• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

F1 World Championship 2008 Thread

Shibby    1

I'm not suprised by the swap, I just know nothing will be done about it.

+Frank B.    7,151
I'm not suprised by the swap, I just know nothing will be done about it.

I'm not surprised by the swap either. What surprised me was the complete lack of protests after the race. One would have expected McLaren or Renault to protest.

ahmz    28

What's wrong with you people? The swap is completely normal in these circumstances. The drivers are allowed to help each other by doing a "swap", it's completely within the rules. And you can be sure that if Hamilton is 6th and Kovaleinen is ahead of him, he'll drop back and let Hamilton pass so that he can win the championship (unless he hates him, like Alonso), it's completely up to the drivers as to what they choose to do.

+Frank B.    7,151
What's wrong with you people? The swap is completely normal in these circumstances. The drivers are allowed to help each other by doing a "swap", it's completely within the rules. And you can be sure that if Hamilton is 6th and Kovaleinen is ahead of him, he'll drop back and let Hamilton pass so that he can win the championship (unless he hates him, like Alonso), it's completely up to the drivers as to what they choose to do.

The problem is that team orders violate FIA rules which were added after the blatant swap between Rubens Barichello and Michael Schumacher at the 2002 Austrian GP. So - if the stewards were to follow the rules Ferrari should have been punished for the swap last Sunday.

Sure such a swap is normal considered the circumstances, and outlawing it was not the smartest idea the FIA ever had.

By the way: Do you think any other team besides Ferrari would have got away with it as well?

ahmz    28
The problem is that team orders violate FIA rules which were added after the blatant swap between Rubens Barichello and Michael Schumacher at the 2002 Austrian GP. So - if the stewards were to follow the rules Ferrari should have been punished for the swap last Sunday.

Sure such a swap is normal considered the circumstances, and outlawing it was not the smartest idea the FIA ever had.

Team orders violate the rules but not driver decisions, there's a difference. A driver can willingly give up a place without the team telling him to, there is absolutely nothing wrong with that. And under the circumstance it is quite clear that any team mate in this position would give up his position so that his fellow driver can have a better chance at winning the championship.

By the way: Do you think any other team besides Ferrari would have got away with it as well?

There is nothing to "get away with" so yes any other driver can do the same thing.

brentaal    404

I know McLaren did, earlier this season.

And under the circumstance it is quite clear that any team mate in this position would give up his position so that his fellow driver can have a better chance at winning the championship.

I've actually seen an interview with Kimi in which he says "I don't care who wins the WDC".

Mike    89

I dont see a problem with it, everyone knew it was going to happen. There are no rules saying drivers must drive as fast as possible at all times. Couple years ago alonso was behind fisichella (when they were both at renault) and alonso was going faster and catching him up, got stuck behind him so fisichella let him past. F1 is a team sport really, they always go on about kimi/heikki having to take points off lewis/felipe so stop them winning.

Fourjays    106

The rules forbid "team orders", however as with everything in the rules, it is likely written poorly as all it disallows is a blatant "Raikkonen, let Massa pass you" over the radio. They pre-arrange certain phrases to indicate that if the driver likes their contract, it would be wise to do it "of their own accord".

I remember Alonso being behind Fisi a few years back. Pat Symonds said something like "Alonso is faster than you" to Fisi, and he pulled straight out of the way.

Fergie    0

Slightly OT, do you guys still have the chat in irc when the race is on? I remember I was there for Australia and it was fun.

sn00pie    2
The rules forbid "team orders", however as with everything in the rules, it is likely written poorly as all it disallows is a blatant "Raikkonen, let Massa pass you" over the radio. They pre-arrange certain phrases to indicate that if the driver likes their contract, it would be wise to do it "of their own accord".

I remember Alonso being behind Fisi a few years back. Pat Symonds said something like "Alonso is faster than you" to Fisi, and he pulled straight out of the way.

+1 Yeap :yes:

Anyone else extremely hyped for this weekend?

LewisBraid    0
...Anyone else extremely hyped for this weekend?

hyped and scared my friend!! Hamilton supporter. Will be an amazing weekend i really hope!!

+Frank B.    7,151
Slightly OT, do you guys still have the chat in irc when the race is on? I remember I was there for Australia and it was fun.

Of course we do.

Shibby    1

Hell yeah, we'll still pretty much active when the F1 is on.

It's a bit slow when it's practice, but come qually and the race we're insulting each other(mostly hating on Mephistopheles and his ferrari loving attuide :p )

ahmz    28
qual08brasilkk0.png

Fourjays    106

No way is Massa's fuel load "normal". If it is then he must have a nitrous button or something because I don't see how he can be that much quicker with a "normal" load. Either that or everyone else is playing it very safe because of possible rain.

Looking at the differences between Q2 and Q3, the common difference is around 1.2 seconds and therefore what I'd consider a "normal" load. Kovalainen, Vettel, Heidfeld, Bourdais and Glock are all within that category. Hamilton, Alonso and Raikkonen are 0.9 - 1 second, so slightly lighter. We know Trulli is light and Trulli is a 0.6 difference, and Massa is a 0.5 difference.

sundayx    127

Home track advantage? Please don't win the championship.

sn00pie    2

Tomorrows race is going to be very interesting! It seems like Massa is indeed light on fuel, and if it begins to rain I have a feeling it could become difficult for Hamilton judging by the amount of wing he has setup... the car was already twitchy as it is during qualifying.

Anyways, I'm rooting for Hamilton and will be getting up early to watch this race. :)

Fergie    0
brazilweather2ap0.jpg

dj6ross    1

Rain would make the race even more interesting!

ahmz    28

I can't wait for this season finale :yes:

.KICK    3

Nearly time, can't wait :D

Antaris    83

They reckon no more rain. Hopefully Vettel can push past Massa. Come on Hammilton! Just don't do anything stupid!

LewisBraid    0

I'm so nervous its mental! Love hamiltons safe side now, really working for him at the moment. That overtake earlier was scary for sure!

sundayx    127

Is it happening?

Antaris    83

Could rain in 10 minutes!

They'll make up their mind soon. Hopefully Vettel doesn't try something silly here, he can't really gain anything from finishing ahead of Hammilton