Recent news layout update on Main page

Have to say I prefer it the way it was, at at least in regard to mouseover on the Main, Software, Gamers, Forums tabs at the top, I would just mouseover Software and Gamers to see if there was any new news in there (as unfortunately it doesn't show on the main page nor in the news any of these :()

I can understand not having the latest news rotate in the advertising section at the top as it was already on the main page though.

Just my tuppence worth

Sorry but I preferred it the way it was. :blink:

I am going to have to say the same...

but i think it would be better if there wasn't a small preview of the story, rather clicking on it will take me directly to the story

also, it seems kind of repetitive since theres 2 bars to access stuff if you get what i mean

frankly I want the hover dropdowns back, sure the rest of the changes are ok I guess.

but removing the dropdowns are just annoying. I just want to check if there are any new stories in those sections by a quick mouseover, and then click to go to it.

this just adds unecessary clicks and site traffic, it's pretty much a step backwards in usability and site design with traffic taken into consideration. and as was said earlier, the real effet will probably just be that peopel just stop visiting those sections.

removing the dropdowns are just annoying. I just want to check if there are any new stories in those sections by a quick mouseover, and then click to go to it.

same :/

The hell? Didn't work. I guess it hasn't propagated to the other server yet.

Nope, changes are made instantly on both servers

Isn't this discouraging people to go into those sections? Now users have less exposure to those feeds, feeds being less distinguished between sections... at least for me, now I probably won't even look at those feeds, where as before I can just rollover to get a quick glance on news updates.

I agree. Opening a new tab just to see what new stuff was posted is a rather inconvenience. Sure, it's not a big deal as it would seem, but when you already had something better to begin with, why change it? Falls sort of along the lines of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it."

Sorry guys, I just like the old way a lot better. Quick, easy, convenient. Not to mention less clutter. :/

I agree. Opening a new tab just to see what new stuff was posted is a rather inconvenience. Sure, it's not a big deal as it would seem, but when you already had something better to begin with, why change it? Falls sort of along the lines of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it."

Sorry guys, I just like the old way a lot better. Quick, easy, convenient. Not to mention less clutter. :/

I suspect the goal is to actually generate more pageviews wich in turn results in more ads being shown, unfortunately I think it'll backlash and peopel just won't read the gaes and software stories and will jsut use the forums more isntead. that's what I'll end up doing.

and I also wouldn't do extra tabs, I allready have close to 50 at ay one time, I only open exra neowin tabs when I want to read multiple topics from the last 5 and don't want them to drop off before I read :p

I suspect the goal is to actually generate more pageviews wich in turn results in more ads being shown, unfortunately I think it'll backlash and peopel just won't read the gaes and software stories and will jsut use the forums more isntead. that's what I'll end up doing.

and I also wouldn't do extra tabs, I allready have close to 50 at ay one time, I only open exra neowin tabs when I want to read multiple topics from the last 5 and don't want them to drop off before I read :p

I just hope they don't make the changes to the forums as well. :(

I just hope they don't make the changes to the forums as well. :(

From first post ...

a forum version will follow sometime in the near future

what'll that change ? turnign the forum to threaded vew and making you click the link for each post to read the actual reply :p

I do like the new changes and the fact that you have given us a lot more options as users, thank you very much :)

However, something about it does look wrong and I can't put my finger on it :/

I don't use the front page, but on the rare occasion I do I liked the drop downs better than this. User interface wise it's kind of odd the way it is now.

I always come in by the frontpage.

The rollover dropdowns are very very useful in quickly looking at the new stuff in the Software, Games and Forums sections.

I wish the rollover dropdowns to come back.

I like the old way better as well, oh well....its not my website. :/

I just noticed this. :cool:

It's not bad, TBH, but also TBH, it's not much more than eye-candy (?). I mean the dropdowns do the same thing and they're usually quicker.

However, I like facts and figures (statistics i.e. quickest, slowest, biggest, smallest...ad infinitum) so it's cool to see what news items have been rated/viewed/commented most.

I always come in by the frontpage.

The rollover dropdowns are very very useful in quickly looking at the new stuff in the Software, Games and Forums sections.

Yep +1

I wish the rollover dropdowns to come back.

Dropdowns working fine for me here. :)

Edited by redeemed

I've change my mind and decided it doesn't look weird anymore.

I love the fact that it is giving us more options and after using it for a day or two, I've noticed more blog posts (before, I did not look at the blogs as I forgot about them and they weren't as easily accessable).

Also, I love the fact that we can now see he most popular stories and the most rated stories just as easily.

Have to say I prefer it the way it was, at at least in regard to mouseover on the Main, Software, Gamers, Forums tabs at the top, I would just mouseover Software and Gamers to see if there was any new news in there (as unfortunately it doesn't show on the main page nor in the news any of these :()

Agreed, mousing over the Software and Gamers tab was a great way to quickly check for new stuff.

I think it will be a good idea to have a poll about this interface change. I would prefer to have the drop down menu's back. I browse through software news very often. The drop downs give the ability to quickly see if there is anything new.

Also when I click the software tab instead of software news by itself I see main page + software news with the green theme. Is that how its intended to be ? It would be nice if the software tab brings up software news only when clicked.