Got bored, Come watch OS X own all :D

I bet #556 isn't usable. 556 always was a surly bastitch, goddamn him.

Really? It works like a charm in my system. But I just can't get #342 to work :s

@up: Could you actually burn 1000 toasts simultaneously?

i tried 1337x on Vista .. only did 1054 tough :x

Ps .. the Word one doesn't count as it uses an shared subsystem .. doesn't (really) matter how many you open...

(Again .. MS Office 2007 ftw ^^)

Notepad.exe sucks tough haha.

ps .. this is really useless @ 3:41AM haha

I have something better :p

Thats basically how I run my macbook 24/7 :p

Anyway I gave it a shot.

picture2ak2.png

Expose didnt work :(

It would have been awesome to see this in Spaces with Expose, but none of it worked, damn GMA950.

For some reason my macbook will NEVER use more then 1.5gb RAM... I have 2gb total and ALWAYS 500gb is either free or inactive, with all that stuff running, that normal? :huh:

I would try...but I've got a monster uptime on my desktop right now and I don't want to ruin it :D

very nice, my vista crashes (right click stops working, cant open folders, etc) when i open 30 IE tabs

Crashes for 30 tabs on IE :|

lol, I run about 4 Safari windows with about 15-20 tabs on each (one window on each space, for different purposes) and I will get ****ed off if it happens to crash after about 9 days uptime (it has crash like this once :( )

^you just made a geek threat even geekier. :D

when i first saw the threat i thought "glad someone tryed it for me" but now i really want to do it myself. just for the freaking hell of it. :D

I fancy trying this out! :D I've got a Core 2 Quad Q9500, 2GB of DDR2 RAM, and an 8800GT with Vista Home Premium, so I'm gonna aim for at least 3,000 Notepads! :p

Can someone tell me how to/or make a script/automation that will open 10,000 textedit windows? Wana try it on this Mac Pro :D

Guys seriously, this is the Mac discussion, make your own thread :D

Seriously, if you didn't want people trying this on other OS's, you shouldn't have baited Windows/Linux users in the thread title.

Speaking of which, I'm not sure how the Windows taskbar would handle such a preposterous number of windows. Running this number of applications is not really a good benchmark of OS performance seeing as how it's so far out of the realm of standard use cases. There are no real world scenarios where a Mac OS X user would want 1000+ windows open. That being said, it is impressive that the underlying memory management and GUI subsystems are robust enough to handle this meany open applications.

Seriously, if you didn't want people trying this on other OS's, you shouldn't have baited Windows/Linux users in the thread title.

Speaking of which, I'm not sure how the Windows taskbar would handle such a preposterous number of windows. Running this number of applications is not really a good benchmark of OS performance seeing as how it's so far out of the realm of standard use cases. There are no real world scenarios where a Mac OS X user would want 1000+ windows open. That being said, it is impressive that the underlying memory management and GUI subsystems are robust enough to handle this meany open applications.

XP and Vista group multiple windows from the same app by default if you have too many windows making it an Leopard stack-like presentation (just not flow-ey and stuff)

XP and Vista group multiple windows from the same app by default if you have too many windows making it an Leopard stack-like presentation (just not flow-ey and stuff)

I know, but then it pops out a menu...with 1000 items..., i'm just not sure how it would handle it that's all. Tell you what though, I have more faith in Vista being able to do it than XP, that's for sure. The DWM is a lot more robust than the GDI engine.

Can someone tell me how to/or make a script/automation that will open 10,000 textedit windows? Wana try it on this Mac Pro :D

I already posted one back on page 1 which everyone seemed to miss and do this tedious task the hard way. Being able to start 1000 processes by pressing 1000 keys is something even the first computers could do :sleep:

1) I wasnt baiting, I was stating a fact

2) It's not a benchmark, it's boredum, if I really wanted to I could have made a really simple app that does nothing in XCODE and opened that 1million times

Microsoft put a block in Windows to stop this occurring ... because they wanted to stop extreme geeks from being able to start threads like this :p

Oh dear God. :D LOL

• 9 months later...

Sorry to revivie such an ancient thread people, but now that I have a PC I'd like to mess around a bit and build a script that'll open 10,000 Notepad files, I've got 8GB of RAM, so why not.

However if I'm to build a simple batch script like:

cd C:\Windows\
notepad.exe
notepad.exe
notepad.exe

It'll only open one instance at a time, anyone know of a way around this?

start notepad.exe && start notepad.exe 

... and so forth. Tested with Windows Vista SP1 32-bit on a P4 2.8GHz/1GB RAM/Intel Graphics. I got up to ~800 total processes before I stopped it.