What's Wrong With This Logo?

post-21616-1213189482.jpg

From Gawker:

One of Apple's greatest strengths has always been the clean design and memorable branding of its products. Which makes this logo for its new MobileMe internet service all the more surprising. Why? Because it looks like a Windows knockoff, and it sucks, frankly. Rod Townsend, who wonders if this is "the worst logo in the history of Mac," has a few thoughts: It "Looks like a poor cousin of the Intel logo." It "Needs to cut down on the carbs." It "Looks like something Cindy McCain would hang in a child's nursery." Hey, we can play too! Apple's new MobileMe logo:

* Is being chased by Bubble Boy

* Should be on a package of Japanese soap. Cheap Japanese soap.

* Looks like the nameplate on a friendly child robot.

* Would make a poor tattoo.

* Would be removed, if it was in sticker form.

* Would work better on a line of female-targeted snowblowers.

* Secretly sniffs glue.

We really expect more from your genius branding people, Steve Jobs.

(You all can play, too!)

More Here:

The MobileMe logo:

- Looks like a poor cousin of the Intel logo.

- Looks like it should have special pricing for a Wal-Mart "Rainy Day Sale".

- Makes me think of tampons maxi-pads.

- Could be a Shmoo, about to hug you but unable, as it has been blinded.

- Uses bi-tonal blues that look nonrelative to me.

- Looks like something Cindy McCain would hang in a child's nursery.

- Is a cloud, which is more toilet paper-y than computer-y.

- Is a cloud, which brings rain and lightning and which obscures the sun.

- Is probably something White People will like.

- Is androgynous.

- Needs to cut down on the carbs.

- Uses a script "me" in a flirty kind of way, like how Cosmo claims to be flirty, but is actually ######-y.

- Looks like it probably has a theme song by The Postal Service.

Also it was pointed out that it looks similar to another logo... :whistle:

post-21616-1213189580.jpg

So, thoughts? How do you all like this new logo... does it scream "Mac" to you?

I have to agree, the logo is not as good as we're used to from Applel. They are teasing us, a new one is coming. :o

didn't really mind the logo, and as someone else has pointed out, mobile me is exchange for everyone type product so it does convey an ease of use product.

I personally see nothing wrong with it, looks fine to me. I don't know why everyone would get so worked up over .. a logo?

Because a logo represent the branding of a product?

I could care less. It's certainly not their best but it's far from "horrible"--it's easy and seems "fun". The actual product itself though looks fantastic.

I don't mind it, the logo seems to reflect the way that you can personalize the service and how it keeps you in touch with all of your information (push email, contacts, etc.)

I don't mind it, the logo seems to reflect the way that you can personalize the service and how it keeps you in touch with all of your information (push email, contacts, etc.)

We're not discussing the service, which is great by the way. :wub:

I personally see nothing wrong with it, looks fine to me. I don't know why everyone would get so worked up over .. a logo?
It looks perfectly fine to me?...
Who cares :/ its a logo for a product from apple, will it be representative of the product....no....so who cares :) lol

Exactly...I dont understand why everyone says its a bad logo. Do one better!

I never liked the .Mac logo. And I don't care about this one ^_^

Edit : I have to admit though that for a Mac owner who says MS always copies Apple, just because the "me" looks way to much like the Windows me logo, they badly need to change it before July 11th.

Edited by PsykX

The discussion regarding this logo has extended far beyond the public sector. ;)

In my opinion, it is one of the poorest excuses for an Apple logo ever designed. There is already a campaign internally to design alternative icons to use once it releases. ;)

I could care less. It's certainly not their best but it's far from "horrible"--it's easy and seems "fun". The actual product itself though looks fantastic.

I'm with ya man, the new services look amazing, especially the web apps. As far as the logo itself I kind of like it, seems playful and fun like giga said. Plus I like the clouds and the color of blue. Btw anyone know what font that is? for "me" looks like Lucida Handwriting but not quite.