What was your biggest problem with Windows ME?

kernatch
Windows 2000 was my favorite OS until I got my new laptop in 2005 with Windows XP. I am not much of a Vista fan.

Come on! Windows 9x was extremely reliable, as reliable as trying to get my cat to clean the garage for me.

Were you using computers before Windows 2000?

Pygmy_Hippo

Add me to the list of those who had no problems with ME :)

It was fast as hell and I can't remember it ever BSOD'ing - I did have a fairly vanilla setup tho, so that probably helped.

I never did understand all the negativity surrounding ME, but to be honest I feel the same way about Vista. I've had it since day one and it's never crashed and even when the occasional program has gone down it hasn't taken the OS with it. Guess I must just be a n00b who isn't trying hard enough! :D

roadgeek9
Were you using computers before Windows 2000?

My Grandparent's computer used Windows 95 back in the late 90s, I remember it sucking. My first computer used Windows 98. My first laptop ran Windows 2000. Then I got my current laptop, it runs Windows XP.

Ajapi

My father and I both installed Windows ME shortly after it was released. His case is the typical, stereotypical unstable mess you'll hear about whenever the ill-fated operating system is mentioned on forums. I, on the other hand, was far luckier. I had no problems whatsoever with it, with little instability to speak of. All in all, I found it to be a nice upgrade from Windows 98. My father didn't and quickly went back to his trusty 98 :p

August 28th, 2001: the day operating system issues died. Windows XP was, and still is in my opinion, surprisingly robust. I'm running Vista on my laptop and secondary PC, but my main rig is still on XP (and will be for the foreseeable future).

Yuxi

Windows ME was just too unreliable for me.

Vista, on the other hand, can go weeks without restarting (except for installing updates) :D

roadgeek9
post-23707-1216834392_thumb.jpg

Nice. :)

The2

It's actually sad that they had to invent System restore in the first place.

I have never needed system restore from XP to Vista. I always disable it (spyware likes to grow in the system restore folders xD)

and btw. Windows 2000 are the best windows ever (they made the biggest advance from windows before!)

roadgeek9
It's actually sad that they had to invent System restore in the first place.

It's kind of like branding your product of having the best customer service. Well, if I want the product, I would not like to even have to call customer service.

zeta_immersion

take your pic ... my buddy bought a computer Me installed and then asked me to install some programs ... none would work, a format later with the resque cds and again nothing .. the system would just not go (same goes for drivers don't get me started on those) ... i ended up putting xp on it, and works fine up to now ..... old system tho... very old.

goatsniffer

I actually never had issues with WinME, supprisingly. I had it on an HP machine with a 500MHz Celeron (Ahh, the good old days). I remember the drivers for WinME we better on that systems and I could eek out a few more frames in Jedi Outcast.

• 2 weeks later...
Quillz
Indeed. Windows 2000 was my favorite OS until Vista came along. I never was a huge fan of XP.

Neither was I. I loved Windows 98, and I used it from 1998 to until late 2004, when I finally switched to XP SP2. And while I appreciated the technical advancements of XP, I just never really cared for it. Vista, however, I've been using since RC1 and I just love it. I even like it better than Leopard, and I'm actually going to be switching from the Mac back to PCs soon.

alisalem

What was the point of it?

That was my problem.

• 2 weeks later...
MikeChipshop

Never had a problem with it, no BSODs, No crashes or anything. It came pre-installed on a new box at the time so i guess i was one of the lucky ones... my friends on the other hand mostly all had hard times.

roadgeek9
Never had a problem with it, no BSODs, No crashes or anything. It came pre-installed on a new box at the time so i guess i was one of the lucky ones... my friends on the other hand mostly all had hard times.

I think that's the case with Vista. It doesn't really like computers made before mid-2006 (unless you're like me and lucky), but anything newer, and its loved.

afusion

Random BSOD every 10-20 minutes.(I was kid that time I didn't know much about computers back then but I'm assuming now it was drivers)

I was running it on that good ol Pentium II

C_Guy

I don't know what everyone's problem is, Windows Me was a great product. NO problems if you knew what you were doing. And even if you didn't they introduced a great new feature, System Restore.

Windows Me was a great step between 98 and XP. Very glad I had it.

roadgeek9
I don't know what everyone's problem is, Windows Me was a great product. NO problems if you knew what you were doing. And even if you didn't they introduced a great new feature, System Restore.

It is known for being a hiding place for spyware.

+Gary7

System Restore was the only good thing about it.

roadgeek9
System Restore was the only good thing about it.

But it's not really that effective - I tried it once in XP, but it didn't solve my problem.

+Gary7
But it's not really that effective - I tried it once in XP, but it didn't solve my problem.

Maybe so but it Vista it works great. It restores everything to the way it was when a RP was made.

roadgeek9
Maybe so but it Vista it works great. It restores everything to the way it was when a RP was made.

But it has been known that some spyware attempts to hide in the System Restore folder, because most antispyware programs don't check the System Restore folder.

+Gary7
But it has been known that some spyware attempts to hide in the System Restore folder, because most antispyware programs don't check the System Restore folder.

That is why I clean mine out on a routine basis.

Denis W.

So the story went like this...

Let's rewind back to December 2000. I had a Win95-era IBM Aptiva 2168-A50 PC (I think that's it...) which was in need of an OS upgrade. I was one of the very few who was still stuck on Windows 95 while everyone else was on Windows 98 (SE). So I, being a relatively new computer noob at the time, went down to Future Shop to pick up Windows 98. One problem - it was gone by then. What's this? "Take ME home!" Okay then, so I come home with this thing called Windows Millennium Edition.

I pop it in, install it, and... holy geez it's taking forever to start up. Hey, where's the sound? Little did I realize that my computer was right at Windows Me's minimum specs to run. :laugh: The only things I got to check out was that CD Player was replaced with this Media Player that looked like total arse (what were they thinking?), there were Windows 98 Plus! themes bundled in, Help was this full screen Web page, and... it was slow. That's it.

I was lucky enough to get my dad to successfully convince a Future Shop salesperson to buy our story that no, this OS is way too dog slow, would you please take it back? I wasn't aware back then CDs could be duplicated in a matter of minutes. :p

The following year I was able to get Windows 98 SE for my computer. That lasted me until February 2003. The problem with the sound was my computer had some really antiquated Mwave drivers which definitely wasn't WDM compliant in any way.

Since then my computers have been more than capable enough to run newer Windows releases. So you won't see me going too harsh on people complaining Vista's too slow for their computers. Been there, done that, wasn't something funny.

aussiefloyd_fan

I hate me.. (isnt that funny?)

Reacon

I used it when I was 9 on my mom's old piece of $#17. One time it crashed and never came back up.