PS3 Update 2.4 Out Now! - Tutorial videos Inside

for one... most people wanted in-game XMB just for the background music and contacting friends while in-game. Those were the most wanted features, and they delivered on both of those.

now why would you want to look at a picture or video while playing a game? Browser I can see being useful and might be implemented in a future release. A lot of stuff they said "No, 2.4 does not do that" they added to it "we are looking into it" such as in-game XMB in legacy titles and DB/BD movies, in-game voice messages, streaming music while in-game. Just read it for you self.

one last thing.. why in the WORLD would you ever need to change your output resolution while in-game? that question just seems totally out of place..... it's like wanting to change your car tires with out stopping...

but of course... there will always be those that all they see is the negative. The only positive thing Kotaku had to say was that audio options can be changed in-game. Why didn't they mention the 2 main features everyone wanted? Or talk about the trophy system with a non-arbitrary point system? :crazy:

By no means am I saying that Sony is perfect, but I am saying that they do infact listen to what the fans want and they are on the right track. I hope the keep up the good work :D

Just saw this on the FAQ new feature has just been added:

haha, yeah I just say that too.

I bet it took them an entire 2min to implement :p

for one... most people wanted in-game XMB just for the background music and contacting friends while in-game. Those were the most wanted features, and they delivered on both of those.

now why would you want to look at a picture or video while playing a game? Browser I can see being useful and might be implemented in a future release. A lot of stuff they said "No, 2.4 does not do that" they added to it "we are looking into it" such as in-game XMB in legacy titles and DB/BD movies, in-game voice messages, streaming music while in-game. Just read it for you self.

one last thing.. why in the WORLD would you ever need to change your output resolution while in-game? that question just seems totally out of place..... it's like wanting to change your car tires with out stopping...

but of course... there will always be those that all they see is the negative. The only positive thing Kotaku had to say was that audio options can be changed in-game. Why didn't they mention the 2 main features everyone wanted? Or talk about the trophy system with a non-arbitrary point system? :crazy:

By no means am I saying that Sony is perfect, but I am saying that they do infact listen to what the fans want and they are on the right track. I hope the keep up the good work :D

haha, yeah I just say that too.

I bet it took them an entire 2min to implement :p

I wonder what the sound will be? Maybe something like http://www.us.playstation.com/PS3 ?

Being able to check a walkthrough on a website, while a game is still running in the background, will be a great feature, if they ever implement it.

All these thing may still appear. Sony have concentrated on getting the XMB available in game, thats done. Cross game invites will come, but at least now you can message and ask them to join you. Changing visual settings, why would you want to? Voice chat is something they are working on, XMB access whilst watching movies/playing PS2 games is something they are working on.... see the pattern??

Sony wanted to get the XMB up and running with improved text messaging. Thats now done. Roll on the next updates to make 2.40 features even better.

All these thing may still appear. Sony have concentrated on getting the XMB available in game, thats done. Cross game invites will come, but at least now you can message and ask them to join you. Changing visual settings, why would you want to? Voice chat is something they are working on, XMB access whilst watching movies/playing PS2 games is something they are working on.... see the pattern??

Sony wanted to get the XMB up and running with improved text messaging. Thats now done. Roll on the next updates to make 2.40 features even better.

well. lets say i am playing COD4 and suddenly remembered that the game allows 1080p and i want to play the game at 1080p... but i dont want to quit and do it because it takes time. therefor a human being might want to change it without quitting the game.

or another scenario... you just played COD4 at 1080p and quit that game and started another game.. and what the heck is that? u forgot to check the 720p in the visual settings and therefor the other game that does not support 1080p plays like crap and you have tu quit the game in order to fix it but an ingame visual setting adjustment would make life easier...

capish?

In Game XMB can only be so much at this late stage. That's what you get for not finalising/finishing this feature before the console came out.

It's nice that it will be here tomorrow though.

We have another Top Gear member it seems.

well. lets say i am playing COD4 and suddenly remembered that the game allows 1080p and i want to play the game at 1080p... but i dont want to quit and do it because it takes time. therefor a human being might want to change it without quitting the game.

or another scenario... you just played COD4 at 1080p and quit that game and started another game.. and what the heck is that? u forgot to check the 720p in the visual settings and therefor the other game that does not support 1080p plays like crap and you have tu quit the game in order to fix it but an ingame visual setting adjustment would make life easier...

capish?

No console in the history of consoles has ever allowed you to do this why are people suddenly jumping on the Sony bashing bandwagon just because its not supported, in fact not all PC games allow you to do this either, some will ask you to restart the game.

No console in the history of consoles has ever allowed you to do this why are people suddenly jumping on the Sony bashing bandwagon just because its not supported, in fact not all PC games allow you to do this either, some will ask you to restart the game.

i amnot saying why they don't have it Hammond. I am just saying it would be nice and people would want it.

you can change resolutions during the game in a pc though.. so why not in ps3?

i am sure in the future they might add this function.

We have another Top Gear member it seems.

yeah. wonder when Tiff Needell will be arriving.

It's not supported by all PC games, there's actually quite a few out there with resolution options locked whilst playing. Some games will even go unstable when you try to.

So you can't really ask this of a game console plus, nobody would have even thought of this feature if it hadn't been mentioned in the blog.

i amnot saying why they don't have it Hammond. I am just saying it would be nice and people would want it.

you can change resolutions during the game in a pc though.. so why not in ps3?

i am sure in the future they might add this function.

yeah. wonder when Tiff Needell will be arriving.

James May will be here, but he is slow.......

With so few resolutions to choose from i dont really see the confusion, if your TV supports 1080p then 1080p will be enabled, you leave all the other resolutions ticked by default as they are, if your TV doesnt support the highest then you untick that and leave the rest ticked by default which they are, there should be no need to go and change the resolution in game.

James May will be here, but he is slow.......

With so few resolutions to choose from i dont really see the confusion, if your TV supports 1080p then 1080p will be enabled, you leave all the other resolutions ticked by default as they are, if your TV doesnt support the highest then you untick that and leave the rest ticked by default which they are, there should be no need to go and change the resolution in game.

Well Hammond... Sony can at least let you choose if a game has 1080p resolution, that setting should be automatically activated even if it is not native.

such as COD4 and MGS4

Well, you can tick both 720p and 1080p in the video options, wouldn't the PS3 select the appropriate resolution for the game then?

Yep. Clarkson clearly hasn't a clue and is either pretending to be thick, or he really has issues.

Well, you can tick both 720p and 1080p in the video options, wouldn't the PS3 select the appropriate resolution for the game then?

yes

but that appropriate resolution is mainly 720p because although some games support 1080p 720p is recommended.

however i want to play the games at 1080p even if it is not recommended over 720p..

and sometimes i forget to uncheck 720p from the visual settings menu. therefore changing resolution in game would be kick ass.

yes

but that appropriate resolution is mainly 720p because although some games support 1080p 720p is recommended.

however i want to play the games at 1080p even if it is not recommended over 720p..

and sometimes i forget to uncheck 720p from the visual settings menu. therefore changing resolution in game would be kick ass.

Why would you want to play a game in a resolution it doesn't support???

Are you deliberately spamming or do you really not understand what you are typing?

Yep. Clarkson clearly hasn't a clue and is either pretending to be thick, or he really has issues.

well you might have issues on following as well...

when u check 720p and 1080p in visual settings how can u play cod4 at 1080p?

u have to UNCHECK 720p from visual settings.

got it?

got it?

Not all games work like that though, if a game doesnt support 1080p and you leave 720p unchecked it will default to 576p for Europe or 480p for America.

Why would you want to play a game in a resolution it doesn't support???

Are you deliberately spamming or do you really not understand what you are typing?

well for your info, cod4 DOES support 1080p. but just 720p is recommended. in 1080p colors are better and i want to play it in 1080p...

got it?

Seeing as COD4 isn't 1080p, why would you want to do this?? Let the PS3 decide what the native resolution is.

Not all games work like that though, if a game doesnt support 1080p and you leave 720p unchecked it will default to 576p for Europe or 480p for America.

yeahthats what i hate... lets say i am playing cod4 at 1080p quit the game and put resistance fall of man.. and here we go.. since i forgot to check back 720p the game will be 576 p and i need to quit the game and check 720 p again...

therefor ingame visual settings would not hurt anyone since u wouldnot quit the game.

Still not going to happen with in game video options, never.

Just get used to ticking it before entering the game.

even if chnging resolution wont happen, still i will email sony and let them add a force 1080p option on that visual settings. so if a game does support 1080p, than i want it to be forced to be displayed at 1080p instead of 720p.

cod4 at 1080p and 720p DOES have differences. 1080p surely looks better.

I dont think its as simple as Sony enabling it, it would probably require a lot of work to the firmware and i dont think many people would use it.