Got bored, Come watch OS X own all :D

Hey guys, i got bored as hell so I decided to open 1000 TextEdit windows and see how the system ran after.

Performance was identical in every way, just a few more Read Write IOs than normal.

aajpkaabj.jpg

To make matters more awesome I was even filming it fullscreen with "IShowYou" and we all know how much power that sucks away.

If you wana watch the video head over to: http://blip.tv/file/896833/

lol, I suck, I know :D

Hey guys, i got bored as hell so I decided to open 1000 TextEdit windows and see how the system ran after.

Performance was identical in every way, just a few more Read Write IOs than normal.

aajpkaabj.jpg

To make matters more awesome I was even filming it fullscreen with "IShowYou" and we all know how much power that sucks away.

If you wana watch the video head over to: http://blip.tv/file/896833/

lol, I suck, I know :D

Nice..now take a screenshot and make that your desktop background, that'll confuse the hell outta anyone. :laugh:

I tried to perform the same thing with xfce but xfce-panel (the thing a bit like the taskbar in windows) ended up being a bottleneck and crippled when it got to over 200 windows. The composited window manager could handle it fine, though. If I close xfce-panel I could probably get 1000 but I can't be bothered.

By the way I used this bash script to perform what you did in a few seconds:

for ((i=0;i<=1000;i+=1)); do mousepad & done

edit: I just realised that actually opens 1001 :o

Edited by Borbus

Prove. Please open 1000 notepads and post a shot. :D

done.

1000notepadez0.th.jpg

i thik you needa good pc to do it. i have 4GBs of ram and a core 2 quad.

i got to like 300 and a ballon came up saying about poor performance at the time i was using like 3.2GBs of ram this dropped to about 2.8GBs

then when i got to 350 and it said aero was using too much ram and turned it off then ram usage dropped again from 3.2GBs to about 1.9GBs.

from there on i just had to open loads more upto 1000 it seemed it was aero taking most of the ram to run the windows rather than notepad itself.

ended on about 3GBs as from the pic

Gave it a shot. My poor little 1.8ghz Core Duo almost choked on me when doing an expose. :p

Ram usage--acceptable. (for 1000 TextEdits at least)

Picture%201.png

CPU usage only shot up when doing the Expose of course. Rest of the OS usable--I only have 2GB in the Macbook anyway.

Whoever can open 1000 PSDs with a bajillion layers and lots of those layers being smart filters and still have a useable system afterwards will win the intarwebs.

Whoever can open 1000 PSDs with a bajillion layers and lots of those layers being smart filters and still have a useable system afterwards will win the intarwebs.

BAJILLION! BAJILLION?????

The most i've ever had is 25 layers :( lmao

I own all i went outside!

And you came back to post about it on a forum! Epic Fail!