Physicist Says Time Travel Is Possible, and Likely

Time travel? Teleportation? No problem, says renowned physicist Michio Kaku.

Kaku, a professor at the City University of New York, is creating quite a stir in Britain with the release of his new book, "The Physics of the Impossible."

On this side of the pond, outlandish claims in books are recognized as, well, a good way to sell books.

But in Blighty, Kaku's being treated as if he's Doctor Who informing dim-witted humans about the wonders of the Universe, with front-page treatment Wednesday in both the Daily Telegraph and the Guardian. Even the normally staid Economist is chiming in.

Kaku, one of the earliest proponents of string theory, still a contentious issue among physicists, divides the most common science-fiction tropes, or "impossibilities," into three categories ? possible soon, possible in the far future and really, truly impossible.

Category 1, as he dubs it, includes things that may become true within the next century, if not the next few decades: teleportation (already possible, but only among subatomic particles); telepathy (thanks to brain implants); invisibility (already being researched using light-bending 'metamaterials'); laser guns (existing, but hugely power-hungry); force fields; and the discovery of extraterrestrial life.

Category 2 includes things that are theoretically possible but would be realized only with thousands more years of technological progress: time travel (possibly through "wormholes" in space); traveling faster than light; and the discovery of parallel universes.

post-37120-1207222965.jpg

Category 3 consists of things that really are impossible because they violate the laws of physics. Only two concepts qualify: knowing the future and perpetual motion.

"The Physics of the Impossible," released March 11 in the U.S., is currently No. 123 on the Amazon bestseller lists. It comes out Thursday in Britain, though without the "Doctor Who"-themed cover of the U.S. version.

source

It's probably possible. Nothing is impossible. If you can't do time travel today, then wait for tomorrow. All good things come to those who wait.

It's probably possible. Nothing is impossible. If you can't do time travel today, then wait for tomorrow. All good things come to those who wait.

One of my pet hates 'Nothing is impossible' I can think lots things. Ummm digging bear handed through center of earth with no protection in current state of earths core, for one.

time travel (possibly through "wormholes" in space); traveling faster than light; and the discovery of parallel universes.

So in reality thousands years if we still exist, then theoretically it might be possible, turns into headline 'likely'.

Edited by stevember

well you cant really know if something really travels faster than the speed of light, can you?

relativity theory only tells you that you would need a LOT of energy to make something with mass travel faster then light....but the universe is full of strange things and you can never know what will happen ;)

Law of Conservation of Matter

Law of Conservation of Energy

Traveling Faster than the Speed of Light

it isn't impossible that such laws will change

Ehh, It's not like we'll suddenly realise the math was wrong one day, It might not be entirely accurate (it probably is though), but it's not wrong.

"Guys, I worked out that 1/2 = 3, This changes everything!"

I remember reading in New Scientist recently (I think it was the Jan/Feb issue that if time travel was possible, the furthest we can go back would be to 2008, as it would apparently be year Zero.

Computer Science NP problems. Impossible.

Time travel is possible, its happening right now. Just forward and at a steady pace, but we're travelling!

LOL, never thought of it that way :p

Pure bull****. I calculated just last week that sending information into the past is impossible, what to speak of matter. Of course, thosands of physicists have shown that, and Kaku's nonsense is just a stupid idea. He has not presented any actually workable theory.

Obviously, time travel in to the future is not only possible (at many different speeds) it is also inevitable.

If I time travel in my dreams, does that count?

Yes. I have many times. ;)

You can also do this consciously during an OOBE.

Ehh, It's not like we'll suddenly realise the math was wrong one day, It might not be entirely accurate (it probably is though), but it's not wrong.

"Guys, I worked out that 1/2 = 3, This changes everything!"

i mean there's nothing to say the universe will start behaving in a different way.

logical impossibilities like 1/2 = 3 are always impossible. the weight of an electron changing isn't logically impossible.

uhh...what are you smoking? theories are more accurate than laws.

maybe more accurate than legal laws, but we're talking science.

i would really like to see you refute the ideal gas law in a vacuum.