Hopefully buying a 1988 Supra today.

Anybody who talks **** about Supras are crazy, I was in a long line of ferraris and Porsches going to this thing called Supercar Sunday in Calabasas with a friend of mine, we were doing a cool 120 only to be passed and have a shockwave hit us by some 1990 Supra with a **** load of boost from one of the largest super chargers I've ever seen. Goodluck man, maybe someday you'll be able to keep up with that dude that passed us on the freeway :p

Keep us posted on the pictures, I want to see what that thing looks like with some fresh paint on it.

Also, idk if I didnt read enough, but did you end up buying a seperate new engine for the car?

Please restore that interior too. Nothing like looking at a nice car and then the guy opens the door and the interior is beat to hell or looks like a McDonald's trash can.

You're willingly paying for this?

Yeah?

I plan on replacing the interior at some point, I just need to get exhaust on it now. I did a brake system flush after work and the pedal is rock hard where is should be. :)

I could have spent $2500 on a 90s civic that has been beaten to death, but I decided on a 1987 Supra with a rebuilt motor. I still have a daily driver, a 1996 Ford Taurus, so I am not relying on this as my sole form of transportation (yet).

Looking good. When does the rest of the black trim go on? I think just having that on would distract greatly from some of the body imperfections.

Looks pretty cool. But it also looks like it will take a lot of money to fix everything up (as do all older cars).

Good luck to your bank account. :)

Is the going to be a complete overhaul or are you just going to fix some of the major things?

1 step at a time, itle look brand new eventualy :-)

I love these old supra`s I do the opposite though, ile but a beat up old 3.0 turbo (they are all auto unfortunatly) that works fine for like ?400 - ?600, then drive it like i stole it until it blows up, they normaly take a lot of stick and a lot of abuse, then sell it to a breaker or weight it in.

They are fun fast cars.

Keep posting progress Biohazard with plenty of pics :-)

Good one biohazard looks like the fun is just starting on this project.

When you do the interior are you planning a similar purple velour style? Personally I think some of these look really good with a some of the interior restored to an "original" semi-tacky, deliberately dated/out of fashion looking, tribute style.

Also to anyone who says this wasn't a good buy. A good engine and plenty of rust beats nice looking with knackered engine. At least his engine can push all the rust around until he wants to fix it. Other way you just have a good looking paperweight until you get the engine rebuilt and running.

Knock sensor came in today, WOOOOOOOO.

Now I can have it on full throttle and it'll boost. :) (I couldn't give it full throttle before)

• 2 weeks later...

looking very nice!

I'm a big fan of '80 cars.

The biggest fun in your stuff is the pride you will have yourself by getting a junk car to a rebuilt masterpiece.

I hope you will get a good car, maybe not like the rebuilt Supra in F'nF though :rofl:

There hasn't been a big update lately. I have been checking regularly because I am really interested in the progress. Please post anything you have done up till now if you already haven't!

I'm a self-professed car snob and generally thumb my nose at "ricers" and such. As far as paying $2500..well..no comment. At the same time, I generally lease fancy cars for a few years and pay for someone else to take care of them for me. I only drive them. As such, I'm not nearly as "close" to my cars as I probably could be.

I envy your technical abilities. There's always an innate sense of pride and gratification when you "did it yourself". No amount of money in the world can buy that. I think your project is great and I look forward to seeing how it eventually turns out!

-Berz

Looked through everything and the progress looks good. I'm currently thinking of a restoration project myself (1972 'Cuda 340). So I commend you on your efforts. One of the things I ask from one gearhead to the other is to keep a high-gloss paint job on the car. Usually when it comes time to resell a car the closer you get to factory paintjobs the higher resale value the car will have.

It's great to see you put such care and time into your car. Keep up the great work! It'll be worth it in the end am sure you know that already :).