YouTube video causes Baltimore Officer to be Suspended

lol, i live close to Baltimore, looks like it was Inner Harbor, and signs are all over that place about skateboarding. the kid should have listened the first time, i know alot of teens that flat out ignore and get lippy with officers. if people followed the law, wouldn't be an issue, but alot of people think it doesn't apply to them

because he was comming from the car in the opening, its garenteed he told them earlier that day.

lol, i live close to Baltimore, looks like it was Inner Harbor, and signs are all over that place about skateboarding. the kid should have listened the first time, i know alot of teens that flat out ignore and get lippy with officers. if people followed the law, wouldn't be an issue, but alot of people think it doesn't apply to them

there might be signs, but grabbing a child and putting him on the ground when he is complying...

SK10~Skateboarding-Is-Not-A-Crime-Posters.jpg

he wasnt complying, why the officer had to say it multiple times.

and true skateboarding isnt a crime by itself. but skateboarding in designated NO SKATEBOARDING zones is, THATS WHY THE SIGNS ARE THERE

same as loitering

there might be signs, but grabbing a child and putting him on the ground when he is complying...

just found http://www.officer.com/web/online/Internal...es/5$40154

and it even says in there, that skateboarding is not permitted @ the inner harbor, so that contradicts your image

he wasnt complying, why the officer had to say it multiple times.

So that gives him the right to berate and put the kid in a headlock after being told to leave? A simple "can you guys do me a favor, don't skateboard on this property" would have done it. Stop wasting the department's time by baiting teenage boys into an argument.

He is a fascist pig. He prettu much threatened that kid with his life. If it had been me at that age he would have had his hands full. I would have sued his ass right out of that XXXL ****** suit he was wearing.

Nothing worse than a facist cop with an attitude problem.

fat facist gets owned!!!!!

CHECK OUT THIS LINK!!!!

That just put a big old smile on my face.

For once, I have absolutely no problem with what happens in this video.

The officer asked him if he could hear him, and the kid was tapping his skateboard on the floor (you could hear it), so the officer asked him for his skateboard. Kid refused so he took it off the kid. The kid getting thrown to the floor was his own fault. He refused to obey the law (yes, even 14 year olds have to obey the law), as technically everything that comes out of an officers mouth is backed by the power of the law. I'm just wondering if anyone counted the number of times that kid was told "don't call me dude", and yet he continued to do so.

That kid SHOULD have no backing from his mother, as he was in the wrong (skateboarding where there are signs not to)...but the way America is, I wouldn't be surprised if they try for some sort of compensation. Saw an article about one lawyer suing another for shaking their hand too hard...judges need to start dismissing these sorts of cases and then fining the plaintiff for wasting court time.

Anyway, back to the video...I just wish this would happen more often. Maybe it would sort out some of the problems society is experiencing.

The officer asked him if he could hear him, and the kid was tapping his skateboard on the floor (you could hear it), so the officer asked him for his skateboard. Kid refused so he took it off the kid. The kid getting thrown to the floor was his own fault. He refused to obey the law (yes, even 14 year olds have to obey the law), as technically everything that comes out of an officers mouth is backed by the power of the law. I'm just wondering if anyone counted the number of times that kid was told "don't call me dude", and yet he continued to do so.

That kid SHOULD have no backing from his mother, as he was in the wrong (skateboarding where there are signs not to)...but the way America is, I wouldn't be surprised if they try for some sort of compensation. Saw an article about one lawyer suing another for shaking their hand too hard...judges need to start dismissing these sorts of cases and then fining the plaintiff for wasting court time.

Anyway, back to the video...I just wish this would happen more often. Maybe it would sort out some of the problems society is experiencing.

Yeah, thats why he has been sent to a desk job and investigated..........lol!

lol, they would have ignored him. there are no skateboarding sign's infront of my store, i tell the kids left and right not to board here as they will run into people carrying computers in/out ( couple almost have already ). they keep doing it. cops have even told them not to board here,, they comeback when the cops leave.

they flat out dont care, i say good for the cop, next time the kids will more then likely actually listen for once

So that gives him the right to berate and put the kid in a headlock after being told to leave? A simple "can you guys do me a favor, don't skateboard on this property" would have done it. Stop wasting the department's time by baiting teenage boys into an argument.

I honestly cannot believe what some of you people are saying. There was no cause for him to use physical violence on that kid, he is a child. All that teaches him is that cops are bastards and should be direspected because they show no respect to anyone else. Respect is earned not handed out because you wear a badge. He gained no respect from those kids all he did was make them hate cops and have more reason to disobey the rules.

He did nothing to deserve to be put on the ground, I dont care if he had called him a pig or worse you still dont hit people when they annoy you or disrespect you, THATS whats wronf with this world. People like him are in it.

But he has been removed from causing further harm so screw him and anyone who thinks that is resonable behaviour.

All the people who go on about 'fascist' this and 'bully' that...if the kids had listened and obeyed the law (don't skateboard where you're not allowed) then this would never have happened.

Being threatened and intimidated is the only thing that works with kids these days. No-one respects the law or law enforcement, so why should they get respect back?

Same thing goes for people who break the law in violent ways (burglary, assault, murder, etc), they violate the human rights of their victims. They obviously don't respect other people's human rights, so why should people respect theirs?

If respect wanes, top it up with a bit of fear until people learn. Same should apply to politics...political parties don't respect or fear the public (and they should, after all...we're the only reason they have power in the first place). Elected goverments largely seem to have forgotten this fact, and it's probably the single biggest thing that annoys me about the world today.

Wandered off topic a bit....but the central theme was still there, sort of :p

APH-Alex....dude is disrepectful because he isn't a 'dude', he's an officer of the law.

Well then if we don't give them respect because they don't give us respect, then there's no more respect? It's got to start with someone, and the mature adult seems like a better place than a 14-year old.

I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent.

Mahatma Gandhi

Hate the sin, love the sinner.

Mahatma Gandhi

every officer i have been pulled over by and met, as been respectful and professional.

Well then if we don't give them respect because they don't give us respect, then there's no more respect? It's got to start with someone, and the mature adult seems like a better place than a 14-year old.

^That's good for you, I've never encountered an officer as the one seen in this video either, however, as we can see, other people have and I was commenting about these kind of officers. Also, the post was not directed at any of your comments specifically. :)

lol, they would have ignored him. there are no skateboarding sign's infront of my store, i tell the kids left and right not to board here as they will run into people carrying computers in/out ( couple almost have already ). they keep doing it. cops have even told them not to board here,, they comeback when the cops leave.

they flat out dont care, i say good for the cop, next time the kids will more then likely actually listen for once

OK so let me get this straight, you're saying that assault on a FOURTEEN YEAR OLD committed by an officer of the law is an acceptable offence but skateboarding in a no-skateboarding zone is punishable in comparision? Give me a break.

Regardless of what the kid was doing, the cop is a ****ing adult and should know better. Give me one good reason why this guy deserves any respect whatsoever? Just because he's a policeman doesn't automatically grant respect, respect must be earnt and why should it be when he's showing the kid none whatsoever. God knows how many cities in the world have skateboarders, mine was packed full of them in the high street & what did they do? They built a half-pipe behind one of the shopping centres, out of the way of the public & the high street cleared. Positive action = positive results

first the officer didn't ask for the skate board, he demanded the kid to hand it over. second he shoved the kid to the ground before the kid had a chance to sit down. putting a kid in a headlock and throwing him to the ground is unacceptable third, NOT even close on the "everything the officer says is backed by the power of law" thing. the kid called him dude because that's what he usually calls people. it's hard to change speaking habits when you're put in tense and stressful situations like that

the cops SERVER and PROTECT me and all the citizens, not threaten and intimidate 14 year old kids. why should they get respect back? because it's the officers job to be respectful, that's why.

and your whole "political" statement works against your argument. he is part of the government and he should fear the power of the parents and citizens (yes, kids are citizens) he deals with on a dialy basis.

as for the whole "dude" thing, you can call a cop "dude" all you ****in want. the term "disrespectful" is relative to both parties. the cop doesn't get to bring in his own morals and opinions into his job of enforcing the law. that's called being prejudice and isn't tolerated

for all you defending him, he's been put on payed leave and is being investigated for all the reasons people have pointed out.

i do NOT pay my taxes so the cops, that get there paycheck from me, can run around and barait 14 year old kids. cops need to be respectful at ALL times unless they are put in clear and present danger or in extreme circumstances.

how the cop should of acted? either a) warn / ask the kids to stop and be done with it. or b) give them a citation and be done with it. that's all. going on a power trip isn't an option

QFT

Edited by APH-Alex

Whilst he might of overreacted a little. I do believe the officer was more in the right than the kids. The thing is they know they did something wrong as well. They were well aware that they were not allowed to skate there. Two of them were sensible enough to be quiet and cop it.

first the officer didn't ask for the skate board, he demanded the kid to hand it over. second he shoved the kid to the ground before the kid had a chance to sit down. putting a kid in a headlock and throwing him to the ground is unacceptable third, NOT even close on the "everything the officer says is backed by the power of law" thing. the kid called him dude because that's what he usually calls people. it's hard to change speaking habits when you're put in tense and stressful situations like that

All the people who go on about 'fascist' this and 'bully' that...if the kids had listened and obeyed the law (don't skateboard where you're not allowed) then this would never have happened.

Being threatened and intimidated is the only thing that works with kids these days. No-one respects the law or law enforcement, so why should they get respect back?

Same thing goes for people who break the law in violent ways (burglary, assault, murder, etc), they violate the human rights of their victims. They obviously don't respect other people's human rights, so why should people respect theirs?

If respect wanes, top it up with a bit of fear until people learn. Same should apply to politics...political parties don't respect or fear the public (and they should, after all...we're the only reason they have power in the first place). Elected governments largely seem to have forgotten this fact, and it's probably the single biggest thing that annoys me about the world today.

Wandered off topic a bit....but the central theme was still there, sort of :p

APH-Alex....dude is disrespectful because he isn't a 'dude', he's an officer of the law.

the cops SERVER and PROTECT me and all the citizens, not threaten and intimidate 14 year old kids. why should they get respect back? because it's the officers job to be respectful, that's why.

and your whole "political" statement works against your argument. he is part of the government and he should fear the power of the parents and citizens (yes, kids are citizens) he deals with on a dialy basis.

as for the whole "dude" thing, you can call a cop "dude" all you ****in want. the term "disrespectful" is relative to both parties. the cop doesn't get to bring in his own morals and opinions into his job of enforcing the law. that's called being prejudice and isn't tolerated

for all you defending him, he's been put on payed leave and is being investigated for all the reasons people have pointed out.

i do NOT pay my taxes so the cops, that get there paycheck from me, can run around and barait 14 year old kids. cops need to be respectful at ALL times unless they are put in clear and present danger or in extreme circumstances.

how the cop should of acted? either a) warn / ask the kids to stop and be done with it. or b) give them a citation and be done with it. that's all. going on a power trip isn't an option