Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots Discussion Thread

US

mgsus.jpg

Japan

425_mgs4coverart.jpg

Europe

mgseuro.jpg

I'll probably end up with the US one, just because im in the states when the game comes out, and buying it there will save me a bit of ?!

Although im trying to go after the LE, however preordering the LE 2 weeks before the games out probably won't be possible://

Also here's a wallpaper - http://www.dot-tek.co.uk/mgs4_1280x1024.jpg

PAIN to come with the new Metal Gear PS3 bundle

Upon further viewing of the new Metal Gear PS3 bundle, the list of contents shows another game. The list states that the system will not only come with Metal Gear Solid 4 but also a game voucher for PAIN. Check it out for yourself in the picture.

Source: http://n4g.com/ps3/News-133629.aspx

Oh well, don't buy pain if you're planning on trading your console for a MGS bundle! (No BC -> BC PS3 owners most likely)

Why can't the US boxart have the awesome artwork?

To make you buy LE :p

Auch it's not THAT bad. I do rate it last though im my preferences.

All I can really suggest is if you're that put off, import a European copy. Region free and obviously in english.

The Japanese copy WON'T have english though, so don't import it unless you plan on playing in another language ;)

^ I really hope so. I pre-ordered the SE on amazon.de yesterday but if Europe/Germany will get the LE, I'll get that as well and just cancel or re-sell the SE. :cool:

looky!

Not real. Pffft. What the hell do I know. Turns out that Bluetooth MGS4 headset is real, as over the weekend we learned that the product is not only already appearing in the catalogue of peripheral manufacturer PDP, but has also begun turning up in retail databases across Europe and the US. You can see above part of the entry in PDP's latest retailer catalogue (full-page version after the click), which not only confirms the headset's existence, but its feature set as well. For $60, you'll be getting up to 8 hours talk time, a 30ft range, an auto-shut-off function to save battery life and a snazzy little carry case. The headset will be released on June 12, same day as the game itself.

mgsheadset1.jpg

mgsheadset2.jpg

Source: http://kotaku.com/379264/oh-that-mgs4-headset-is-real

Man thats one sweet headset! Day 1 baby! :D

Oh, That MGS4 Headset Is Real

mgsheadset1.jpg

Not real. Pffft. What the hell do I know. Turns out that Bluetooth MGS4 headset is real, as over the weekend we learned that the product is not only already appearing in the catalogue of peripheral manufacturer PDP, but has also begun turning up in retail databases across Europe and the US. You can see above part of the entry in PDP's latest retailer catalogue (full-page version after the click), which not only confirms the headset's existence, but its feature set as well. For $60, you'll be getting up to 8 hours talk time, a 30ft range, an auto-shut-off function to save battery life and a snazzy little carry case. The headset will be released on June 12, same day as the game itself.

mgsheadset2.jpg

Source: http://kotaku.com/379264/oh-that-mgs4-headset-is-real

• 2 weeks later...

:o

What's this doing on page 3?!?! :p

Anyone picked this up yet?

DSC02150.jpg

If so, how good is the recap?

ps301.jpg

ps302.jpg

ps303.jpg

New bundles, from the Japanese site, but the game box looks like the American one :/

40GB version?! I thought it was gonna be an 80GB version... :(

If you read what I said it's from the Japanese site :p

They only have the 40GB like us in the UK. America IS getting an 80GB bundle.

Although I did also comment it's strange the game box is the American one - The pictures do say they are likely to change though.

Two new previews that will give you a bump in yer pants! :D Keep in mind these previews are all by people who have played the game from start to finish!

Metal Gear Solid 4, it is instantly apparent, is special. It's not like other games.
And on this occasion, in a heroic effort to draw a line for once and all under Snake's story and give the Metal Gear Solid series the grand finale it deserves, Hideo Kojima and his team really have outdone themselves. 'Extravagant' doesn't cover it. Nor do 'dramatic', 'spectacular', 'sentimental', 'surprising', 'long-winded', 'final', 'painstaking' or 'polished'. Guns of the Patriots is Metal Gear Solid in excelsis.
You have to subvert or repress many of your natural gaming instincts to safely negotiate its coldly exacting gameply, and you have to leave the pad untouched through hour after hour of exposition and sermonising in cut-scenes and codec conversations. The latter take up a quite staggering proportion of the game's length; think the infamous MGS2: Sons of Liberty, and you won't be far wrong.
However, that's not the whole story. These cinematic episodes take on a different character in MGS4. For starters, they're all - with the exception of some fried eggs - rendered in real time by the game engine, allowing for some extremely slick transitions as the camera slips down to Snake's shoulder and plunges you into the scene.

Only once you appreciate this do you understand what a great visual achievement the game is, because only in the cut-scenes do you get close enough to truly appreciate how flawless, gorgeous and magnetically charismatic the in-game character models are, how exquisitely animated and well-rooted in their world. Yes, some textures are surprisingly low-resolution; yes there are aliasing issues and flickering shadows. But overall, Guns of the Patriots is handsome, moody and achingly cool, a real swoon-inducing matinee idol of a game. There's some terrific music, too.

The mission briefing is a kind of interactive entertainment that only Hideo Kojima could have come up with. It's pointless and overlong but also a strangely spellbinding kind of downtime for player and writers alike, giving the game's characters time to breathe with some gentle comic interplay and moments of tenderness, and bridging the gap between cut-scene and game. You might end up frustrated with the amount of time you spend just watching Metal Gear Solid 4, but its cinematic side is so deeply embedded in the game this time that it makes for a much more coherent whole.

Read the rest: http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=135362

You might remember that, back in February, IGN's Jeff Haynes was one of a handful of journalists to infiltrate Konami's Japanese HQ, bringing back a first-hand account of what will surely be one of the most important games on the PlayStation 3 when it is released next month. Now IGN has followed up with another black ops mission into the heart of Paris where, along with around 70 other journalists from across Europe, we got to play on an even more polished ? and even more complete ? version of Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots, discovering more information about the game with which to whet your appetite.
The biggest difference, however, is the battlefield context. This is an environment that's alive. It's buzzing with action, and you'll find yourself constantly surrounded by bursts of gunfire, or obscured by clouds of dust thrown up by rockets or grenades. Imagine Call of Duty 4, or Ghost Recon, but instead of going in guns blazing, spearheading the combat and taking charge of battle, your job is to avoid the hotspots, stay clear of confrontation, and sneak around behind the scenes ? perhaps casually helping out now and then in order to play off one side in the conflict against the other. All the while avoiding detection.
That risk of spoiling things is a very real one. In fact, Konami's high-profile security has only allowed us to barely scratch the surface of what we saw in Paris. Rest assured that there is more ? much, much more ? to come. "What I concentrated on the most while creating Metal Gear Solid 4 is that it's the grand finale of the series, and I really took care to end the story in a good way," said Hideo Kojima on the last day of our Parisian operation. And indeed he has. The story is, on one level, simple enough. As Kojima puts it: "The story is quite simple: you have Liquid and Snake goes after him all across the world." But over the course of the game you'll find that it ties up every last loose end, and brings the entire series together to a brilliantly satisfying conclusion.
And that's why Konami is insisting on a tight-lipped approach in advance of the game's launch. After playing the game from start to finish, it's easy to see why. Guns of the Patriots is simply a game that you have to experience for yourself. It's a journey that's more important than its destination, even if that destination happens to be the definitive, ultimate, Metal Gear game. So if you really want to know what it feels like to play Metal Gear Solid 4, make sure to order a copy. And make sure, too, to give yourself a week free from any distractions, so you can sit down and play all of the other Metal Gear games in sequence, because that is the perfect preparation for playing what is, without any doubt, Hideo Kojima's finest hour.

Read the rest: http://ps3.ign.com/articles/871/871184p1.html

First Metal Gear Solid 4 Review coming next Friday

Official Playstation Magazine's Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots review is going to be published on May 16th, next Friday.

Source: http://n4g.com/ps3/News-142143.aspx

Seeing as it's an official magazine and it's the first exclusive review, a 10 a safe bet? :laugh:

gah i wish i had a ps3 just to play this game. i have yet to miss owning MGS until this year, while i am broke and cant afford a ps3

Preordered the game tonight for ?33>:woot:: Getting pretty excited now, time for my PS3 to get some serious use:DD

Damn, where did you find that cheap price at?

I need to start scouting around and pre-ordering mine soon!:DD