• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

What was your biggest problem with Windows ME?

roadgeek9    0

Windows ME was probably the worst version of Windows. I would like to know, what was your biggest problem with it?

I personally was okay with Windows ME, the only kind of machines that would accept it were those weird machines. I still preferred 2000. Windows ME had one serious bug in Internet Explorer where it would ask you if you wanted to debug on every other website.

EDIT - I stopped with the Vista bashing from this point on (August 2008)

Edited by roadgeek9

Impact    0

Vista has been the best but whatever... I don't want to start another flamewar with all the vista haters.

A friend had it on his PC and it was really annoying because it crashed for no apparent reason all of the time.

roadgeek9    0

That was a problem with ME.

Evolution    16

Well Vista is probably the best but ok....

I guess one of the problems was that it also didn't offer much more than 98... yes they introduced System Restore then, but that was pretty much it.

hjf288    68

It had System restore but it crashed like hell...

Rob2687    72

Everything caused a blue screen.

LunarFalcon    0

^and unfortunately, system restore rarely worked effectively

FATILA    4

Problem with it is that it was on the market for only a small amount of time before being orphaned, also a lot of user error expecting 98 drivers to be stable on ME.

Lexcyn    88
Everything caused a blue screen.

That pretty much sums it up. I remember getting a BSOD for clicking the Start menu once. After that I knew it was time to "upgrade" back to 98SE... lol. Ahh those were the days.

• Like 1

random_n    61

Disabling system restore helped a good deal with the stability thing, and it was generally faster than '98. It still just crashed way too much, and even though it had less than perfect driver compatibility with Windows 98, it would never complain if you loaded a '98-only driver. It would just crash more.

So yeah... stability was the main thing, even with System Restore off.

With Vista, my beefs are speed, and obnoxious shell layout/UI decisions. And the speed thing has been getting better with the service pack development releases. :)

whocares78    0

you defianltey cant compare it to vista, i dont like vista that much but there is no way it is anywhere near as bad as ME, hell even microsoft realsied after a few months it was a waste of time even trying to fix it.. i rememebr goign to an MS conference and the MS speaker said it was a waste fo space...

for me i had it isntalled for a week before i rolled back to XP, and same issues as pretty much everyone above, EVERYTHING casued a blue screen !!!!

Lewism    43

I remember when I bought my first computer with ME and after 3 days it crashed so bad, I decided to put Win98 on it.

whocares78    0
Problem with it is that it was on the market for only a small amount of time before being orphaned, also a lot of user error expecting 98 drivers to be stable on ME.

i am glad it was only on the market for a small amount of time, i would of had to roll back so many more machines if it had stayed on the market..:)

Max    50
Windows ME was probably the worst version of Windows next to Vista. I would like to know, what was your biggest problem with it?

I personally was okay with Windows ME, the only kind of machines that would accept it were those weird machines. I still preferred 2000. Windows ME had one serious bug in Internet Explorer where it would ask you if you wanted to debug on every other website.

Turn off the debugger?

Never had a problem with Windows ME. Had it from release day up to XP's release day. Was faster than 98SE and worked well.

waruikoohii    1

Well, honestly, I never had a problem with ME that I didn't have with 95/98/98SE.

The reason most people dislike it is because they went into it with expectations of it being better than 98 SE, and it wasn't really. It was pretty similar, stability wise, feature wise (System Restore was new, but eh).

knightracer    2

WinMe would BSOD on me during installation. Right off the bat, I should have known what I was getting myself into at the time.

RangerLG    42

I can say that I personally had fewer crashes with ME than SE. It also had much better USB support than SE. I had multiple crashes in SE while ME only crashed on driver issues, and that was once or twice.

roadgeek9    0

I think I liked one thing about ME over 98, that was the addition of flash drive drivers.

Cube    0

I found it to be faster than win 98 but less stable. WinME was not much of an upgrade to win 98 and Vista should not be compared with it.

notuptome2004    165

i had Windows ME on a Pentium 233mhz MMX with 256megs of ram at the time and it was far faster in some things then 98se but after about 4 weeks it started to BSOD and everything and have application issues not starting but it was Faster and that is all it offerd over 98se was being faster maby 8% faster

markjensen    98

Here is an un-problem with WinME that I had.

Win98SE would work with my Canon scanner, or my Kodak camera. Once I used one or the other, it would refuse to recognize my other imaging device until I did a reboot. ME used both without any conflict.

Yes, it was more sluggish than 98. But in my case it wasn't any less stable. And it fixed what was a major problem for device access for me.

seta-san    1,354

you can make ME almost as stable as SE just by disabling system restore. System Restore was responsible for most of the problems.

NateB1    75

I had the unfortunate opportunity to use it at a place I was working for. I had to reboot it about 5 times a day minimum. It was that bad.

You can't even compare it to Vista - the very few BSODs I've had were related to poorly written drivers. Vista is Microsoft's best OS, IMO. Flawed, yes, but the best one they've made so far.

Edited by NateB1

Draconian Guppy    13,037

it would crash with napster :ermm: seriously I remember that it would hang after leaving it on for a couple of days.

Biotoxic_hazard_835    151

Windows ME was a piece of crap. Simply put it crashed for no reason whatsoever and without any warning.

Bio