What was your biggest problem with Windows ME?

• 3 weeks later...

I remember how it wouldn't make floppy boot disks. That was the ONLY thing I had problems with. I always thought Windows ME was better than Windows 98 and crashed less often, I'm a minority. :)

^and unfortunately, system restore rarely worked effectively

Why are you talking in past tense? System Restore STILL doesn't work effectively.

Windows ME was probably the worst version of Windows next to Vista. I would like to know, what was your biggest problem with it?

I personally was okay with Windows ME, the only kind of machines that would accept it were those weird machines. I still preferred 2000. Windows ME had one serious bug in Internet Explorer where it would ask you if you wanted to debug on every other website.

That's an ignorant statement I would say about Vista.

I skipped straight to the bottom on this one so I didn't read other peoples comments but I'm sure they agree.

Windows Me was not stable at all. Bsod, Freeze, Bsod, Freeze, Bsod, Freeze.

BSOD's constantly. there was no pattern to them and they all gave different error codes. i never found the cause; even after multiple re-installations :wacko:

Had ME for less than a month... went to copy a CD and the system died. No BSOD, no warnings noting. Turns out ME fried some components and other things. Sad part, it was a brand new PC too. Went back to 98 and loved it till I went to XP.

Had ME for less than a month... went to copy a CD and the system died. No BSOD, no warnings noting. Turns out ME fried some components and other things. Sad part, it was a brand new PC too. Went back to 98 and loved it till I went to XP.

:| Are you trying to say that the OS was responsible for hardware failure?

Why are you talking in past tense? System Restore STILL doesn't work effectively.

It's getting better though... but I still had a BSOD last Summer when I used it in Vista. Somehow I think it's just bad luck in my ase because none of my friends *ever* had a problem with system restore (or they are just being lucky ;) ).

Back to topic: I have to admit that I never used ME, mostly because a former MS employee who repaired my computer at that time told me to do so. So I waited and went straight from 98SE to XP.

I tried ME for a couple of weeks, ran into a few BSODs n unresponsive programs till i got Windows 2000 and that one was a totally awesome OS.. amazing stability

My major problem was that it would take a drive down at least once every 2 months. Killing the registry requiring a reinstall.

It cost me time and money. Thanks Micro$oft

It was too unstable. If I remembered correctly, whenever it crashed on me, my wallpaper would be disabled when I rebooted the computer. I was simply happy when I was able to upgrade to XP the following year.

Wow, you all really had bad experiences with it. I used ME for years and didn't have this much trouble. I mean, it was no where near as stable as XP or Vista, but it wasn't much less stable than 98 SE (what I was upgrading from) for me. In fact, it was slightly faster, and included some minor new features in the UI here and there. System Restore blew so I turned it off, but oh well. It wasn't worth the money to upgrade if a person already had 98 SE, but it wasn't THAT bad.

Windows Me had new features that were welcoming like system restore but.

but horrid Memory leaks, Random Crashes, DLL issues, Buggy... oh and did i say Poor Memory management already :rolleyes:

I found it pointless. IMHO it was pure marketing.

98se was good enough for consumers - ME offered nothing MAJOR new.

But there was no new version, so ME seemed to be created. Sure it had a FEW upgrades under the hood, and a nice cosmetic facelift - but it didn't offer anything substantial to justify itself.