PS3 Update 2.4 Out Now! - Tutorial videos Inside

Then leave both 720 and 1080 ticked and let the game decide what res is best? You really don't get it do you? Playing a game in a res that isn't native won't improve anything!

If anything it will make it worse as it has to upscale the resolution even more, you will see more defects like bad textures and stuff.

Then leave both 720 and 1080 ticked and let the game decide what res is best? You really don't get it do you? Playing a game in a res that isn't native won't improve anything!

it does.

ever played cod4 at 1080p? the colors are better and for me its a better gameplay.

it does.

ever played cod4 at 1080p? the colors are better and for me its a better gameplay.

What? COD4 was 600p not 1080p so although you could set the game at 1080p within the system settings, it would more or less be upscaled and like what popisdead uk said, would result in lower textures in some way since it is being stretched.

it does.

Seriously now, stop talking rubbish. It will not produce a better picture or colours.

*where is that ignore button??*

And you only get some different colours?! Most TV's today have like a billion colour options, just set it there?

Plus, changing resolution wouldn't normally do anything for the colours, that's an upscaler 'feature' then.

What? COD4 was 600p not 1080p so although you could set the game at 1080p within the system settings, it would more or less be upscaled and like what popisdead uk said, would result in lower textures in some way since it is being stretched.

i m not talking about the technique.

i am just saying

Just saying that i preffer playing it with 1080p checked on visual settings and uncheck 720p...

and i wish i could change it in game so that i dont have to quit everytime i forget.

i am not saying 1080p is superior to 720p.. just saying I PREFER PLAYING GAMES 1080p instead of 720p

*where is that ignore button??*

my world will surely change in a horrible direction.

What is all this squawking?

Leave 720p and 1080p checked on your PS3 and games will choose what resolution to run in based on how they were made/what they support.

If you have a decent TV 1080p TV it will do a far better job of upscaling the 720p image from the PS3 to fit the screen than forcing your PS3 to upscale everything to 1080p (by unchecking 720p).

I really don't understand the problem here (N)

Upscaling wont produce better colours, period, i dont know where you got that idea, maybe your TV colour is set independently of resolution.

What is all this squawking?

Leave 720p and 1080p checked on your PS3 and games will choose what resolution to run in based on how they were made/what they support.

If you have a decent TV 1080p TV it will do a far better job of upscaling the 720p image from the PS3 to fit the screen than forcing your PS3 to upscale everything to 1080p (by unchecking 720p).

I really don't understand the problem here (N)

me neither.

i am just saying i prefer 1080p over 720p and sometimes when i enter cod4 i forget to uncheck 720p and i said it would be nice to change it during a game instead of quitting the game... thats all i said..

but i guess some people want arguments all over the time.

What is wrong with what i said?

me neither.

i am just saying i prefer 1080p over 720p and sometimes when i enter cod4 i forget to uncheck 720p and i said it would be nice to change it during a game instead of quitting the game... thats all i said..

but i guess some people want arguments all over the time.

What is wrong with what i said?

Did you read what I said?

Let COD4 choose what resolution to run in itself - That's it's optimum setting.

If you start forcing things to run in 1080p you may get side effects.

As I said, if you own a decent 1080p TV it will handle upscaling a 720p feed from the PS3 to the screen far better than forcing the PS3 to do it.

I think clarkson is trying to say that he'd rather the Playstation do the scaling than the TV, as the TV scaling may not be as good.

Upscaling wont produce better colours, period, i dont know where you got that idea, maybe your TV colour is set independently of resolution.

it does in my tv though. cod4 on 1080p has better colors than 720p.

I think clarkson is trying to say that he'd rather the Playstation do the scaling than the TV, as the TV scaling may not be as good.

Only think a few hand-crafted bamboo TV's from the southern regions of Mumbai doesn't upscale better than the PS3

gracias Coldgunner.

and saying it would be nice to access it during a game instead of quitting.

finally.

i wonder if popisdeaduk is reading my posts backwards.

gracias Coldgunner.

and saying it would be nice to access it during a game instead of quitting.

finally.

i wonder if popisdeaduk is reading my posts backwards.

No one's reading anything backwards, you're just asking for the most useless addition to a console ever.

Did you read what I said?

Let COD4 choose what resolution to run in itself - That's it's optimum setting.

If you start forcing things to run in 1080p you may get side effects.

As I said, if you own a decent 1080p TV it will handle upscaling a 720p feed from the PS3 to the screen far better than forcing the PS3 to do it.

What crawled up your ass and died, he might PERSONALLY want to force CoD4 into 1080p just because you think it would be best to leave it native doesnt mean you are right and he shouldnt do it.

ok ok ok..

a RECAP :)

I, Jeremy Clarkson, love the game called COD4... The game plays at 720p in my panasonic vieja 42inch plasma. On a beautiful day i chose 1080p over 720p and i love the game more. the colors looked better in my opinion. Therefor i always play cod4 at 1080p. BUT sometimes i forget COD4 at 1080p and quit and enter another game, since i had unchecked 720p before to play the game at 1080p, the new game i put(which does not support 1080p at all) plays at 576p...

Therefor i have to quit the game and enable 720p.

or the opposite.

I enter cod4 but forget to uncheck 720p therefor game plays at the native 720p instead of my favorite 1080p. Therefor it would be nice to adjust these settings during the game instead of quitting.

this is NOT to blame fw 2.4..

since it is the best firmware update in ps3 history so far. but would be a nice addition to future firmwares.

For a moment there I thought I had gone into the wrong forum... There must be some top gear fever going around :laugh:

Anyway, I'll agree with "Jeremy" on the resolution changing. If I want to play GTA4 at 1080i I have to uncheck 720p from the settings otherwise it'll just play at 720p. But then if I put PES in (which doesn't support 1080i), because I've unchecked 720p, it'll play at 576. So it keeps me having to change settings all the time :(

I just don't understand why the PS3 doesn't always use the higher available mode, if it did that, this wouldn't be a problem at all.

What crawled up your ass and died, he might PERSONALLY want to force CoD4 into 1080p just because you think it would be best to leave it native doesnt mean you are right and he shouldnt do it.

If you have a personal reason for forcing your TV/PS3 to do something that's unnatural, then that is a joke.

I have a decent amount of experience with calibrating TVs, and I know for a fact 90% of decent TVs will do a better job than the PS3 at upscaling, UNLESS the game in question has been developed with upscaling in mind.

The PS3 does NOT have a hardware upscaler like the 360. PS3 games have to be developed with upscaling in mind (like MGS4).

Forcing the PS3 to run games in unnatural resolutions will cause artefacts/slow down and sometimes reduce quality. Other times, maybe not. However it's still best to let the game choose, and let your TV upscale if the game chooses 720p.

That is GOOD advice, so either take, it, or run away with your "personal" reasons to force the PS3 into doing something of no benefit to yourself, and sometimes an actual disadvantage to yourself.

Having an option to change during the game is still silly, ask Sony to fix this 'upscaling' problem instead, so it chooses the (in)correct resolution when starting the game.

No need to use a Hammer when you want to cook eggs.

If you have a personal reason for forcing your TV/PS3 to do something that's unnatural, then that is a joke.

I have a decent amount of experience with calibrating TVs, and I know for a fact 90% of decent TVs will do a better job than the PS3 at upscaling, UNLESS the game in question has been developed with upscaling in mind.

The PS3 does NOT have a hardware upscaler like the 360. PS3 games have to be developed with upscaling in mind (like MGS4).

How is that a joke, if he wants to force CoD4 and every other game into 1080p whats it got to do with you, being condescending and talking down to him just makes you look like the ass. Good for you, you can calibrate TVs that doesnt change the fact that he would prefer 1080p wether you think its right or not.

Everyone knows the PS3 doesnt have a hardware scaler whats that gotta do with him wanting to force things into 1080p

How is that a joke, if he wants to force CoD4 and every other game into 1080p whats it got to do with you, being condescending and talking down to him just makes you look like the ass. Good for you, you can calibrate TVs that doesnt change the fact that he would prefer 1080p wether you think its right or not.

Everyone knows the PS3 doesnt have a hardware scaler whats that gotta do with him wanting to force things into 1080p

I'm giving him advice on how it's not benefiting him, and in most cases will actually be degrading performance/causing artefacts.

Not having a hardware scaler has EVERYTHING to do with forcing resolutions.

Let the PS3 game run in what it's developed to run in, and let your TV do the upscaling if the game chooses 720p, and your TV is 1080p.

That is the "downside" if you want to call if that, of Sony not having a scaler like MS. However as I've said about 3 times now, 90% of decent 1080p sets will handle the upscaling at least on par with the console (360 included).

Edited by Audioboxer