[OSx86] I Hope Apple stops these OSX86 installs

your right it is none of my buisness what they do with their system, but it IS my buisness if the result in that is Apple Hardware Sales gets lower where Apple is no longer able to update the systems as much, or bring out new toys because they are suddenly slouching in the Sales/Income dept. because people would rather run a hackentosh then a full fledged Mac

The Mac is not fledgling. Indeed, far from it. Apple continues to sell more systems each quarter than the previous one.

Apple bundles OSX with each computer and Price's OSX at $130 bucks, they make money off the systems, that people wont be buying by running a hackintosh

if people want to try play with OSX,, thats what the computers in an Apple store are for, where they can use OSX like its supposed to.

and you mean that if somebody builds a hackintosh out of their windows box, their going to go out and get ANOTHER computer even though the one they already got runs fine that only cost them max $130 ( the cost of OSX ),, it wont be the norm

You are making some false assumptions here. First, not everyone lives near an Apple store to try OS X out. Also, there is a lot that some would like to do that you simply can't in an Apple store.

Secondly, you are assuming that hackintosh systems run just excellent. That is far from the truth. A Hackintosh is just that: a Hackintosh. Very few people actually use Hackintoshes as primary systems. They are usually just used for "look what I can do" antics. Driver support on the Hackintosh is very lousy. As a result, there is poor stability which further reduce their functionality. The drivers they lack can be essential to having a good experience. In my case, for example, I cannot get my network card to work. As a matter of fact, nobody with a Gigabyte GA-M55SLI-S4 motherboard (my board) is able to get the internal nforce4 lan to work properly - even with the latest hacked forcedeth drivers. That's just one example. I could go on about how my display drivers are wonky where it has lousy performance doing Expose, working with Spaces, and bringing up the Dashboard.

You then can't even do upgrades without the risk of breaking your installation. Apple really has the upper edge here, as they specifically reduce the hardware compatibility of the OS. This will only continue to happen as Apple progresses with OS X's development.

And then, of course, very few people are actually installing OS X on their PC's. So really, Apple isn't hurting too badly (or at all) from it.

Personally I think OSX86 is awesome. I love the fact that my computer right now is tri-booting Vista, XP and OS X. It's amazing to me that this kind of thing is possible. Like others have said, I don't think that OSX86 is really going to hurt the Mac community. The amount of people that are actually trying to do this are very small...

And as for having sub-forums for OSX86 vs. OS X, if Neowin is willing to support this type of thing I think it would be a good idea...

By the way I am posting this from a Hackintosh, and it's running very well...

did Apple Put the thing together / somebody bought it from apple ?

I'm seriously wondering:

do you people have the same issues with people who run Leopard on their G4s that are slower than 867 MHz?

Apple did indeed put it together.

But to get it running you have to change stuff, and you won't have any support (basically, it's like an OSx86, just a different processor and case)

So, because VERY FEW people who make their system into a hackintosh bitch about OS X, that means you hope Apple stops the OSX86 project? Personally, I wish MS would stop PC manufacturers from preloading their systems with tons of craplets and bloatware. That makes way more sense than the previous argument.

People should be able to install whatever software they want on their system. Frankly, it is none of your business as to what a person does to their system.

Some users have mentioned that Apple should do a WGA type of system. WGA on windows completely sucks. It just doesn't work. Not only that, but OS X really doesn't use a serial key. You just install the OS, and for the registration part, you can put in a bunch of BS and skip it. You don't need to connect to the web or call any number to get it activated. Once it's installed, it's good to go. This is very beneficial to the Mac userbase, and removes a lot of headaches from Mac users.

If anything, Apple is very appreciative of the OSX86 project. Really, few OSX86 installs are meant for permanent usage. They are mostly used for experimentation and "look what I can do" antics. It's essentially free advertisement for Apple (or free money if the user actually buys the software).

Look at it like this: By installing OS X, you are showing interest in the product. You get to install it, but it doesn't work all that great because of hardware problems. You know that it's not working properly because it's all hacked up, however, you see what the OS can do, and you become more intrigued by it. You eventually give up, but the seed is planted. The next time you want to buy another computer, that seed begins to grow. You ponder to yourself "should I get a mac or a PC?...Well, I could always use Windows on a Mac if I don't like OS X..." Next thing you know, you're in an Apple store buying a Mac. It's a massive Win for Apple.

+1

Were to start I Don't Know were most of you people Have Bin But OSX86 has Bin Around Since 2005 10.4.1

Apple Developer Platform

Inside (Intel D915GUXLK)

AppleDevkit.jpg

Were to start I Don't Know were most of you people Have Bin But OSX86 has Bin Around Since 2005 10.4.1

Apple Developer Platform

Inside (Intel D915GUXLK)

I had one of those at my desk, those things were very cool back in the day. ;)

I had one of those at my desk, those things were very cool back in the day. ;)

rofl used those last gen Pentium 4s

Cedar Mill. I actually built a machine w/ that model

its not the fact that you have to modify it to get it to run, its the fact that its not on apple hardware like it should be is why i strongly dont agree or like OSX86

OSx on a G3-4-? is still apple harware

like taking a Shelby AC Cobra, and putting a Toyota engine in it and still calling it a Shelby AC and acting like its still a Cobra when its just sacrilege.

Apple did indeed put it together.

But to get it running you have to change stuff, and you won't have any support (basically, it's like an OSx86, just a different processor and case)

its not the fact that you have to modify it to get it to run, its the fact that its not on apple hardware like it should be is why i strongly dont agree or like OSX86

like taking a Shelby AC Cobra, and putting a Toyota engine in it and still calling it a Shelby AC and acting like its still a Cobra when its just sacrilege.

wow. :s

Actually it's more like taking a Toyota and putting the motor from the Cobra in it. It doesn't look as good but it still runs well.

You take hardware that might not look as pretty and are putting the software on it.

lol...

wow. :s

haha...

The more I read these the more they follow the same old tired argumentation that every pirate and warez kid repeats on PB or one of the Nova sites:

"I can't afford so it's ok for me to pirate it!"

"I'm just testing, it's not my main platform it's ok for me to pirate it!"

"It doesn't support my hardware it's ok for me to warez it!"

At least you could pretend to be men and just admit you're warezing it because you're too cheap to buy instead of coming up with your lame excuses how Apple is evil, they're trying to force feed you their "overpriced hardware" or how the law in this case twists things in your view.

I especially find the "only a handful".. Just because a small group of people does it doesn't make it acceptable.

question: and this relates to daPhoenix's whinge

If you have Mac OS X Leopard and its not installed on a Mac and you DL a custom/patched version of Leopard. Is that illegal? I mean you have the license for it, so isn't it essentially a back up.

As you can see I dont particually care because I have a decent Mac so I really don't need to do this (OSx86) but other people probably would like to know I'm sure.

If you have Mac OS X Leopard and its not installed on a Mac and you DL a custom/patched version of Leopard. Is that illegal? I mean you have the license for it, so isn't it essentially a back up

Since patching the OS is a violation of DMCA (and the respective laws of many other countries - including mine) then it would be illegal.

As for the "if I download it.." is a flawed argument when presented in this context because the original discs have no copy protection so you can freely take backups of the original media without any issues. If you do not have a burner in the the first place, the downloaded media would have no value - as backups either.

Since patching the OS is a violation of DMCA (and the respective laws of many other countries - including mine) then it would be illegal.

As for the "if I download it.." is a flawed argument when presented in this context because the original discs have no copy protection so you can freely take backups of the original media without any issues. If you do not have a burner in the the first place, the downloaded media would have no value - as backups either.

The second part makes no difference if its burnt or not, its still a backup and the copy protection is also non of our problem either.

I'm saying legally its a back up in my eyes if its not patched, and if it is them some country's are fine with that?

I'm saying legally its a back up in my eyes if its not patched, and if it is them some country's are fine with that?

So now we come to the "I'm only downloading it off Piratebay / Nova because I want to make a backup".

Never heard that one before.

More like taking a Ford Mustang, tweaking it and then calling it Shelby GT500 and enjoying. :)

So now we come to the "I'm only downloading it off Piratebay / Nova because I want to make a backup".

Never heard that one before.

That's actually valid, since it doesn't specify how you obtain this copy. You can "make a copy" by downloading one.

That's actually valid, since it doesn't specify how you obtain this copy. You can "make a copy" by downloading one.

Semantics - anyone claiming the majority of people are downloading things off the net "just to make backups" is just.. well, let's not go there.

I'm sure the 500+ people on PB currently hosting "Kalyway" are just doing it for backup purposes.

But what IS "patching the OS"? Most of the modifications needed to run osx on a PC have to do with the thing communicating to the hardware, that is, on the driver level. I think that you can even install the 'unmodified' thing, if you install EFI on your PC (for which there are specifications available). You'd still need an already working OS X install, but I think this "bridge" installation can be done from an actual mac computer (to an external disc), and then use it from the PC in which we want to install the vanilla OS X.

So it can be done without actually "Modifying" stuff, except kernel extensions and so on, but this things are called "drivers", and if that's illegal, then we're all criminals. You are not "modifying" the OS if the OS is behaving like it should, that is, a modularized UNIX system. On that level I don't think apple holds the intellectual property, since it's all BSD.