Barclays Premier League

Barclays Premier League 2008/09  

375 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win the Barclays Premier League 2008/09?

• Arsenal
    • Aston Villa
    • Chelsea
    • Everton
    • Liverpool
    • Manchester City
    • Manchester United
    • Portsmouth
    • Tottenham Hotspur
    • Other
  2. 2. Who be relegated from the Barclays Premier League 2008/09 (select 3)?

• Blackburn Rovers
    • Bolton Wanderers
    • Fulham
    • Hull City
    • Middlesbrough
    • Stoke City
    • Sunderland
    • West Bromwich Albian
    • Wigan Athletic
    • Other
  3. 3. Who will be top scorer in the Barclays Premier League 2008/09?

• Benjani
    • Cesc Fabregas
    • Cristiano Ronaldo
    • Didier Drogba
    • Emmanuel Adebayor
    • Fernando Torres
    • Frank Lampard
    • Wayne Rooney
    • Roque Santa Cruz
    • Other

It's not about spending money, it's where it comes from. The likes of united, arsenal, liverpool have money from lots of fans, sponsorships etc, chelsea got theirs from 1 investor.

so they wear samsung on their jersey for free and the stadium gives away tickets? maybe theres something to say about chelseas fans and whether or not they're as worldwide but i don't know about that.

sure abramovich spends a lot but its his to spend. i think football clubs are measured by winning foremost.

its not about the amount there spending but more the rate of return on the investment...chelsea have spent an assload on new big name players( big players, big egos), where as other top 4 clubs have spent less and tried to develop more players(mainly arsenal). though as said hopefully a new coach, kinda like guus will unite players and make them seem less ****ish

so they wear samsung on their jersey for free and the stadium gives away tickets? maybe theres something to say about chelseas fans and whether or not they're as worldwide but i don't know about that.

sure abramovich spends a lot but its his to spend. i think football clubs are measured by winning foremost.

Not saying chelsea don't have sponsorship etc but that came after the bought success, and the amount they get doesn't even cover the players wage bill so hardly money then can use to build.

I think he was talking about the fans not the management.... It's all you ever hear from liverpool fans because they have nothing else to banter about. Sure you beat us by one game for second place in the EPL but I am happy with the FA Cup, knocking you twats out of the CL 2 years in a row and 3rd place rather then getting no silverware at all.

On to next season!

You clown :laugh:

Come back when you actually know something about football and what it means.

I think he was talking about the fans not the management.... It's all you ever hear from liverpool fans because they have nothing else to banter about. Sure you beat us by one game for second place in the EPL but I am happy with the FA Cup, knocking you twats out of the CL 2 years in a row and 3rd place rather then getting no silverware at all.

On to next season!

Like I said then, tell me where in honesty you think your worthless club would be without red rom's millions? You still haven't answered that yet, probably because the answer is too embarrassing for you :laugh:

Your bragging rights will really be enabled when you actually win the trophy rather than constantly bottling it at the most crucial moment. Until then Liverpool still get the last laugh.

Lets just hope they have the sense not to sack him without giving him a chance this time.

Yeah I want to see him given a season then let him go :p

Like I said then, tell me where in honesty you think your worthless club would be without red rom's millions? You still haven't answered that yet, probably because the answer is too embarrassing for you :laugh:

Your bragging rights will really be enabled when you actually win the trophy rather than constantly bottling it at the most crucial moment. Until then Liverpool still get the last laugh.

It's not hard to come to the realization that they would be nothing with out his millions. Just like the new england patriots, new york yankees, every other american football team, etc. Investors are investors. How does liverpool get the last laugh? At least we are getting those chances to win the trophies, they will come eventually.

You are worse than that Turkish dude during the 2006 world cup. You wouldn't know anything about that though. Carry on

It's not hard to come to the realization that they would be nothing with out his millions. Just like the new england patriots, new york yankees, every other american football team, etc. Investors are investors. How does liverpool get the last laugh? At least we are getting those chances to win the trophies, they will come eventually.

You are worse than that Turkish dude during the 2006 world cup. You wouldn't know anything about that though. Carry on

That dude was legendary...his love for Arda Turan was frightening...strange I hear nothing about the player now :p

That dude was legendary...his love for Arda Turan was frightening...strange I hear nothing about the player now :p

He got banned though didn't he? :laugh: There are some great players in Turkish team.. its funny that none of the big clubs are interested in them.. I feel Arda Turan can be great at a big club..

Euro thread was very interesting though :p lol

btw..

A statement on the club's official website confirmed, "Chelsea is delighted to announce that Carlo Ancelotti has agreed to become our new manager."

Regarding details of the Reggiolo-born 49-year-old's contract, the statement continued by indicating that, "He has signed a three year contract and will start on July 1 2009."

I was way off on calling this one :| Lets see if he's better than Scolari though :p

Also..

Real Madrid have reached an agreement to sign Manuel Pellegrini as their new coach for €4 million and the deal will be made official on Tuesday, according to Villarreal's general manager.

Jos? Manuel Llaneza has confirmed that the two clubs have struck a deal that will see the Chilean replace Juande Ramos at the Bernabeu and be Florentino Perez's first big announcement as president.

So what happens to Rijkaard, Ramos and Strachan now? Any rumors? And this also means Wenger stays with us :happy:: Hoping he can turn this trophyless spell around and take us back to glory days.. In Wenger we trust!!.. for not the last time hopefully:pp

Milan, Madrid, Chelsea with new bosses.. UCL will be very interesting this year..

Oh and.. http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archive/season-best

Edited by Kralik

Neither would you, as that happened during Euro 2008.

Arda Turan is a good player mind.

Neither would you, as that happened during Euro 2008.

Arda Turan is a good player mind.

I just bought him on FM for ?5m quite the bargain:pp

damn that was only last year? I could of sworn it was the world cup lol

Looks like your attempt to be a smart alec backfired miserably :laugh:

And why the hell would I have known about it, it happened before I was a member :rolleyes:

Looks like your attempt to be a smart alec backfired miserably :laugh:

And why the hell would I have known about it, it happened before I was a member :rolleyes:

At least he replied, unlike you who ignored me pointing out that Benitez talked about money couple of weeks ago ;)

At least he replied, unlike you who ignored me pointing out that Benitez talked about money couple of weeks ago ;)

I personally don't mind Man Utd splashing out the money they have earned, they deserve it after the success the club has had over the last 15 years.

Benitez is only talking about how it is hard to compete with Man Utd, when for example you can have Tevez, Berbatov, Nani and Anderson on the bench which equates to near ?100 million if you buy Tevez permanately. This is the type of squad depth Liverpool will not have for a few years.

Although I expect every other club in the Premier League will soon be like Man City and Chelsea, a sad situation.

Benitez's comment was about United not chelsea, and as Martyn pointed out it was in a totally different context.

Speaking of money..

England's 20 Premier League clubs owe a total of ?3.1bn in bank overdrafts, loans and other borrowings, according to the latest published financial information. The accounts for the clubs, mostly documenting the year to May, June or July 2008, show that the FA chairman, Lord Triesman, significantly underestimated football's indebtedness when he cautioned last October that debts in the sport as a whole, including the Football League and the FA itself, were at ?3bn.

Manchester United and Chelsea were by far the most indebted, owing ?699m and ?701m respectively, Arsenal were third, with ?416m debts and Liverpool, the other top four club, were understood to owe around ?280m; their accounts, due to be filed at Companies House last week, are overdue.

The debts of those top four clubs, incurred in very different ways, demonstrate the extremes to which Premier League clubs' finances have been tUnited,d, Premier and European Champions League winners in that 2007-08 season, neverthmade a loss of ?44.8m because of the swingeing interest the club pays on its debts. United owed ?699m to financial institutions because the Florida-based Glazer family, who bought the club in 2005 largely with borrowed money, then loaded their own debts on to the club. In just three years to 2008, ?263m has become payable by United in interest alone.lone.

Liverpool's debt is similar, owed by the club's holding company, and including the ?185m borrowed by the north American businessmen, Tom Hicks and George Gillett, when they acquired the club in Chelseahelsea, by no money is owed to banks; the entire ?701m was an interest-free loan made by the club's owner, Roman Abramovich, since he bought Chelsea in 2003.n 2003. The Russian oligarch has poured money in to pay for players whose wages the club would otherwise not be able to afford, in his hunger to claim football trophies. Since the accounts were published, Chelsea, partly as a response to Triesman's warning about high debt levels, announced that Abramovich had reduced his loan to ?339.8m, converting the rest to shares inArsenal is the only Premier League club that incurred significant debt to carry out long-term investment. The club borrowed ?260m originally to build the new Emirates Stadium, and a further ?133m to convert the old Highbury ground into flatsinto flats. Arsenal have been generally admired for prudence because the Emirates, with 60,000 seats ? some very expensive ? generates around double the money Highbury did, but the sales of apartments have stalled in the downturn, not producing the windfall expected when property prices were booming.

Source

That shows modern football in a pretty bad light. Didn't Abramovic fund all of chelsea's transfers essentially out of his own pocket, making Chelsea's debt a little bit more of a non issue?

That shows modern football in a pretty bad light. Didn't Abramovic fund all of chelsea's transfers essentially out of his own pocket, making Chelsea's debt a little bit more of a non issue?

I think so not sure on that one

He is a billionaire, because of all the money he makes from oil.

He gave Chelsea an interest free loan, so he could largely seperate his liability from the club.