Recent news layout update on Main page

The drop downs on main page (Software, Gamers, Forums) at the top don't work for me in Firefox. They do work when I enter the forum and try.

I dunno, but I miss it.

I do not like the new interface, for reasons already stated by others. I also agree that it should be optional, a setting just like a theme. I really never used anything but the pop ups for neowin; the new interface kinda killed it for me. :/

Ok when you change a popular feature it should be obvious....... this made me think the homepage was broken.

I don't mind the change, but I'd really like a full listing of the game / software section in the same area. Sigh.. is that doable? :geek:

The drop downs on main page (Software, Gamers, Forums) at the top don't work for me in Firefox. They do work when I enter the forum and try.

I dunno, but I miss it.

That's because there is now no need for the drop-down on the main page. Try using the tabs a bit and use them the same way you would normally use the drop-down. It is a good update in my eyes and I'm sure you'll get very used to it soon. :)

That's because there is now no need for the drop-down on the main page. Try using the tabs a bit and use them the same way you would normally use the drop-down. It is a good update in my eyes and I'm sure you'll get very used to it soon. :)

You can't get all the new software / game listing right now. Only a mixture of "news".. sigh. :|

Except I like to have just the forum on that part, I use the last 5 almost exclusively, and just hover over the tabs to check if there's anything there, there's so rare for there to be anything there anyway.

The way it is now is nowhere near as effective.

now if they kept the last 5 forum posts where they are and put all the other crap in the useless box to the right of it, that'd be ok, then they could just drop the software and games sections too ad just have "news". there's so little going on in them, especially games, that they may as well have all news as just news, and alternatively use a tag system for easier searching for different kinds of news. wich would be much more versatile too.

For the love of god BRING BACK the 'mouseover' menus, what a frustrating 'update' to a feature that didn't need changing!!

I spent ages earlier trying to work out why I could no longer see the latest news updates and now I know why!!

Hate it with such a strong passion :*(

I just noticed this. :cool:

It's not bad, TBH, but also TBH, it's not much more than eye-candy (?). I mean the dropdowns do the same thing and they're usually quicker.

However, I like facts and figures (statistics i.e. quickest, slowest, biggest, smallest...ad infinitum) so it's cool to see what news items have been rated/viewed/commented most.

Dropdowns working fine for me here. :)

Not from the main page, as Harreh said.

I've change my mind and decided it doesn't look weird anymore.

I love the fact that it is giving us more options and after using it for a day or two, I've noticed more blog posts (before, I did not look at the blogs as I forgot about them and they weren't as easily accessable).

Also, I love the fact that we can now see he most popular stories and the most rated stories just as easily.

+1 for the blog posts.

maybe use both? selectable via my Neowin

ste

(Y)

You're trying it from the forums. Try it on the main page.

True thanks. I just noticed that. :/

what if we add gamers and software tabs to the new panel?

TBH thats exactly the same as it is now, requiring a further click just to check Gamers and Software updates (although it wouldn't obviously take as long as a whole page refresh :), the mouseover was a win/win situation.

I just don't see why the hover menus had to be removed for this new system in the first place.

the buttons are still there so why can't the hover menus be there too.

I just don't see why the hover menus had to be removed for this new system in the first place.

the buttons are still there so why can't the hover menus be there too.

Shhh, the buttons will get removed :p

what if we add gamers and software tabs to the new panel?

Do it. Old way was simply better hands down, but if you do this, I will love you. I don't care what my girlfriend says.

The changes are not an improvement.

It was much better before.

Also, why did you demote the software section?

Usability just took a nosedive.

Forum stats will start to show it, I'm sure.

The changes are not an improvement.

It was much better before.

Agreed - without the mouseover I'll never visit those other sections - I doubt I'' ever go to any of those tabbed areas either, unless I follow a link to there from another site.

It almost looks like a revenue gathering scheme, but that is so 1999.....