Hopefully buying a 1988 Supra today.

The best part will be turning the rust into something that will turn heads. That and proving everybody wrong who thinks it was a waste. There's no better feeling than saying "I told you so" back at them.

Never pay an arm and leg for an old car, period. A guy in my area is trying to sell a 1970 chevy pickup for five thousand. I basically told him good luck and walked away.

Yep currently a heap. However part of the attraction to a lot of car enthusiasts is the journey. It can be very rewarding to take an older neglected car and restore it to what it once was and save an example of a different era from the scrape heap. Anyone with enough money can own a new corvette, but finding and restoring yourself an old stingray is more of a selective club and rewarding. To the OP congratulations on a nice find and try not to bloody your knuckles too much. By the way is your tetanus shot up to date? Good luck with the work.

I know exactly what you're saying, but you do bring up the point I failed to convey by saying it's overpriced: this is not a Corvette or a classic muscle car of a bygone era; it's a 1988 Toyota Supra. Around here the things have value as winter beaters and not much more.

Never pay an arm and leg for an old car, period. A guy in my area is trying to sell a 1970 chevy pickup for five thousand. I basically told him good luck and walked away.

Depending on the condition of the truck that might be a steal. Early 70's Chevy pickups are as high as $15k on E-bay.

Back to the OP, more power to you. If you have the time and money and like the car, enjoy yourself and make it yours.

I know exactly what you're saying, but you do bring up the point I failed to convey by saying it's overpriced: this is not a Corvette or a classic muscle car of a bygone era; it's a 1988 Toyota Supra. Around here the things have value as winter beaters and not much more.

Yeah a Supra isn't exactly the best example from that era, but that era wasn't exactly a high point in auto history. A Supra wouldn't have been my choice, but to each his own and I did dump too much money into restoring a 88 Rx-7 so I have little room to talk (and I'd probably do it again too). Also the era when you grew up plays a part in the cars you consider "classic" and other emotional attachments. I consider a mint green 73 Maverick a fine example of a car due to my personally history.No one else on the planet does, but I'd restore one in a minute.The Supra does represent a certain high point in Japanese import sports cars especially now that Toyota has abandoned it's sports car lines. (Celica, Supra, MR are all gone). I think it could be a fun project with a nice reward at the end.

Edited by rathefeare

:blink: :|

With this new batch of pictures, I can't say if you really made such a good deal. Your Supra needs work all around, and it's clear that the body is having rust problem (seeing from under your car).

Lots and lots of work... I hope you enjoy it. I would not invest money or time in a car of this condition.

I'd be hard pressed to NOT pay 2500 for a Turbo Supra... particularly if the engine / ECU are usable- they're worth that for salvage as a front-clip.

The 22R/22RE they used in the early Supras (which were based on the Celica) did nothing to help the car out. It was only when they went to the turbo'd inline-6 did that car ever live up to its 'Supra' name. When that engine came out, it was an all out what could Ford and GM could do with their T-Bird/Mustangs and F-Body's (Ford, GM respectively) race.

Regardless of body work, I assume that you've bought the car because that was 'the' car you wanted. It may never be the fastest or quickest, but you bought it because you 'want' it. It may be 20+ years old, but when you're done, it will be the perfect car for you. And, maybe the perfect car for someone else. And they'll pay for it too.

Too bad I didn't get there first- I'd like that in my 4Runner.

I'm probably buying rotors and pads tomorrow and throw them on. That way I know I can stop. And I love the 7M-GTE that is in it.

So my list of parts I really need is getting smaller:

Pads

Rotors

Exhaust

Wow, not too bad. Going from clunker to running in about 4 days isn't bad. I'm still waiting on like 6 or 7 parts to come in so it can start to look decent.

I'm probably buying rotors and pads tomorrow and throw them on. That way I know I can stop. And I love the 7M-GTE that is in it.

So my list of parts I need is getting smaller:

Pads

Rotors

Exhaust

Wow, not too bad. Going from clunker to running in about 4 days isn't bad. I'm still waiting on like 6 or 7 parts to come in so it can start to look decent.

Obviously- cross-drilled rotors, 4 piston, full floating calipers... I think Brembo has 6 piston floating calipers... ... ...

... adjustible proportioning valve for the rear, right?

Know anyone that wants an 89 Celica GT Convertible? Thought I'd ask.

I'll probably go with something cheap and simple for now, just to get me by. I can't wait to get the new hatch so I don't have a opaque rear window. I got lucky and found one of the same color, all it was missing was some trim around the window and the spoiler, and I have both.

Very nice pictures (Y) . I can understand your motivation for buying a car like that and I hope you enjoy turning something that is considered beyond it's sell by date and turn it into a working piece of fine art.

Scirwode

Good job turning the car around for the better!

As others have said though, it might be wise to bid a little lower next time.

My friend bought an '88 Supra Turbo for around 3 grand in our overpriced Western Canada market. But the car ran perfectly, and the exterior was almost flawless other than a few paint chips.

The only niggling detail was the leather seats. They were worn and cracked.

The car is coming along nicely and I am looking forward to more information and pictures as you go along. Don't get discourage by the others. There are many other people with project cars out there who started out just like you. Here are two examples:

1987 Mazda Turbo II

http://idforums.net/index.php?showtopic=33745

and

1990 240SX

http://idforums.net/index.php?showtopic=29764

I am very interested in following other people's project cars. It's an interesting read with pictures that passes the time.

Hope these encourage and motivate you to turn your Supra into something special :D Keep us updated!

Edited by M1h4iL

The car is coming along nicely and I am looking forward to more information and pictures as you go along. Don't get discourage by the others. There are many other people with project cars out there who started out just like you. Here are two examples:

1987 Mazda Turbo II

http://idforums.net/index.php?showtopic=33745

and

1990 240SX

http://idforums.net/index.php?showtopic=29764

I am very interested in following other people's project cars. It's an interesting read with pictures that passes the time.

Hope these encourage and motivate you to turn your Supra into something special :D Keep us updated!

Yeah, and look at how much they paid for the car vs how much he paid. It being a project car is not the problem. Him over paying is everyones point. The guy bought his 1 year older supra for $300 more. Not too bright but hey, lets compare.

By looks standards, the $300 more looks considerable better. It also needed less work to get going, in fact all the "work" he did on it was trivial to it running.

Regardless, if he has the money and he is happy with it, who cares? People overpay everyday. And jerk offs like us like to point it out to make ourselves feel better.

There would be more pictures, but I haven't put any fresh batteries in the camera for a long time. And it is nice to finally have a glass back window.