GTAIV - PS3 vs 360

QUESTION!!!

Wasn't GTA:IV supposed to be an X360 exclusive? I could've sworn I saw it on Moore's arm back at E3 '06 (or was it 05?).

Am I missing a story here??

err no it was never an exclusive. Your probably thinking of the downloadable content, which is exclusive for XBOX360.

Yes they do look different and beleive it or not, GTAIV looks and performs much better on PS3. I had both the 360 and PS3 connected via HDMI. I have the retail copy for PS3 and played the backup for 360. The 360 version is inferior to the PS3, this along with Burnout Paradise proves multi-platform gaming on the PS3 has begun to be turn out the best version to get, graphics/performance-wise. Pop-in from environments ahead and frame-rate issues plague the 360 possibly evidence the 360 is losing its age while the PS3 performs without any hiccups but does require a 5-10 minute installation before playing.

f_21942512badm_48346d3.jpg

f_1f374a54db7m_1cfa631.jpg

f_P1000337m_13fa0f8.jpg

Yes they do look different and beleive it or not, GTAIV looks and performs much better on PS3. I had both the 360 and PS3 connected via HDMI. I have the retail copy for PS3 and played the backup for 360. The 360 version is inferior to the PS3, this along with Burnout Paradise proves multi-platform gaming on the PS3 has begun to be turn out the best version to get, graphics/performance-wise. Pop-in from environments ahead and frame-rate issues plague the 360 possibly evidence the 360 is losing its age while the PS3 performs without any hiccups but does require a 5-10 minute installation before playing.

All these two games prove is open world games work best when not loading directly off of optical medium (something we really already knew).

Unfortunately for Microsoft nobody has been willing to use their hard drive extensively because it would mean a few million Core/Arcade owners can't play the game, and making it optional raises the question of whether or not that extra work is worth it if it doesn't work on all systems.

Believe me if online wasn't as big as a component as it is in this game (and Burnout for that matter) I'd have the games on PS3 when I get them. But I have only one friend in real life that only has a PS3, and only one other that owns both and is in my same boat (in other words, also getting it for 360 to play with friends).

So....

The gpu's are still in the same gen. Just because It's DIFFERENT doesn't mean its a gen ahead....

How are they the same gen?

Edited by Danrarbc

I was considering getting GTAIV (after originally deciding not too) and I would of got in on the 360, no brainier decision for me (I have a 360 and PS3) but the achievements and extra content the 360 version is getting is a winner for me. However, after word got out the Aussie version of the game has been butchered to be released here *raises fist in the air* thanks to our lovely friends at the OLFC :rolleyes: I'm not even considering getting it now. Sure I could import it (PS3 version that is), but I'm not going to.

Edited by Xerxes

Eh, I'm not too fussed about the whole 360 v PS3 thing. I have a 360, it has more games that I'm keen on (Banjo Kazoie 3 tops that list). In the end, I'll just download it when it comes out for PC (having already bought it for 360) and play it with all the graphics turned up.

So....

The gpu's are still in the same gen. Just because It's DIFFERENT doesn't mean its a gen ahead....

They're not the same gen. The technology used in the 360's GPU was used in graphics cards from the generation AFTER. Just because the number is smaller doesn't mean it's from a previous generation.

They're not the same gen. The technology used in the 360's GPU was used in graphics cards from the generation AFTER. Just because the number is smaller doesn't mean it's from a previous generation.

I understand the number. But just because it has some attributes from the following R600 series doesn't mean it's a whole different generation from the RSX. Right? That's how I see it anyways.

What I'm saying, is that its the same gen in the sense that they provide basically the same visuals, and will always do so for the rest of both consoles lifespan. There'll never be a clear example of one being a clear victor over the other.

It doesn't matter what generation it is or what generation you think it is, quite simply the Xenos is more powerful on paper than the RSX is. I don't just mean slightly more powerful or that it has a slight edge somewhere, it's a good bit more powerful (example, the RSX is rated at a maximum of 350million polygons per second, the Xenos is rated at 500Million polygons a second - real life reduces these numbers considerably but the difference there alone is clear) There's no opinion or anything here, it's a cold, hard, fact and it stems from the RSX being essentially ported from the PC and the Xenos being purpose built.

However, all the same, the PS3's CELL CPU is more powerful on paper than the 360's Xenon, in the end it all balances out and both consoles are extremely evenly matched.

It can upscale to 1080p without a problem, just like the PS3. As far as I can see, there's no difference between what either console can output at, they both tend to render at around 720p and scale as appropriate (however it does seem that certain PS3 games HAVE to support 1080p, whereas all 360 games can be upscaled to it, but don't quote me on that as I don't have a PS3 to confirm).

^^^The fact that you can find posts like that is completely irrelevant to the point he was making that newer 360's are far more reliable (not to mention that two of those links are the same article).

If people cared about RROD as much as the PS3 camp would have everyone think, there'd be no reason that the 360 should've reached 19 million sold, up 74% from a year ago.

-Spenser

It's not irrelevant to this quote

"I've yet to see anyone with a "falcon" report the RROD"

Much more reliable? Sure hope so.

If PS3's price tag and lack of games were a huge deal as the 360 camp would have you think, it wouldn't have sold 13 million.

If the Wii's lack of graphics and playable anything were as huge a deal as the 360/PS3 camps would have you think, it wouldn't have already outsold the Gamecube.

*shrug*

People buy anything.

The picture was proved to be a fake.

Not this one. We set one up for the release of Madden 08 back in the summer. RRoD within 10 minutes of running.

181604359685.jpg

And we couldn't get the disc out.

It can upscale to 1080p without a problem, just like the PS3. As far as I can see, there's no difference between what either console can output at, they both tend to render at around 720p and scale as appropriate (however it does seem that certain PS3 games HAVE to support 1080p, whereas all 360 games can be upscaled to it, but don't quote me on that as I don't have a PS3 to confirm).

There are few games that support 1080p natively, and actually, I think the PS3 has trouble properly upscaling 720p or other resolutions to 1080p on it's own. I'm pretty sure it only has a horizontal upscaler in the hardware, while I think the 360 has a purposeful upscaling chip inside.

It's not irrelevant to this quote

"I've yet to see anyone with a "falcon" report the RROD"

Much more reliable? Sure hope so.

If PS3's price tag and lack of games were a huge deal as the 360 camp would have you think, it wouldn't have sold 13 million.

If the Wii's lack of graphics and playable anything were as huge a deal as the 360/PS3 camps would have you think, it wouldn't have already outsold the Gamecube.

*shrug*

People buy anything.

Except the Wii isn't selling games. It's got a stupidly low attach rate. People bought it because of the novelty, most people rarely play on them and don't feel the need to buy games for it.

The PS3 is better, but not by a huge degree. Unfortunately for gamers, the much-touted Blu-Ray drive is a double-edged sword, with a lot of people buying it as a player first and a console second, the end result is less people buying games for the system. Like it or not, the 360 was designed purely to play games and that's what it does best. The PS3 is just as good, but it takes a it more effort from developers to actually get the best out of it.

Not this one. We set one up for the release of Madden 08 back in the summer. RRoD within 10 minutes of running.

181604359685.jpg

And we couldn't get the disc out.

Ummm...we're talking about the FALCON models. Not all Elites are falcons, not all 360's with a HDMI port are falcons. They only started producing them around August of 08, so chances are that 360 you've got there isn't a falcon (especially since you had it before Madden was released, which was mid-august)

Except the Wii isn't selling games. It's got a stupidly low attach rate. People bought it because of the novelty, most people rarely play on them and don't feel the need to buy games for it.

Actually that's quite false, Wii games litter the top 10, and a lot of them have sold millions and millions of copies.

The attach rate will no doubt be lower than the 360, due to the Wii games I talk about being a small focused bunch of decent titles, as opposed to a larger library of good titles on the 360.

But saying the Wii isn't selling games is daft :/

In comparison to the competition, it's not selling as many games as it should be. Yes, it does have those AAA titles that sell millions, just like any console, but it doesn't have many of them and the rest simply don't shift great numbers.

In comparison to the competition, it's not selling as many games as it should be. Yes, it does have those AAA titles that sell millions, just like any console, but it doesn't have many of them and the rest simply don't shift great numbers.

Mario and Sonic at the Olympics and Carnival games are hardly AAA and they must have shipped 5million + :rofl:

It's got mario AND sonic in it, plus it's an official olympic game, that's 3 major brands in one, of course that'll shift numbers.

it's an party game .. at least a lot of people tend to think of it as a party game .. it won't ship as much...

going back on topic .. i've seen some issues on the 360's .. I'm still not sure...

I'm waiting for the GT review to popup. The IGN one isn't very helpfull on this subject.

I'm leaning towards 360 as I prefer Xbox Live over PSN anyday...

In comparison to the competition, it's not selling as many games as it should be.

That's not true either. In the US at least NPD numbers have total Wii software sales within a few million units of the 360's. And the attach rate jumped, even if Wii Play is cut out of the equation.

The Wii doesn't sell software argument is dead.

As much as 360? No, But the 360 is abnormally high (though it's slowing down thanks to the group of people that bought it for Halo, and only Halo - and yes that group exists)

yes but there's quite a few more Wii's out there than 360's, yet it's selling MILLIONS less software. The attach rate isn't going up much, nor is the 360's going down. Halo 3 was released more half a year ago, it's affect on the attach rate is over and done with, yet it still remains "abnormally high".

Also, if you're going to come off with anything like that, feel free to post some statistics to back up your claims.