[OSx86] I Hope Apple stops these OSX86 installs

I do promise to quote you on this one day. ;)

Cara, you may quote me on that the day: A.) Apple changes their pricing scheme, and B.) Makes their systems more business friendly.

Until that day comes, you will be waiting for a mighty long time...

mmmm, I love my hack. I dont have to use any special hardware to be running leopard and its not like my machine doesnt look good (Antec sonata3 case with asus 19" LCD).

Personaly tho, if you cant get it to run propely on your hardware you shouldnt be trying to use Mac OS on a non-apple system - its that simple. I mean, Ive learnt **** loads trying to get this thing to run and now that its running perfect (except for my Audigy 4) Im happy and I enjoy the process of setting the thing up.

I have an AMD system as my PC, and would rather just stick with Linux, it would run faster and be easy to get working that Leopard on the same HW, but if I had a laptop generica, with a C2D and GMA x3100, than I would dual/triple boot, as it would be similar to setting up a MB.

My osx86 system - "it just works".. honestly i've spent so much time reinstalling, adding drivers and kexts and whatnot that i've learned a lot more than i would have if i bought a mac. Now some would call this a headache but i just find it a learning experience where i become more familiar with the OS itself. There's plenty of information and resources out there as well as development that people just need to spend some quality time searching to come up with decent installs. Just my 2 cents..

I would have to say that I don't even like Mac OS that much, so I really think Apple is stopping me from installing Linux on my Mac (I can never get it to boot off of the DVD), while Apple seems to be allowing people to install Mac OS on PCs. Sad, right?

No. The reason why I say no is because OSx86 has such little hardware support that it is almost impossible to use.

I would have to say that I don't even like Mac OS that much, so I really think Apple is stopping me from installing Linux on my Mac (I can never get it to boot off of the DVD), while Apple seems to be allowing people to install Mac OS on PCs. Sad, right?

No. The reason why I say no is because OSx86 has such little hardware support that it is almost impossible to use.

Ubuntu, Linux Mint, Debian, SuSE and Red Hat have all been on my MacBook at one point and all work perfectly...

OS X is a very nice OS. But to me so is Vista. I like them both and have used them both on my dell laptop. Installation of OS X was easy and worked fairly well besides a few non working things that were fixed right away with some work.

If people want to install OS X on their non apple hardware the WORST it's going to do is get a person to want to buy a mac or learn how to use OS X and want to use it in the future.

It's the same thing as letting college students get software for deals. They learn how to use it and then become professionals using it and that generates money for these software companies.

**posted from OS X on a dell laptop that works just fine**

Ubuntu, Linux Mint, Debian, SuSE and Red Hat have all been on my MacBook at one point and all work perfectly...

I tried Fedora 9 - it didn't work.

osx86 is not "nearly impossible" to use - not even close. There are numerous people who have decent, and some perfect installs of OSX on x86 hardware that the community has pushed further to developing for the implementation of mac os on pc's. I run my hackbook day in day out no problems whatsoever, clearly this project is a reality for many people.

i would buy a regular tower (at a reasonable price) from apple any day (the Mac Pro is a WORKSTATION not a regular pc)

God, what is it with people and their phallic fetish with tower computers.

Get an iMac and be happy. God knows I can't think of a single situation where I have recycled my screen over several computers given that all computers in New Zealand come by default with screens included.

I don't see nothing wrong installing OSX86 on a pc. It's just running better!!! Installed it on a HP d530 with 1.5 GB RAM and it runs incredibly better than when it was a Windows rig. Aplle should make OSX compatible with AMD and Intel pc, so people have a real choice between os on their machine. Let's break Microsoft monopoly on everyday users os !

God, what is it with people and their phallic fetish with tower computers.

Get an iMac and be happy. God knows I can't think of a single situation where I have recycled my screen over several computers given that all computers in New Zealand come by default with screens included.

Perhaps people don't like AIOs? Just maybe?

I prefer everything separate, as one of the other will get replaced - either the bulbs burn out in the LCD, or I end up getting a new mobo, etc, but keep the case, HDs and DVD burners. Plus, I already have the same type of 20" TN panel that the low-end iMac uses, when it dies, technology will improve again, and the next LCD I buy will look even better, and maybe then I'll a reasonably priced one that has a viewing angle that can rival my old 17" CRT.

Perhaps people don't like AIOs? Just maybe?

I prefer everything separate, as one of the other will get replaced - either the bulbs burn out in the LCD, or I end up getting a new mobo, etc, but keep the case, HDs and DVD burners. Plus, I already have the same type of 20" TN panel that the low-end iMac uses, when it dies, technology will improve again, and the next LCD I buy will look even better, and maybe then I'll a reasonably priced one that has a viewing angle that can rival my old 17" CRT.

If they ever go for a desktop, I'd love to see a Pizzabox size version, something along the lines of the old SGI Indy would be great :D A variation this would be good:

O2.jpg

I'd love to see a Pizzabox size version, something along the lines of the old SGI Indy would be great

I used to own an SGI Indy (and an SGI Indigo 2) - the Indigo 2 was too large, but the Indy was a superb design. Funky design, nice clean front with volume controls and space inside for a couple of drives and expansion. Would be a nice project to put a modern computer system inside an Indy case actually - they're cheap enough on eBay these days :)

I don't think people that end up putting OS X on non-Apple hardware are going to blame the OS if it performs strangely or crashes. They know what they are getting into.

Now if only Apple would release an xMac. :/

If they ever go for a desktop, I'd love to see a Pizzabox size version, something along the lines of the old SGI Indy would be great :D A variation this would be good:

O2.jpg

I miss those old SGI boxes - cobalt and purple just stood out so well, and different enough, that you could tell it wasn't a Mac or PC. (and I'm becoming very bored with Apple's designs, they're the "new beige". Aluminum and white are overdone, try something new please).

I miss those old SGI boxes - cobalt and purple just stood out so well, and different enough, that you could tell it wasn't a Mac or PC. (and I'm becoming very bored with Apple's designs, they're the "new beige". Aluminum and white are overdone, try something new please).

How about this one; now this would be an awesome case :) :

tezro_combo_jpg.jpg

TBH i think they are quite content with the way it works now and so is everyone else apart from windows users who want to use the OS on their hardware...

This.

Apple's current strategy is very successful. Apple's advantage is that it's in a strong #2 spot behind MS in terms of numbers.

Marketshare is less important than a strong and loyal user base. It's all about how you can best serve your chosen demographic and keep that demographic healthy by pulling in x amount of new users.

This.

Apple's current strategy is very successful. Apple's advantage is that it's in a strong #2 spot behind MS in terms of numbers.

Marketshare is less important than a strong and loyal user base. It's all about how you can best serve your chosen demographic and keep that demographic healthy by pulling in x amount of new users.

True, or more correctly, a sizeable user base that actually pays for their software.

Not to say that there isn't Mac piracy, but the amount is far less than that of Windows.