The Big Wrestling Thread!

Just about to dive into the smorgasbord of shows happening throughout WrestleMania weekend, starting with this...

I just realised as well that Matt Riddle's doing a minimum of 9 matches in 3 days, the crazy ######er. Three down already; first Minoru Suzuki at his Bloorsport show, then Zack Sabre Jr. at EVOLVE 102, then Deonna Purazzo at Beyond Wrestling's Lit Up. Today, he's got Jimmy Havoc at PROGRESS Chapter 66 - which is going on right now - then Daisuke Sekimoto at EVOLVE 103, then Will Ospreay at WWN's Mercury Rising supershow, and then to finish off night 2: James Ellsworth. Finally, a potentially more relaxed day 3 with just PROGRESS Chapter 67 - no idea what match he'll be in yet - and finally Dave Crist at Style Battle, plus maybe two more matches on top, since it's a one-night 8-man tournament. Madness.

We really are being spoiled this year.

5ac7b7e2b62ad_screenshot-www.reddit.com2018_04.0619-08-44.thumb.png.0144685530de9e67b66d9f3d1dd3314a.png

Oh yeah, this also happened last night...

Oh, and despite being at a press conference for Redemption earlier in the day, Alberto El Patron no-showed the Impact vs. LU show later that night (insert *pretends to be shocked* GIF here). So the tag team main event he was meant to be in became a triple threat match instead.

And here's the pre-show stream!

Good luck to everyone staying up for the whole thing; I'm still getting through 37 hours of Mania weekend shows, so I'm definitely not staying up for WreslteMania. :p I'm nearly there; currently watching the Hall of Fame ceremony, then just got two more indie shows left: Joey Janela's Spring Break 2 (worth watching just for the hilarious Cluster###### battle royal, if last year's is anything to go by), and Pancakes & Piledrivers. I've skipped a bunch of shows, too, so god knows how much longer I'd be catching up for if I were doing the entire lot!

Got a few honourable mentions:

• Matt Riddle's Bloodsport was a good homage to the movie of the same name.
  • The WrestleCon Supershow was great fun; definitely worth checking out.
  • Beyond Wrestling's all-intergender Lit Up show was good, too, despite being a midnight show with hardly anyone in attendance.
  • Impact Wrestling vs. Lucha Underground delivered in spades, despite the promise of Scott Steiner with a live mic not panning out (he ended up wrestling in a tag team match, instead, with Teddy Hart against oVe). The I Quit match between Jeremiah Crane/Sami Callihan and Eddie Edwards was ######## brutal, and the upgraded main event was top-notch; looking forward to seeing them top it at the Redemption PPV in a fortnight's time.
  • ROH Supercard of Honor was a great show, too, despite it running nearly five hours long and their Honor Club stream dying on its arse due to all the demand (not the best way to launch your service, especially when you're owned by one of the biggest TV companies in America).

So can I ask: What was the point of that

Undertaker / Cena

match?

Everyone talking about how Taker was looking amazing, how he wasn't the tired old man we had seen for the last few years and now he's a relevant player again?  Uh, was I watching the same match?  He looked the same as he has the last few years, he did his 5 or so moves and Cena laid down for him.  Big whoop.  Sure it gave Taker and Cena a "Wrestlemania Moment" but where does it lead?  A retirement tour for Taker?  That's absolutely fine, but the BS calling of the match has just sorta irked me...

38 minutes ago, NJL said:

So can I ask: What was the point of that

Hide contents

Undertaker / Cena

match?

Hide contents

Everyone talking about how Taker was looking amazing, how he wasn't the tired old man we had seen for the last few years and now he's a relevant player again?  Uh, was I watching the same match?  He looked the same as he has the last few years, he did his 5 or so moves and Cena laid down for him.  Big whoop.  Sure it gave Taker and Cena a "Wrestlemania Moment" but where does it lead?  A retirement tour for Taker?  That's absolutely fine, but the BS calling of the match has just sorta irked me...

God knows; there was a fair bit that didn't make much sense. What really irked me was

Spoiler

Nakamura turning heel. That's probably up there with Stone Cold at WM X-Seven in terms of questionable heel turns. We'll have to wait and see on SmackDown, but I'm fairly certain most fans will keep cheering him; he's just too damn charismatic for them to boo him!

Anyway, here's something more positive...

• Like 1

The biggest question for me is why oh why was asuka's streak ended? This was the nights most stupid question. Talk about a failure of storytelling. They would have had a bonafide star if she made Charlotte tap out.

Same with Nakamura. Both of them should have gone over. Furthermore, the match did not live up to the hype. It wasnt a well put together match and Nakamura did not seem to go all out or maybe his body wasn't well prepared.

Who would have thought that Rousey's first match would be a contender of the best match for the night.

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, philixus1988 said:

The biggest question for me is why oh why was asuka's streak ended? This was the nights most stupid question.

Yeah, that irked me as well when I saw it. Mellowed out a little bit after seeing someone point out it is New Orleans: where streaks go to die. I thought they were gonna save the streak for Ronda Rousey to end, but oh well. Like Goldberg's streak, it was a bit of a lie, anyway; there was a battle royal match on NXT she didn't win, plus she lost a couple of multi-person matches at NXT live shows, she just didn't take the pinfall in any of them.

Anyway, SWERVE! Looks like Lesnar's not buggering off to UFC again anytime soon...