Got bored, Come watch OS X own all :D

When this thread was first posted last summer I did try launching 1000 Notepad windows on Vista x64. The system just froze up and I had to do a hard reset. :pinch:

why can I only open notepad 194 times? windows xp sp 2 home

Well, this is what I find amusing.

Both Mac OS X and Linux run on a similar windowing system (X) and it seams to be miles ahead of whatever the native Windows Windowing System is. You'd think Windows would be able to keep a fair amount of Windows open at the time time, but, the name goes against itself I guess.

So OSX is great because it can run 1000 text edits. What if I open up 1000 paints on Windows? 1000 notepads just doesn't seem impressive at all. 1000 paints is just insane and unheard of.

Notepad may be able to handle that many instances of its window if it didn't create a new process for each opened Notepad instance. I saw those screenshots of TextEdit in OS X's resource monitor; it appears to use the same TextEdit process for all those windows (reference giga's post as an example).

There's also a problem with Windows; it was more serious with 9x, but a little less on XP and probably far less in Vista+. By default there's a cap on the number of GDI objects used at once - used to draw menus, controls, buttons, etc. According to Task Manager, Windows 7's Notepad eats up 24 objects per process. If you go on and spawn 1000 Notepads Windows acts funky when it hits the GDI object cap; it's probably somewhere in the tens of thousands. Windows and dialogs fail to draw, even the out of memory error boxes. :s

Hopefully someone that knows a bit more about this can clarify. At any rate, realistically speaking no one opens THAT many processes, so it shouldn't be that big of an issue.

Screenshot please ;)

Yup sure. Didn't have to hard reset it or log out to end it.

Just ended the process (no way in hell am I going to click through the 1000 notepad save prompts). Aero turned off automatically. Could change windows, launch Firefox but just quite slow at doing it.

I don't have a beast but specs are e6320 @ 2.1 ghz. 3gb ram. 8800 gt

wee.png

Both Mac OS X and Linux run on a similar windowing system (X) and it seams to be miles ahead of whatever the native Windows Windowing System is. You'd think Windows would be able to keep a fair amount of Windows open at the time time, but, the name goes against itself I guess.

Someone was able to open over 6000 instances of Notepad in Windows XP. Could be photoshopped though. :p

I'm new to Macs. Please can you tell me what the shortcut to the screen grab is? I don't like the screen grab application. Anyone know if you can screen grab using a key sequence like in Windows (PrnScn or ALT-PrnScn)?

I'm new to Macs. Please can you tell me what the shortcut to the screen grab is? I don't like the screen grab application. Anyone know if you can screen grab using a key sequence like in Windows (PrnScn or ALT-PrnScn)?

CMD+SHIFT+3 is for the entire screen

CMD+SHIFT+4 is for drawing a box around something

CMD+SHIFT+4 THEN Spacebar allows you to click on an application to screenshot JUST that

Whole screen: Shift + CMD + 3

Single window: Shift + CMD + 4, Then press Spacebar (also works for icons, dock & menubar)

Shift + CMD + 4: Then click and drag to select the area you want to capture.

Both Mac OS X and Linux run on a similar windowing system (X) and it seams to be miles ahead of whatever the native Windows Windowing System is.

This isn't even remotely close to true.

Mac OS X's doesn't have anything in common with X11. No shared code, no shared protocols, even the fundamental architecture is different. WindowServer has more in common with Windows than it does Linux+x11, so much so that X11 applications on Mac OS X work in a very similar way as they would on Windows.

you dont understand waht im saying

I can only OPEN 194 im using only 2-3% cpu(thats with firefox and winamp running also)

in other words I could open more but it wont let me I click and it does nothing

I got bored too and tested 1000 textedit windows :)

System was perfectly functional and even expose worked, but i think not all windows were shown :)

imac 7,1 20" 2Ghz, 2 Gb ram, ati 2400xt

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8INPgnHukN8...re=channel_page

*claps hands* nice one. Any other iMac owners wana give the script a spin?

P.S. Nice dock.