What was your biggest problem with Windows ME?

Windows Me was way to unstable..... it was installed on my wife's Gateway laptop, and she constantly lost all schoolwork assignments to the point that she became a nervous wreck. She would be working on a term paper, save it, get up to do something and upon her return everything was gone....... even her saved files. I finally made sure that she saved her work in multiple places in order to safeguard it.

I couldn't wait to switch to XP in order to get rid of this horrible OS.

Haha, somehow I'm getting curious...

Let's see if my if my friend still has his copy so I can try it out in a VM.

Everything caused a blue screen.

Sounds like it's one of these old trial and error Sierra adventures :lol:

"Too bad, you caused a BSOD again"

I never had a problem with Windows ME, it was as stable as any of the other 9x's

The thing i found with Windows ME was that games ran slightly faster on it. Generally i thought it was pretty snappy when compared to Windows 98 and 98SE. It had the same sort of speed as Win95.

I thought it was the best of the Win9x line, with Win2k being the best of the NT Line.

I used it at my friend's house alot and it was quite annoying. Thumbnail view was quite cool... but apart from that ARGH!

Personally, I upgraded from 98 -> XP, :-)

I remember how it wouldn't make floppy boot disks. That was the ONLY thing I had problems with. I always thought Windows ME was better than Windows 98 and crashed less often, I'm a minority. :)

It worked okay on my old PIII 750 MHz, 256 MB RAM Dell laptop that ran XP a little too slowly. Then I switched over to Windows 2000 because I figured that 2000 would just be faster and Windows 9x was still pretty sucky.

had some nice videos on the installation cd tough .. altough nothing beats 95's weezer!

it was the endless crashing that did it for me... i quickly went back to 2k / 98 and later to some Whistler beta's.

ps .. don't get me started on how terribly wrong the Vista == ME comparison is .. Vista is nowhere near the "suckness" of ME.

Vista is a bit slower on un-optimized / older systems .. yeah .. but ME2 it ain't. it runs faster then XP on my machines...

But let's not do the whole vista/anti-vista thing again .. run whatever you want .. just not ME ;)

I mean, if you have 3 GB RAM+, then you are in good shape to run Vista. But my computer only has 1.5 GB RAM, so I had difficulty running Windows Vista on my laptop, which lead me back to running Windows XP again.

the fact that it crashed twice in the 10 minute span between booting the pc that it was installed on and grabbing the win2k disk. brand new machine, at the time.

those ten minutes make up the entirety of my winME experiences.

• 1 month later...

Urgh, if I remember correctly, my biggest issue was:-

Kernel32.DLL has caused an exception

or something very similar, but god help you if you clicked OK, almost guaranteed BSOD heading your way!

Oh, those were the 'fun' days. :p