[OSx86] I Hope Apple stops these OSX86 installs

And it would only affect pirates, licence users running it on a normal PC would be fine.

Pirates NEVER get stopped by DRM. They circumvent it and continue to use the product. WGA in Windows is essentially a failure. Anyone who wants to get a pirated copy of Windows working can VERY easily. The tools are readily available.

There has, however, been perfectly legitimate users who have been locked out of their systems for Windows being accidentally flagged as a pirated copy.

I am an ex OS X86 user.. and I must say... Get a Mac, if you really want to experience OS X for what it is.

hahaha

i was just testing the water guys btw

and the DRM that i am talking about is the one that prevent OSX installation on pcs ! just for reminder :p

OSX running "legally" on PCs is the only way Apple could ever reach a market share comparable with MS. (unless we wait the next 15years, then who knows..).

Unfortunately supporting the whole lot of PC hardware that is out there would require lots of money which at the moment they dont have.. maybe after the new iPhone launch :)

Hrm, please explain this one...

Apple:

Intel Processors

Intel Designed Logic Boards

10/100/1000 Ethernet (RJ-45)

802.11 a/b/g/N Wireless

DDR2 Memory

SATA Hard Drives

SATA Optical Drives

USB 2.0

FireWire 400

FireWire 800

Failing to see proprietary here...

Than, how come I can't run OSX on a PC?

OSX running "legally" on PCs is the only way Apple could ever reach a market share comparable with MS. (unless we wait the next 15years, then who knows..).

Unfortunately supporting the whole lot of PC hardware that is out there would require lots of money which at the moment they dont have.. maybe after the new iPhone launch :)

it is not the case

they need to do to three things

1- talk to OEM to create driver for OS X for there device

2- turnoff DRM or what ever they call it on OS X discs and bundle the driver for the pc devices

Apple's decision to not release their operating system for beige-box machines, has absolutely nothing to do with hardware.

Why support 10,000,000 configurations badly, or rely on 3rd parties to do it for you (We all know how well they write drivers for Windows), when you can just support your own designs that you know will work 99% of the time flawlessly.

Don't say Market-share either since Apple is increasing their market-share faster than any other PC manufacturer in the world. :)

Don't say Market-share either since Apple is increasing their market-share faster than any other PC manufacturer in the world. :)

You know that's a load of BS. Apple has the smallest market share of all the major computer companies. Dell, for example, is significantly larger. It's MUCH easier for a smaller company to grow market share percentage, than for a larger company to. Due to the size of those companies (Dell, HP, Acer, Lenovo, etc.), and the current market saturation of their products, it's impossible from them to grow at the percentage of Apple's systems. Actually, Dell, for example, just by growing 1 or 2% means that they are selling way more systems (and growing their userbase more) than Apple is growing at 5%.

Yes, Apple is growing, but they aren't putting dents into anyone's car.

Edited by Mikee99

Apple's decision to not release their operating system for beige-box machines, has absolutely nothing to do with hardware.

Why support 10,000,000 configurations badly, or rely on 3rd parties to do it for you (We all know how well they write drivers for Windows), when you can just support your own designs that you know will work 99% of the time flawlessly.

That's because Apple are the new "in" thing and have been for the last few years. They are a reletively small company when compared to some major manufacturers, thus their growth % in market share will be larger than those bigger companies.

When I first had a Mac I was in the minority, most people bought and used PC's. I strongly disagree with your quote about drivers though, I'm running Windows XP and all my drivers are fine, I don't get blue screens and I don't get any slowdowns, Manufacturers have been slow releasing drivers for some of their stuff on Vista.

Mac's are nice but very expensive for what you get, plus once they decide to release a new model of iMac/Macbook your old model doesn't look so stylish.

Yes, Apple is growing, but they aren't putting dents into anyone's car.

I'm sure IBM/HP/Packard Bell said that about Dell back in the day... ;)

That is a horrible comparison, seeing as Dell has always had extremely cheap systems to offer, while Apple does not.

That is a horrible comparison, seeing as Dell has always had extremely cheap systems to offer, while Apple does not.

I don't know, I still remember some of the older Dell Systems being quite pricy. We're talking back during the days of the old Dell Beigebox machines. ;)

But the only reason Dell got so big was because of the lower-cost machines. No computer company is going to get a large market share from having only high-end systems. I'm not disputing the fact that Apple machines are worth the cost, as I believe they are, but they are only on the higher end of the scale. The Mac Mini is a nice effort, but people can get a full system (tower, monitor, printer) from HP, Dell, etc., for the same or less than that. If Apple wants greater market share, they have to appeal to a greater market, especially with the current economic climate.

But the only reason Dell got so big was because of the lower-cost machines. No computer company is going to get a large market share from having only high-end systems. I'm not disputing the fact that Apple machines are worth the cost, as I believe they are, but they are only on the higher end of the scale. The Mac Mini is a nice effort, but people can get a full system (tower, monitor, printer) from HP, Dell, etc., for the same or less than that. If Apple wants greater market share, they have to appeal to a greater market, especially with the current economic climate.

That is how Linux is undercutting the big iron unix systems like HP-UX, AIX and IRIX. Linux is a commodity OS that has a huge cost advantage over the systems it replaces (though Linux is prohibitively expensive if you "get the facts" from Microsoft). :p

But being able to do the job at a lower cost is a huge advantage to business.

i would buy a regular tower (at a reasonable price) from apple any day (the Mac Pro is a WORKSTATION not a regular pc)

So would I. :)

Because Mac's use newer EFI where Majority of PC's use the Older Legacy BIOS

EFI ( Wikipedia )

in response to the dell having cheap systems ( $$ wise ) Apple has their Mini's ( imho iv repaired those Origami POS's, my opinion on the Mini's are not enough cooling for a system with its components) and shouldn't need carpentry tools to open one up ( Putty Knife ).

Edited by Hell-In-A-Handbasket

I'm sure IBM/HP/Packard Bell said that about Dell back in the day... ;)

Dell is not Apple. Dell sells 40+ Million systems. Apple sells around 5 Million. Unless Apple changes their business strategy and actually starts to offer low-end/low price systems (Mac mini does not count), Apple will NEVER be a massive player. They are an important company, yes, but they have a long way to go before really hurting the major PC players.

People that are installing OSX on unsupported platforms are going to have alot of issues, then turn around and blame the OS

i can see alot of " OSX sux because it keeps crashing on my AMD64 w/512 DDR "

only saying this because there are already what 3 or 4 threads of people not beign able to get stuff installed properly or askign how to work the OSX86 project ( even though there are probably tutorials on the site

i installed osx on my pc before and it worked almost out of the box sort of speak. i had to install a few modded drivers but other than that it ran fine. didn't last long though as i found myself not using it after awhile so i formatted.

because i think they have gone elsewhere for help, read in a couple threads in relation to it

Well, it's been over a month since Neowin allowed OSx86 threads and the apocalypse hasn't happened...

Yeah...

I hope OS X gets properly ported by Apple for generic systems. I wouldn't be surprised if software actually increase mac hardware sales in the long run. And everyone else would be happy. It would definitely boost sales.

to be honest I think they should sell off their hardware product line of computers and go generic and have computers that say, like windows, this computer is compatible with Mac OS X leopard or tiger and what not. Some of the applications that apple come up with are awesome and some of the web apps are awesome aswell, this would then make them more competitive in the market.

Things like:

Better Server support and features

webapps like google (which would then be able to advertise like google and make a heap of money)

Better device interaction (eg. phones, and other hardware)

Webapps are the way of the future I believe, apple have even said this themselves!

TBH i think they are quite content with the way it works now and so is everyone else apart from windows users who want to use the OS on their hardware...

Dell is not Apple. Dell sells 40+ Million systems. Apple sells around 5 Million. Unless Apple changes their business strategy and actually starts to offer low-end/low price systems (Mac mini does not count), Apple will NEVER be a massive player. They are an important company, yes, but they have a long way to go before really hurting the major PC players.

I do promise to quote you on this one day. ;)

Well, it's been over a month since Neowin allowed OSx86 threads and the apocalypse hasn't happened...

I know, yet this thread WON'T DIE! ;)

Yeah...

I hope OS X gets properly ported by Apple for generic systems. I wouldn't be surprised if software actually increase mac hardware sales in the long run. And everyone else would be happy. It would definitely boost sales.

to be honest I think they should sell off their hardware product line of computers and go generic and have computers that say, like windows, this computer is compatible with Mac OS X leopard or tiger and what not. Some of the applications that apple come up with are awesome and some of the web apps are awesome aswell, this would then make them more competitive in the market.

Things like:

Better Server support and features

webapps like google (which would then be able to advertise like google and make a heap of money)

Better device interaction (eg. phones, and other hardware)

Webapps are the way of the future I believe, apple have even said this themselves!

Won't happen, wouldn't boost sales... Check a look at Apple's sales sheets, do the rough math conversion on the sale of 10,000 MacBooks and 5,000 Retail Copies of Mac OS X and then on 20,000 copies of Mac OS X only. Apple makes more money on it's hardware than it could make on software sales alone. Windows honestly has a strangle hold on the market, even if Apple went beige-box sales the adoption rate wouldn't be noticeable enough among average users to make up the difference in sales losses.

TBH i think they are quite content with the way it works now and so is everyone else apart from windows users who want to use the OS on their hardware...

+∞