• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

[OSx86] I Hope Apple stops these OSX86 installs

Hell-In-A-Handbasket    277

People that are installing OSX on unsupported platforms are going to have alot of issues, then turn around and blame the OS

i can see alot of " OSX sux because it keeps crashing on my AMD64 w/512 DDR "

only saying this because there are already what 3 or 4 threads of people not beign able to get stuff installed properly or askign how to work the OSX86 project ( even though there are probably tutorials on the site

DrewJW    9

As it is illegal, I am amazed such sites even exist without gaining the attention of Apple's lawyers.

Knife Party    629
People that are installing OSX on unsupported platforms are going to have alot of issues, then turn around and blame the OS

only saying this because there are already what 3 or 4 threads of people not beign able to get stuff installed properly or askign how to work the OSX86 project ( even though there are probably tutorials on the site

fully agree with you there, leave OSX on Apple hardware people

DrewJW    9

I think people have a right though to give their views, Apple software is made by Apple for Apple hardware and putting it on randomly configured computers is a sure recipe for disaster.

Knife Party    629

yes im fully aware of that thread and still won't condone to individuals who seek to force OSX to work on non-Apple Hardware.

get a bloody mac or stay away from OSX, the EULA is set in place for specific reasons.

The.Clinton    2

yeah, just look at the configuration issues and driver issues that can happen on a windows machine because its been designed to support so many things....

Lee G.    234
yes im fully aware of that thread and still won't condone to individuals who seek to force OSX to work on non-Apple Hardware.

get a bloody mac or stay away from OSX, the EULA is set in place for specific reasons.

Yeah, I have to agree here, but I can see why Neowin would permit this discussion. I don't know if I'm the only one, but all this OSx86 discussion is really making me want to save up my money for a Mac :laugh:

Windam    0

geh after I build my rig I'm opting for a Macbook Pro

I tried this OSx86 mess and I've had no success. It's just not worth the attention.

Admodieus    4

So you mean people will realize why Macs "just work" and why Windows Vista is "the devil" - that Apple completely controls the hardware that it allows its OS to run on?

Don't see the problem.

Knife Party    629

thats it, im running OSX on my PSP :laugh:

0sit0    181

yep... the only way Apple could stop this from happening now is if they actually make their own hardware instead of using PCs ;)

this is humanity, they wont see that, they will blame the OS because " Windows works on it, why cant OSX"

So you mean people will realize why Macs "just work" and why Windows Vista is "the devil" - that Apple completely controls the hardware that it allows its OS to run on?

Don't see the problem.

gnuman    14

I don't know why you people are crying about other people running hackintosh. Maybe the PC people should cry that you can run Windows on your Mac.

As always a one sided argument. Then again look at your history as Mac OS was based off of FreeBSD which is X86 Apple designed the GUI and modified an open source OS to get its product so stop the ignorance and I don't even run a hackintosh.

Harsesis    2

If people want to install osx on thier pcs... why not... I think its interesting! Certainly poses a challenge and teaches you a lot along the way.

Don't think people with macs should whine about it. Let people use it... if they like the OS enough they'll move to apple.. theres only so many patches and stuff u can run before you get fed up and just move onto the real thing.

I've used osx86 before and now i'm using a macbook (no way or form am I a switcher or a mac head eww)... I think it only helps apple...!

BajiRav    2,137

why? I don't see any reason to oppose other than "now everyone can run OSX and don't have to be able to afford a mac"

betasp    56

I run OSX on a PC for fun off of a USB hard drive. It is fun to poke around in (and I own a Macbook and Powerbook). If you don't want to see the threads, though, encourage people not to reply.

Mathachew    149

Realize that Apple is helpless in stopping people. I don't condone piracy, but it's not as if it will suddenly stop because of a company.

Lee G.    234
If people want to install osx on thier pcs... why not... I think its interesting! Certainly poses a challenge and teaches you a lot along the way.

Don't think people with macs should whine about it. Let people use it... if they like the OS enough they'll move to apple.. theres only so many patches and stuff u can run before you get fed up and just move onto the real thing.

I've used osx86 before and now i'm using a macbook (no way or form am I a switcher or a mac head eww)... I think it only helps apple...!

That's true. OSx86 is by no means usable on a permanent basis, and it is perhaps fair to say that it has and will encourage people to buy the genuine article.

funciona    0
As it is illegal, I am amazed such sites even exist without gaining the attention of Apple's lawyers.

It is not illegal; Thats why these sites exist and Apple's lawyers can't do ****.

Put a sock in it...

as far as its legalese, i dont think any EULA has ever held up in court

Miuku.    364

I suggest a much more drastic measure - take the TPM chip that is being used in every Mac into good use - when a pirated copy is detected, format all the drives.

**** the pirates.

that wouldnt do anything, its not OSX beign pirated, how its done is the OSX86 emulates EFI ( my understanding ) and fools OSX into thinking the installed hardware is a legit Mac

I suggest a much more drastic measure - take the TPM chip that is being used in every Mac into good use - when a pirated copy is detected, format all the drives.

**** the pirates.

Miuku.    364

Then simply move into the Windows style online activation - since every Mac has a distinct serial number making a database should be a trivial task. then the little pirates could no longer hide behind the "EULA" as they would be forced to reverse engineer and patch the activation system.

I find it humorous how people come and tell me "Yeah I run hackintosh i bought leopard yayayaya" only to see them brag on another thread how they warezed it from Mininova or Piratebay. Yeah I bet you guys all bought it. I believe that, completely. I bet you also have 5 macbook pros and a few mac pros at your desk, you're just running hackintosh "for fun".

i just realized i spelled the thread title wrong :(