP3 Surround format audio has been added.

Video content stored on the hard drive can now be upscaled to HD quality.

but DVD quality compared to a 1080p movie is completely different!!!

I agree totally, but as he is ripping and considering trying to increase to 1080 during the encode I am assuming that the source is of DVD quality to start with anyway?

Thanks, I didn't see that bullet point about the Sony update. That is good to know. I personally do notice that DVDs look much better upconverted by the PS3 than my older standalone DVD player. I just want to mimic that experince as much as possible while also keeping the library size down. My logic was that if a 480 DVD was upconverted by the PS3, then I would have to self-upconvert to have a similar experince. That is very cool that it isn't the case.

I've just started dabbling with ripping to the PS3 and trying to figure out a good system. My main issue right now is that I'm getting comb lines in high action/movement scenes. Other than that I'm aiming to keep movie size under 2GB or so. Is there any reason to not use mp4 directly? Choice encoder?

Thanks, I didn't see that bullet point about the Sony update. That is good to know. I personally do notice that DVDs look much better upconverted by the PS3 than my older standalone DVD player. I just want to mimic that experince as much as possible while also keeping the library size down. My logic was that if a 480 DVD was upconverted by the PS3, then I would have to self-upconvert to have a similar experince. That is very cool that it isn't the case.

I've just started dabbling with ripping to the PS3 and trying to figure out a good system. My main issue right now is that I'm getting comb lines in high action/movement scenes. Other than that I'm aiming to keep movie size under 2GB or so. Is there any reason to not use mp4 directly? Choice encoder?

why dont you PURCHASE!!! 1080p movies ONLINE!!! trust me it makes a big difference....

why dont you PURCHASE!!! 1080p movies ONLINE!!! trust me it makes a big difference....

DRM and with the Sony store, 1080p films are currently only available for rental?

That sounds like a viable option for new movies but my main concern is a few DVD titles I already own and don't plan on repurchasing. I'm not starting with MKV so I've just been curious to see what the best alternative methodology is.

That begs the question though, how restrictive is Sony's DRM? I like Steam but it chaps my ass that title ownership is reaching a new low. Not being able to sell/trade is a huge issue for me.

There are other means of getting 1080p Movies online (MKV)?? Trust me its way better. I started my collection back in 2003 with my dvds but when I found MKV's man I jumped on it! Takes time dont get me wrong but when you are watching and listening to your movies you and your guest will say "Wow!"

Latest version

Windows: http://ps3mediaserve...20.409-BETA.exe

Linux: http://ps3mediaserve...20.409-BETA.tgz

MAC: http://ps3mediaserve....php?f=7&t=1635

changelog between r409 and r400:

UTF8 issues ?

No more crashes on Linux/OSX

MP4 Video Cover Art

Other small issues

Performance changes with videos folder scan

Audio ! i have to say tyvm. i was looking for a blueray player and so i got a ps3 120 slim and this guide was simple and easy .

picked up GOW3 as well ! also im wanting to upgrade my HD what would you or anyone else recommend

Audio ! i have to say tyvm. i was looking for a blueray player and so i got a ps3 120 slim and this guide was simple and easy .

picked up GOW3 as well ! also im wanting to upgrade my HD what would you or anyone else recommend

Any 2.5" 5400RPM laptop drive will do fine. Just pick a brand name you're comfortable with.

Most people go for 320GB, it seems to be the best pick in ratio of size to pricing. 120GB is fine for me though, as I stream all my media I only have PlayTV recordings (which you can take off the PS3 externally anyway) and game software on the hard drive.