Got bored, Come watch OS X own all :D

Why use something quick and easy like notepad?

post-248102-1210553315_thumb.jpg

Every window after the first isn't a big deal - it's orders of magnitude less memory/cpu usage because it's sharing code that's already loaded.

To do something harder open several hundred instances of firefox and navigate to different sites. While the core code is still shared, you'll have unique data to draw for every window.

That being said, it is impressive that the underlying memory management and GUI subsystems are robust enough to handle this meany open applications.

It's nothing of the sort.

A good memory benchmark would be something like performing a traveling salesman over a multi-gigabyte data set and displaying the results as text on dozens (yes, only dozens) of rapidly scrolling text views.

This does absolutely nothing to stress the memory management or graphics systems. You could cause more stress on both just by tinkering in Quartz Composer or Core Image Funhouse for 20 minutes.

Can someone tell me how to/or make a script/automation that will open 10,000 textedit windows?

display dialog "How many Text Edit windows?" default answer "10"
set limit to text returned of result
tell application "TextEdit"
	launch
	repeat limit times
		make new document
	end repeat
end tell

To you guys who wants to test an needs a script for Windows. Here is a easy one:

Dim open, WshShell

set open = CreateObject("WScript.Shell")

numWindows = 1000 'Number of windows to open

timeBe = 200 'Time between each open window in milliseconds

For i = 1 To numWindows

open.Run("notepad.exe")

WScript.sleep timeBe

Next

Copy and save as whateveryouwant.vbs

If you want to impress someone, then open 1000 Photoshop windows on a Mac. TextEdit windows dont take up a lot of memory and are low on system resources. I can open 1000+ notepad windows on a PC and it would work the same way.

If you want to impress someone, then open 1000 Photoshop windows on a Mac. TextEdit windows dont take up a lot of memory and are low on system resources. I can open 1000+ notepad windows on a PC and it would work the same way.

Opening numerous [empty] Photoshop documents would be more of a stability test on Photoshop than the operating system.

Just tried running the following C# program which opens 1000 notepad windows, in Windows Vista, with 2GB of ram :

namespace CSharpTest {
	class Program {
		static void Main(string[] args) {
			string path = "C:\\Windows\\System32\\notepad.exe";
			for (int i = 0; i < 1000; i++) {
				System.Diagnostics.Process.Start(path);
			}
		}
	}
}

The system went unresponsive for a minute, then Aero was disabled and a warning appeared that it had been disabled. After maybe 2 minutes, the interface became responsive again, and according to Windows there were 988 notepad windows open (weird). Each notepad window was usable. I hit printscreen and opened Paint.NET, but it crashed. I tried to open MSPaint, but it gave an error message and quit. Then the taskbar became unresponsive again, so I had no way of closing the whole group together. I couldn't close them individually either because the task manager was messed up. I ended up CTRL-ALT-DELeting out and restarting the system.

I'm a bit disappointed.

well I can open only 8 psd (+20layers) at a time (because of the openGL) but I've got only 1GB RAM and a 256MB GC ;)

Number of layer's open isn't a very useful figure.

Look at the size of document in memory. I've got a 6 layer document open that's over 3gb (billboard resolution images). I've also got a 50-ish layer document that's under 300mb (screen resolution images/vectors/text).

EDIT: also, photoshops use of the graphics accelerator is absolutely trivial when compared with the capabilities of Quartz or WDM.

start notepad.exe && start notepad.exe 

... and so forth. Tested with Windows Vista SP1 32-bit on a P4 2.8GHz/1GB RAM/Intel Graphics. I got up to ~800 total processes before I stopped it.

Tested on Windows 7, = BSOD after 60 processes :D

I didn't go through the thread but have you tried pressing expose?

Some guy did, there is a screenshot back a little.

Opening numerous [empty] Photoshop documents would be more of a stability test on Photoshop than the operating system.

Photoshop takes up a lot more memory that a simple text screen like notepad. Loading 1000 Photoshop will use a lot of system memory and I would be curious to see how the system performs then.

Photoshop takes up a lot more memory that a simple text screen like notepad. Loading 1000 Photoshop will use a lot of system memory and I would be curious to see how the system performs then.

Photoshop itself consumes more memory than a text editor, but continual empty Photoshop documents do not.

Upon launch, it used 100mb of ram. And after 50 new empty Photoshop documents (default size):

Picture%202-1236715033.png

Here is a simple batch script i wrote to open 10,000 instances of Notepad. Copy the code and save it as <something>.bat

<code>

@echo off

echo Mission: Open 10000 instances of notepad - and survive.

echo.

pause

set i=0;

:loop

if %i%==10000 goto end

set /a i+=1

start notepad.exe

goto loop

:end

echo Status: Achieved

echo %i% instances of notepad are running

echo.

echo Press any key to exit . . .

pause>nul

exit

<\code>

Hopefully your system can survive. Mine is a 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo with 4GB of RAM running the Windows 7 beta and it froze after running this script for about 5 minutes.

Wow, I had to log off to make it stop. The fans in my laptop went into overdrive. I've never heard my laptop sound like a small jet engine, seriously. In Windows Vista, you can't see the animation for opening a program after 90-100 instances of notepad.

Well I guess this puts this to rest then.

Windows XP can open millions of sessions of notepad.exe

Windows Vista can barely open 100 before getting slow and bulkey

Windows 7 just plain BSODs

Mac OS X is 1000 the record so far, maybe it's time for somebody with a Mac Pro to do an apple script for 10,000?

For the record, we should state whether or not these tests are run on Vista RTM, SP1, or SP2, along with architecture. The reason why I believe this is important is because GDI limits were raised in x86 SP1 (havent checked SP2) and x64 has an even higher ceiling.

Well I guess this puts this to rest then.

Windows XP can open millions of sessions of notepad.exe

Windows Vista can barely open 100 before getting slow and bulkey

Windows 7 just plain BSODs

Mac OS X is 1000 the record so far, maybe it's time for somebody with a Mac Pro to do an apple script for 10,000?

Just got Windows 7 (build 7000) to open and run 1000 notepad.exe sessions.

:)

Screenshot please ;)

I was running XP on my MacBook and managed to get 190 open before windows citied, OUT OF MEMORY, 190 using 2GB of RAM, thats stupid :D.

Can somebody post up an applescript for doing this on OS X, I wana see how far I can push my MacBook, we'll try for 5000 this time.

Screenshot please ;)

I was running XP on my MacBook and managed to get 190 open before windows citied, OUT OF MEMORY, 190 using 2GB of RAM, thats stupid :D .

Can somebody post up an applescript for doing this on OS X, I wana see how far I can push my MacBook, we'll try for 5000 this time.

Look up.