GTAIV - PS3 vs 360

here starts the inevitable flame war, personally the graphics processing of the 360 *should* help with visuals, however I could understand *if* PS3 was better at multitasking ingame elements, like crowds etc due to the nature of the processor.

I honestly think they'll be no different, can't see why there should.

The key word being different, and not superior :p

Is this article really worthy of it's on thread? There's a huge official thread for stuff like this.

The 360 uses DirectX, the PS3 uses (a heavily modified) OpenGL, of course they're going to look different, it's just how things are.

Go pick any game that has both an OpenGL and a DirectX renderer, Unreal Tournament comes to mind, and you'll see a difference. They'll both look the same overall, but you'll know they're also different.

Neither is better than the other, the 3D models and textures used are all identical so the differences are minute.

What I'm trying to say is that anyone who tries to claim that one is better than the other is an ill-informed fanboy that doesn't know what they're talking about.

The 360 uses DirectX, the PS3 uses (a heavily modified) OpenGL, of course they're going to look different, it's just how things are.

You forget the two systems also use two different classes of GPUs. It's not as simple as an API difference here.

Given he works for rockstar I don't think his oppinion on what looks better or not is misinformed or likely even overly bias. Given looks is very much based on individual opinion then its definitely possible for him to say that he feels one looks better than the other. It's just an opinion just like the comparisons between Assassins creed, ridge racer or whatever else.

You forget the two systems also use two different classes of GPUs. It's not as simple as an API difference here.

This is true, but if anything it just proves my point even more.

I've found that games generally look better on the xbox360 than PS3, I'm actually suprised that PS3 doesn't blow the xbox360 out of the water the time it took them to release, but I guess it was plagued with problems.

I've pre-ordered it for the xbox360, I have a feeling it's going to look/play better on there, plus I can't stand the PS3 controller :(

The games will look and play the same, only two reasons I'm getting it for the 360;

My friends list ( All my friends have the 360 pretty much )

The controller, i would never be able to use the Playstation controller again.

But comparing the two versions, I'm sure they will look the same.

I've found that games generally look better on the xbox360 than PS3, I'm actually suprised that PS3 doesn't blow the xbox360 out of the water the time it took them to release, but I guess it was plagued with problems.

I've pre-ordered it for the xbox360, I have a feeling it's going to look/play better on there, plus I can't stand the PS3 controller :(

On paper, the 360 has a much better GPU than the PS3, but the PS3 has much more potential Processing power.

I have both systems and chose the 360 strictly because of load times. The slow BD drive in the PS3 is a killer for this. Also i have not upgraded my HD in my ps3 yet and after I do is when I will start leaning towards the ps3 because I will have sufficient room to install the approx 4-5 gigs of installation files for each game.

I have the option of playing on both but have pre-ordered the xbox 360 version. I think his description of 'warm' can be easily replicated on a decent TV. I think the experience will just be better on the 360 due to live, although the games should be almost identical.

*waits for the inevitable audioboxer ps3 defence.....*

I think audio previously said he was on the fence about which to get and would be decided by what all his friends decided to go for. Peer Pressure ftw!

Guys seriously drop this argument.

Both will look similar, and anyway GTA4 is NOT the best looking game you'll ever play. It has a unique way of doing things, that you will either love or hate, or just get on with.

It won't be the game to push the limits of graphics on either platform. The scale it does things on is impressive, but texture quality isn't the sharpest.

NOT A CRITICISM really, im just warning anyone who's going to come guns blazing about what version looks minutely different.

I have the option of playing on both but have pre-ordered the xbox 360 version. I think his description of 'warm' can be easily replicated on a decent TV. I think the experience will just be better on the 360 due to live, although the games should be almost identical.

*waits for the inevitable audioboxer ps3 defence.....*

Was that needed?

I really don't think so.

I think audio previously said he was on the fence about which to get and would be decided by what all his friends decided to go for. Peer Pressure ftw!

I preordered the PS3 version, I've said that a few times.

My friends are evenly split on the whole - Good bunch with 360, good bunch with PS3. If it was majority vs minority I'd easily of gone 360 version, even although I have a lot of PS3 folk to play with on NW! I still want to be playing with my real life friends!

I went PS3 as my Live subscription expired and I don't have plans to go back to gold just now, let alone for one game :pinch:

And no that's not to start a live vs psn debate, I don't use Live much right now as the only online games im playing are TF2 and WoW :laugh: Both PC games!

Basically I've been paying MS for the last few months for nothing!

Putting my 360 online is also a hassle as I haven't bought a wireless adapter. Have to run a 15m cable downstairs - That is why you hardly ever see me on Live :laugh:

Ah well I've not been around as much the last couple of weeks so I didn't see what you'd said, last I seen you hadn't quite decided yet.

Either way, there's no MAJOR differences between either version so I don't think it's much of an issue. Sure, one might be a TEENY, TINY BIT less blurry in some random-assed corner of the map or something, but who cares.

The only difference between the games, from what I've read is the color palette. Such an insignificant thing, most TV's today has so many options you can tweak, It's not even worth mentioning.

This debate will go on forever.....

In one corner you have 360 fans saying that their version is going to be better than PS3 with various reasons as to why.

And in the other corner you have PS3 fans saying their version going be better than 360 with various reasons as to why.

At the end of the day, the game will play pretty much the same on both consoles and the majority of people buying the game will not care at all from this debate rubbish.

If anything i think this guy is just spinning some debate over the game before launch to hype it up even more. I have seen the game *in action* (x360) and it's not all that amazing. A good game yes, but not great but i will still get it myself :)

Here is the biggest reason the xbox 360 version is superior than the ps3 version.

IN GAME voice chat with your friends.

So you all you ps3 fanbois can't argue that.

And I own both systems, but not being able to instantly msg a buddy for help or to chat about a recent mission or funny moment takes away from any game, period.

and oh wait for the in game XMB.

I sure am, just like home is coming soon, oh wait.

I doubt it will be much different than current games for both systems. The PS3 versions tend to have better smoothing and further draw distance and in almost all experiences better looking plant life. But I really doubt any 360 owners are going to be complaining about the graphics. This game is gunna rock our socks off, for either console. Why can't it be next week already lol

I doubt it will be much different than current games for both systems. The PS3 versions tend to have better smoothing and further draw distance and in almost all experiences better looking plant life. But I really doubt any 360 owners are going to be complaining about the graphics. This game is gunna rock our socks off, for either console. Why can't it be next week already lol

I don't want to start a flame war but do you have any evidence supporting your claims? :ermm:

I don't want to start a flame war but do you have any evidence supporting your claims? :ermm:

Take a look at Uncharted, a perfect example of detailed plants etc.