Barclays Premier League

Barclays Premier League 2008/09  

375 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win the Barclays Premier League 2008/09?

• Arsenal
    • Aston Villa
    • Chelsea
    • Everton
    • Liverpool
    • Manchester City
    • Manchester United
    • Portsmouth
    • Tottenham Hotspur
    • Other
  2. 2. Who be relegated from the Barclays Premier League 2008/09 (select 3)?

• Blackburn Rovers
    • Bolton Wanderers
    • Fulham
    • Hull City
    • Middlesbrough
    • Stoke City
    • Sunderland
    • West Bromwich Albian
    • Wigan Athletic
    • Other
  3. 3. Who will be top scorer in the Barclays Premier League 2008/09?

• Benjani
    • Cesc Fabregas
    • Cristiano Ronaldo
    • Didier Drogba
    • Emmanuel Adebayor
    • Fernando Torres
    • Frank Lampard
    • Wayne Rooney
    • Roque Santa Cruz
    • Other

Personally I think they'll still struggle without investment in their squad. This match just highlighted their woeful lack of firepower and pace.

Shearer IMO is one of the few people associated with Newcastle that should come out of this blameless. He was appointed far too late in the day for my liking to ever have any realistic chance of saving the club. He did his very best and what he had at his club wasn't good enough.

Newcastle need changes on many levels. They need consistency in management (IE a manager that actually lasts an entire season), they need a new, younger squad that have the hunger and passion that the current squad appeared to lack, and they need changes in the back room.

Newcastle getting relegated isn't a surprise to me, but it is a disappointment. Those in charge need to look at what the club used to be, and what it has turned into, and they need to read the riot act and pull the club back together again.

We have a bright future with those youngs lads. And the goal by Gibson is brilliant. He will be huge at United in the years to come.

Can't believe a club the size of Newcastle is being relegated but they just haven't been good enough. Glad Hull avoided the drop though, dunno why but I've always quite liked them.

Shearer IMO is one of the few people associated with Newcastle that should come out of this blameless. He was appointed far too late in the day for my liking to ever have any realistic chance of saving the club. He did his very best and what he had at his club wasn't good enough.

Newcastle need changes on many levels. They need consistency in management (IE a manager that actually lasts an entire season), they need a new, younger squad that have the hunger and passion that the current squad appeared to lack, and they need changes in the back room.

Newcastle getting relegated isn't a surprise to me, but it is a disappointment. Those in charge need to look at what the club used to be, and what it has turned into, and they need to read the riot act and pull the club back together again.

You've summed my thoughts up perfectly. I hope he stays, because he's the only good thing that's going for the club. Need rid of Ashley and his pals first and foremost. He's ran the club like a business rather than a football team, and he's brought nothing but bad press.

Did you just see his interview on Sky Sports? You can see how hurt he is.

Sadly I don't have Sky but as a Fan of the club as well as a manager this failure will undoubtedly hurt him, but as I said when he looks back at it, I feel he will realise there was little that he could have done. I mean everything he threw at today's match just failed.

Sad day when a club like Newcastle go down, but this could be good for them in a way if it galvanises them into sorting the back room mess out. Will watch with interest to see how they get on next season

We have a bright future with those youngs lads. And the goal by Gibson is brilliant. He will be huge at United in the years to come.

Yep, they performed better than some people thought, pretty much what I predicted would happen. Newcastle and Boro can have no complaints because United did their bit to help them by winning.

Alan Shearer is the one person (aside from Kevin Keegan) who the fans won't turn on. Personally, I feel Ashley (needs to go, but he won't!) needs to run along as fast as his legs will carry him and practically grovel to Keegan to get him back and appoint Shearer as his number 2. If those 2 got together, then Newcastle have a chance. Otherwise, personally I see it as a up hill struggle.

Only one man can truly bring Newcastle back to form IMO. His name is Kevin Keegan! Shearer himself just doesn't have the experience.

I still think Shearer should have pulled the rabbit out of the hat and put himself on the teamsheet! :p

I found it pretty amusing that Newcastle went down through an own goal. I am glad they are gone to be honest, getting relegated is the best thing that could have happened to them. Everything about the club needs changing, from the playing staff to those behind the scenes. The only person who should remain at the club is Shearer. Newcastle need to find some young hungry players who actually have a little bit of passion.

Glad to see Liverpool wrap up second, but I'm still gutted to see Sami going :(

Don't know if I should call it an own goal or not.. it was an own goal technically.. but he went to save the shot.. anyways they went down but just 1 goal.. one would assume looking at their front line.. that they have atleast 1 goal in them.. but they looked beaten right from the whistle..

Sunderland fans - just remember to put the cheque in the post, care of Martin O'Neil, Next England Manager, Villa Park :) To be honest, I think Newcastle were lucky, we could, and had we taken the chances, would, have hammered 'em, and sent 'em down in style.

I'm actually in two minds about Newcastle, to be honest. Part of me wants 'em todo a Leeds, and completely self-destruct, the other part wants to see Shearer get together a consortium of proper Newcastle fans to take hold of the club, get rid of most of the squad (starting with Barton who should be chucked in jail), built up a team that actually want to win, with as much passion as the Newcastle fans, invest wisely (pun intended there), and get back into the Premier League.

Oh, and I know everyone has probably read this / heard it already, but I've gotta post it:

What's the difference between Alan Shearer, and Newcastle? Shearer will be on Match of the Day next season :)

Newcastle will have to unload their whole squad.

Owen will be first out the door.

Problem is, he is a liability, always injured and only interested in the monies.

I think Newcastle will be playing in league one this time next season.

Sunderland manager Ricky Sbragia has resigned from the club despite the Black Cats avoiding relegation.

Sbragia stood down immediately after the side secured their Premier League status following a 3-2 loss to Chelsea.

"I do feel that the club needs a bigger name," said Sbragia. "I took over in a difficult situation. I was asked to keep the club up and I achieved that.

"I could've been selfish and stayed on but I felt it was best for the club for me to step down."

Sbragia took over as boss following the departure of Roy Keane in December 2008.

He initially looked set to guide the club comfortably clear of relegation with two wins in his first three games.

Newcastle will have to unload their whole squad.

Owen will be first out the door.

Problem is, he is a liability, always injured and only interested in the monies.

I think Newcastle will be playing in league one this time next season.

That's the problem I have, everytime he's linked with a move to the Villa. Personally I'd have no problem with Owen coming to Villa Park, 'cause I think he still has something to offer, and I think MoN is the kinda manager who can get the performances out of him - but he'd have to take a big, big wage cut, in order for it to make financial sense.

I bet he wishes he'd never left Liverpool - he leaves and they win the Champions League, he does bugger all at Real Madrid, then comes to Newcastle, and they get relegated.

Owen is past his best. IMO all the injuries have taken it out of him. Great player in his day, and did Liverpool a great service, but he isn't in the same league as Torres now.

Owen can't take all the blame though, apart from Shearer everything about Newcastle is just all wrong at the moment. They say you lose together and win together, and this applies particularly here

Wolves, Birmingham and Burnley!

I am so happy for Burnley what a year it has been for them! and nothing makes me happy to see Sheff Utd fail :D

I am so happy for Burnley what a year it has been for them! and nothing makes me happy to see Sheff Utd fail :D

+1!

I wonder if Sheffield Utd will try to sue us again for not getting promoted! :rofl:

I wanted to see Cardiff or Preston NE in premiership but glad to see Burnley breakthrough..

on another note.. what a day is was for Sunderland fans yesterday.. I met one on the bus this morning.. he was over the moon at Newcastle failing and them staying up :) Just a 1-0 to Newcastle would've changed a lot.. its a cruel game football.. but we love it :p

I found it pretty amusing that Newcastle went down through an own goal. I am glad they are gone to be honest, getting relegated is the best thing that could have happened to them. Everything about the club needs changing, from the playing staff to those behind the scenes. The only person who should remain at the club is Shearer. Newcastle need to find some young hungry players who actually have a little bit of passion.

Glad to see Liverpool wrap up second, but I'm still gutted to see Sami going :(

yeah liverpool got second which is honestly a little dissapointing considering the way we started the season. We are soo close, hopefully we can scoop up Teves. I love him and he would give us some much needed depth. In my opinion Dirk shouldn't be a striker, but an attacking midfielder on the wings. Teves behind Torres would make a great combo.

Martyn what do you think we need?

And speaking of new kits, thank god Liverpool got rid of those gray ones (ugly...) and went with black with gold lettering (not a big fan of the lettering).

liverpool-away-shirt-09-10.jpg

I loved these ones (especially mine with gerrard on the back!)

LiverpoolEuro.jpg

I wish they would go back to them

In my opinion Dirk shouldn't be a striker, but an attacking midfielder on the wings. Teves behind Torres would make a great combo.

+1 I've been saying that for ages about Dirk.. also Tevez with Torres will be a strong partnership.. they both could understand each other a bit better and what I like about them is what we miss.. they are not afraid of defenders tackling them.. I feel Liverpool should also get rid of Babel and get Pennent back.. and hold on to Xabi or get Barry

and welcome back to this thread..