Physicist Says Time Travel Is Possible, and Likely

To travel at the speed of light I wish I could live long enough to see all this come true. It makes me sad to think what all I will miss out on.

I suppose your right, but you have to understand, at one point at least visually, the light in your craft, would stop, and go backwards.

If you go fast enough, hypothetically, to make time stop, there has to be a moment when it'll go backwards. You can't make it go forwards any longer, if it's stopped.

There's no reaction to cause it to go forward any longer, so it's got to have an oposite reaction at some point in time according to Newton's third law. IF it doesn't go backwards at any certain time, that pretty much destroys 321 years of science that we've considered "law".

The speed of light is the same, relative to all observers, if an observer is in severely warped space, the speed of light for him is still normal (and it's normal for somebody else observing it)

Basically, light doesn't slow down, stop or go in reverse.

well i know religion and science are different, but if you do believe in god (which i do) i find it hard to believe that time travel could exist cause look at it this way... say today i died in a car accident and my soul went to heaven.... and then say someone has a time machine and wants to 'bring me back' so they go back into the past to prevent me from ever getting into that car and getting into a accident then i 'live again' but once im in heaven, im in heaven. my soul aint just going to 'come back' into my human body again.

i know it's all to confusing ;) lol ... but i just dont think time travel is possible overall. im sure the future holds alot of great things that we will never see but i just dont think time travel is one of them although it's a cool subject to think/talk about at times ;)

Why is time travel impossible?

Because if it were possible, someone in the future would have used it by now to come back to a recorded point in our history that we would know about.

"But in the future they would have rules about using time travel to alter the past." Says the hopeful.

Unless everyone in the future is also the epitome of a law abiding perfect human, then I'm sure someone in the vast infinity of the future would have abused it to come back to a recorded point in our history that we would know about.

So it stands to reasons that if time travel exists and there hasn't even been one traveler from the infinite future, we should either conclude that time travel isn't possible or that all forms of sentient life are irradicated before it is invented.

Also, plenty is impossible. Nothing is impossible only to Joe/Jane Douche sitting behind his/her mac at Starbucks.

In conclusion, Bush is not the worst president according to time travelers, global warming is a non issue, and we humans are insignificant.

/end

Time travel is definitly possible the physists just need the mathematicans to do the math. They should be worried about bigger problems though. Like death or cancer for example first before time travel.

Time travel is definitly possible the physists just need the mathematicans to do the math. They should be worried about bigger problems though. Like death or cancer for example first before time travel.

If Physists didn't need to know how to do math to do physics than my degree would have been the easiest thing I would ever tried to attain.

Time Travel is alllready possible. Try out this simple experiment and see for yourselves.

Person 1; get in a car, and drive from point A to point B.

Person 2; walk from point A to point B.

Garenteed that person 1 will arrive at point B faster then the person walking. This is a example of travelling though time.

Have a nice day. :D

I didn't think time travel in the fantastical sense was possible i.e. going back in time to meet up with your dead buddy, because we can only exist at one point in time..so we only exist in the present, so if you could theoretically travel back in time, there would not be anyone there, if at all anything.

Hi again,

Yeah the math post on the other page. It happens quite frequently. Like the recent news about the kid discovering the actual number about the meteor hitting Earth or whatever....Math is based on assumptions which have yet to be proven wrong. They cannot be proven right nor wrong, and so as a result, we take them for granted.

But as soon as something does prove them wrong, we go re-writing textbooks. Which is why its highly likely that the calculations which we've made relating math and the formula of the speed of light and energy emitted, are all hypothetical, and could theoretically be proven wrong.

Medking

From everything I've learned in astrophysics, I could easily believe that you can teleport in the future, but never in the past.

If he found ways to travel in the past, there's a lot of mathematical equations out there that needed to be fixed and the guy is a genius, much like Einstein...

well i know religion and science are different, but if you do believe in god (which i do) i find it hard to believe that time travel could exist cause look at it this way... say today i died in a car accident and my soul went to heaven.... and then say someone has a time machine and wants to 'bring me back' so they go back into the past to prevent me from ever getting into that car and getting into a accident then i 'live again' but once im in heaven, im in heaven. my soul aint just going to 'come back' into my human body again.

i know it's all to confusing ;) lol ... but i just dont think time travel is possible overall. im sure the future holds alot of great things that we will never see but i just dont think time travel is one of them although it's a cool subject to think/talk about at times ;)

so once they get the whole time travel thing worked out, they'll be able to disprove the existence of heaven and hell too

guys think of it this way for every action you dont decide part of you has made that decision in another reality yes parrell earths realities.

u know i was thinkin bout this the other day...... would we really want this? I mean, consider this: What if you stepped into one of these machines, and as you are being transported, something goes wrong and you end up horribly disfigured/die? I mean, we're talking about flawed human equipment here...... most likely from China :p.... Would YOU want to take that risk?.....

What if they invented a teleportation device, and you stepped in, and as it was transporting you, there is a loss of power, and your particles are lost? NO THANKS! :p

I mean, even if these things were possible, even one day invtented, they probably wouldn't be for civilian use, simply because of those possible outcomes listed above. Even one accident would outrage and scare people. you'd probly have to sign a waiver assuming all the risk so you couldn't sue if your head was re-materialized backwards (a la Spaceballs)..... It would require an amount of trust in technology FAR GREATER than our current technology requires of us. I see only horrible consequences for this type of technology, and i'm not even a pessimist! :p

u know i was thinkin bout this the other day...... would we really want this? I mean, consider this: What if you stepped into one of these machines, and as you are being transported, something goes wrong and you end up horribly disfigured/die? I mean, we're talking about flawed human equipment here...... most likely from China :p.... Would YOU want to take that risk?.....

What if they invented a teleportation device, and you stepped in, and as it was transporting you, there is a loss of power, and your particles are lost? NO THANKS! :p

I mean, even if these things were possible, even one day invtented, they probably wouldn't be for civilian use, simply because of those possible outcomes listed above. Even one accident would outrage and scare people. you'd probly have to sign a waiver assuming all the risk so you couldn't sue if your head was re-materialized backwards (a la Spaceballs)..... It would require an amount of trust in technology FAR GREATER than our current technology requires of us. I see only horrible consequences for this type of technology, and i'm not even a pessimist! :p

some will say it maybe worth it

we are in the infancy, maybe in 1000 years the humans will be able to travel not just to the past but travel to others planet as common as traveling to your grocery store.

yeah I think if you travel to the past it causes a paradox that if you try to undo changes and save people and etc.I think you can only travel ahead and change that time line but not in the past because the past is done but future has nto been written and set in stone yet.

yeah I think if you travel to the past it causes a paradox that if you try to undo changes and save people and etc.I think you can only travel ahead and change that time line but not in the past because the past is done but future has nto been written and set in stone yet.

Well everyone knows that that is against "The Prime Directive"..

It wont happen, humans and everything else in this universe would not beable to be anything more than 1 atom for time travel, and thus it would be impossible because atoms aren't an intelligent life form.

It wont happen, humans and everything else in this universe would not beable to be anything more than 1 atom for time travel, and thus it would be impossible because atoms aren't an intelligent life form.

how and why

so once they get the whole time travel thing worked out, they'll be able to disprove the existence of heaven and hell too

my guess is as far as 'science' goes... they will never be able to prove or disprove that.

p.s. on a side note... in my opinion, i just think there's NO WAY humans could just be a accident in the universe... a 'higher power' had to create us ;) ... cause i just dont see how people cant believe in at least something after death.... cause if we die and that's it, just nothingness that would be no point in living really.