• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

F1 World Championship 2008 Thread

.KICK    3

Yes, it was a slight chaos but no penalties will happen I would say.

Mike    89
Yes, it was a slight chaos but no penalties will happen I would say.

i wouldn't be so sure, a mclaren causing an incident with a ferrari = not liked by the stewards

they're saying lewis may have had a more momentum from using the escape road but if he slowed to let kimi past, he couldnt have had more momentum and the overtaking at turn 1 was due to outbreaking kimi.

.KICK    3
i wouldn't be so sure, a mclaren causing an incident with a ferrari = not liked by the stewards

they're saying lewis may have had a more momentum from using the escape road but if he slowed to let kimi past, he couldnt have had more momentum and the overtaking at turn 1 was due to outbreaking kimi.

Yes but as you can see, Lewis didn't gain advantage from cutting the corner, he let Kimi pass him. There should not be a punishment as Kimi was given the position before they crossed the line!

brentaal    404
Yes but as you can see, Lewis didn't gain advantage from cutting the corner, he let Kimi pass him. There should not be a punishment as Kimi was given the position before they crossed the line!

He "let him pass"? Did you even see the replay of that situation? Kimi barely made it in front of Lewis. It certainly didn't look like Lewis was letting him pass. Even if he did, it was overall an advantage compared to where he was before the chicane. He attacked once Kimi was only a yard or two in front of him.

If I'm not mistaken, Kovalainen got a penalty of one drive through pit stop for a similar situation.

It's sad to see the same guys who were against Massa's action two weeks ago now avoiding the very same rules they were promoting. Consistent much?

Mike    89
He "let him pass"? Did you even see the replay of that situation? Kimi barely made it in front of Lewis. It certainly didn't look like Lewis was letting him pass. Even if he did, it was overall an advantage compared to where he was before the chicane. He attacked once Kimi was only a yard or two in front of him.

erm before the turn for the chicance lewis was ahead by about a wheel, when they crossed the finish line, lewis was fully behind kimi taking his slip stream... so no advantage

you only need to concede the place, for kovy he didnt give the place back, as for the massa thing, what are you on about?

brentaal    404
erm before the turn for the chicance lewis was ahead by about a wheel, when they crossed the finish line, lewis was fully behind kimi taking his slip stream... so no advantage

I'm on about Hamilton taking a short cut. People claim Hamilton "let Kimi pass" because of it, which he didn't do. If you disagree, take a closer look.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1KjONZw31DE

as for the massa thing, what are you on about?

Well, the same people who're now saying how Hamilton didn't gain any advantage were the ones asking for a more harsh penalty in Massa's case (the "almost crash" in the pit stops, Valencia).

Mike    89
I'm on about Hamilton taking a short cut. People claim Hamilton "let Kimi pass" because of it, which he didn't do. If you disagree, take a closer look.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1KjONZw31DE

yes, now you take a look at it, lewis was right behind kimi all before the chicane, then up to the chicane he went past him, kimi forced him wide so lewis had to skip the chicane. then he was ahead of kimi, lewis slowed, kimi went past, lewis was then fully behind him and out breaked kimi down the inside

Well, the same people who're now saying how Hamilton didn't gain any advantage were the ones asking for a more harsh penalty in Massa's case (the "almost crash" in the pit stops, Valencia).

there is a difference between taking action to ensure you don't crash into another car and releasing a car directly into the path of another car. the alternatives to the 2 events:

todays: lewis continues attempting to take the corner, bounces over the kerb into the side of kimi, neither finish the race, potential repurcussions with other cars hitting them

massa's: delay the pit stop, massa follows sutil out the pits, sutil is blue flagged and massa gets a clean overtake - nothing happens to effect the race

.KICK    3

If I'm not mistaken, Kovalainen got a penalty of one drive through pit stop for a similar situation.

It's sad to see the same guys who were against Massa's action two weeks ago now avoiding the very same rules they were promoting. Consistent much?

Difference here is that Kovalainen actually crashed into Webber rather than go off the track to avoid it which resulted in a penalty because it could had been avoided.

Lewis pretty much had nowhere else to go except hit the grass bit of the corner! Also, he clearly didn't take advantage because if he did then a lot more people would be complaining. Simple fact is that Kimi was position number 1 when he crossed the line which means this complaint is voided.

As for Massa with that incident in the pit stop (which I assume you are talking about), he didn't look obviously clearly as the car was already passed him slightly when he pulled out so he should had slowed down and gone behind! But thats another different story.

Mike    89

i think the kovaleinen one was in france but thats a different issue becaue he didn't give the place back to vettel, mclaren's argument that day was the move was complete before kovaleinen skipped a chicane, today hamilton gave the place back so its a different issue altogether (not to mention hamilton was ahead before the chicane)

edit: but yea lets talk consistency, alonso and rosberg at monaco had numerous suicidal overtaking attempts and hit other people causing them to spin, did they get any penalties....erm no!

CrashG    439

Damn that was an exciting last few laps. Kimi just threw it away, it's always better to finish in second than not to finish at all. Good drive for Heidfeld to get third.

On to Monza!

Lewism    43
Hamilton stripped of Belgium GP victory

Sunday 7th September 2008

In a hugely controversial decision, Lewis Hamilton has been stripped of his victory in the Belgium GP.

After reviewing footage of his duel with Kimi Raikkonen for over two hours, race stewards have added twenty-five seconds to Hamilton's race time.

As a result, he is demoted to third from first.

More to follow...

Source: http://www.planetf1.com/story/0,18954,3213_4113949,00.html

GREAT JOB!!!! :rolleyes:

.KICK    3

WTF that was so uncalled for! He did let Kimi pass, he didnt continue to be ahead of him. Surely they can appeal, seems a pretty quick decision tbh!

Also, Kimi did not even finish so it's not really an advantage if they say it was :s

Mike    89

and there goes my interest in the ferrari run F1

Batfink    36

Simply a disgraceful decision!

It cannot even be logically justified, Kimi Raikkonen crashed out in any event, a wholly unjustified decision to fix the Championship in favour of Masa... who was conspicuously not punished for an unsafe pit lane release!

Batfink

bmdixon    6

:angry:

I can't believe they've penalised him!?! Would they have done it if it had been the other way round? I think not! There is definitely a vendetta against Mclaren and Hamilton.

They have got to appeal, he did everything he could. Charlie Whiting even agrees that they did everything to comply with the regulations!

Glassed Silver    940

That penality is not just. period.

That decision was made by people who earn money by keeping the championship exciting, if you know what I mean.

I call BS on that!

Glassed Silver:mac

Fourjays    106

This thread should be moved to Jokes & Funny Stuff now. Anything but Sporting Arena...

I don't know if I'll even bother watching the rest of the season, they've already decided Massa is going to win it. Even if Lewis was to win the next 3 races from pole with a 40 second lead they'd find something to penalise him for.. Having 4 wheels and an engine maybe?

Funny how what is usually a 5 or 10 second penalty is 25 in this case too.

LJ50    2

Outrageous decision IMO. Spoiled what was a fantastically exciting, dramatic and skilful end to an entertaining Grand Prix. Whoever had one that race (and it was always going to be the case that one of Raikkonen or Hamilton crashed out cause neither one was going to give in to the other) it would still have been a worthy end to a great race.

This decision is unworthy of the race however.

brentaal    404
Funny how what is usually a 5 or 10 second penalty is 25 in this case too.

Funny how you're wrong.

If he incurs a penalty within the last five laps of the race, he need not pit at all; instead, twenty-five seconds will be added to his total race time.

If Kovalainen got a drive through for the same thing, then this is a fair decision.

Mike    89
Funny how you're wrong.

If Kovalainen got a drive through for the same thing, then this is a fair decision.

when did kovaleinen get a drive through for the same thing that lewis did?

FlibbyFlobby    0

What a pathetic decision. It's sad that F1 has come to the point where you know any decision involving a Ferrari will go there way. The FIA seem determined to drive F1 into the ground, and with stupid decisions like this it won't be long now.

brentaal    404
when did kovaleinen get a drive through for the same thing that lewis did?

During the race, around 20th lap or so. He had a collision with Webber in that same chicane, and overtook him.

Mike    89
During the race, around 20th lap or so. He had a collision with Webber in that same chicane, and overtook him.

the penalty was for hitting webber and causing him to spin, not for him driving around an incident using the escape road. hamilton didn't cause kimi to spin or hit him