Are You Afraid To Die?

407 members have voted

1. 1. Are You Afraid To Die?

• Yes
    • No

• 1 month later...

I've had a couple of near death experiences.. but I'm not afraid for me.. when I think of my gf and parents and my family and how I'd feel if I lost any of them and they'd feel same if they lost me.. then it scares the **** out of me.. dont want them to feel that..

Everyone is afraid of dying, it's a natural instinct, self preservation.

Anyone who says they aren't, will only say that when they're safe from any danger, or has something wrong with them.

Yeah, I am a bit. Not being religious, it does leave one to ponder over what may really happen in their darker moments.

Yeah, in a way. I'm just scared of dying at a young age :/ I would like to put the education I've worked so hard for to use and attempt to raise a family first.

Oh, and I sometimes get jealous when I think of all the technology I'll miss out on after I die :p

• 2 weeks later...

mines a 50/50 but the good thing is when i do go all my secrets will go down with me and there would be no trace of them anywhere at times i am afraid to die but at times i am not.

The biggest thing I fear about death is not being able to say bye to those that I love. I don't think that I could deal with that tbh.

Not afraid to die per se, but it would suck to realize just before dying that there are lots of things you would have liked to do.

That's why I find spending the major part of my life working and sleeping to be utterly annoying :p

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

No I am not

once you stop and think about how no matter what happens you are going to die. you tend to no longer be scared

maybe scared of the way it will happen. but not death its self. because no matter what, it happens

I'm not afraid of death when I'm old, after I've done everything.

I'd hate to die prematurely regretting of something unaccomplished.

The question can be interpreted in two ways: do you experience fear when presented with sudden, unexpected high chance of death, such as having a car accident or a gun pointed at you? Or do you experience fear just thinking about your inevitable death in everyday life?

If my life is in imminent danger then I can't help but do everything possible to get out of that situation. Everybody runs from death with fear in their eyes, I'm no exception. As someone said before, that's just instinct.

I'm not scared of dying per say. I'm quite curious to discover if anything awaits me after, but I've grown quite skeptical of that possibility. After death, I'll be exactly like before I was born, that is, there will be no "I".

I'm not really scared of disease or suffering. I don't wish for that, but suffering is not eternal.

What scares me is the question of the meaning of my present existence, in regards to death. I feel like I'm just a biological machine following its program with very little if any actual choice, and that everything I do or think is ultimately pointless. Everything could just as well not exist at all and, save for that brief window of time where I'm there to see it, it would sum up to the same : zero. At best, I can bring joy to myself, my family and friends, and leave a useful heritage to my society. But why should I even care if after death it'll be, for me, as if I had never existed? On a side note, I strongly doubt humanity is there to last indefinitely, we should be gone pretty soon.

Death means I'm just trying to waste time here as pleasantly as possible. And that's the scariest thought I ever had.

I wouldn't feel fear. I would feel very angry at my one chance of experiencing the universe as an intelligent creature only to pass on to being a bunch of molecules and atoms incapable of "intelligent thoughts". There's nothing to die for in this world. There is everything to live for.

"You shouldn't be scared. It's exactly the same as going to sleep."

That's the way I think of it. It's like that time period between getting into bed and actually falling asleep - you just don't know the point at which you fell asleep.

I believe that all of us are afraid of death. It's just that we are not faced with it yet so it's a bit easier to say we are not afraid of it. It's been the same with all of my grandparents. My grandmother who was hospitalized a decade ago would always say she was afraid to die and my grandfather who passed away not too long ago mentioned it too. Now dying in your sleep... that's something you can't be afraid of, but when you're faced with death (e.g. being terminally ill / knowing that time is not too long down the road due to current conditions), I would say it's hard not to be afraid.

Edited by StormX2

I'm not afraid of actually dying, it's the how and when that scares me! Life has too much to offer in just one's lifetime (would love to see how technology evolves beyond our lifetimes)