Official Nintendo E3 Discussion Thread

You guys have horrible horrible memories. Last year smash bros brawl was announced after the press conference in a closed door round table meeting.

I wouldnt be surprised if they do it again. They have something listed for nintendo tommorrow closer to the end of the day (the official e3 website) so they might just do it again.

5pm:Nintendo Exclusive Developer Discussion

That's another good point too. Especially since they said "here on stage we will only discuss 3 new games". They left it sorta open ended.

It's a moral battlefield, and the risk involved with giving your core audience the middle finger.

Their core audiance is not "Hardcore gamers".

That's not cool. We don't expect a PS3 or 360, but we do expect a better balance, at least one giving us a little more in terms of hardcore games.
On all Nintendo systems, these sorts of games have come from 3rd party devs.
Yes, Nintendo are getting smug and pompous about riding the casual wave, but it shouldn't mean they completely shut off the people who did buy into their console over the last few years.
So the droves of casual gamers who bought a Wii didn't actually buy it?
All they had to do was throw the hardcore a bone of some sorts, but they really didn't. Even hint at a new Mario/Metroid/Zelda or confirm they are being worked on if it's to early to debut them.
We're getting to a point in gaming where "building anticipation" can be just as damaging as it can be advantageous. Considering how ruthless gaming journalism has been to the Wii and it's casual focus since it premiered, it only makes sense to expect a more guarded Nintendo.

The Wii is just one of those things where you either get it or you don't.

^

Just correct my meaning of "core" - I'm talking about people who invested in Nintendo before the casual wave/casual games.

As for your comment on 3rd parties, Nintendo aren't doing a good job of encouraging any of them to do anything outside of party games/mini games.

Nintendo can be as guarded as they want, but they're starting to annoy some people, on a fairly big scale.

However it's their console, they can do whatever the heck they want with it. If it's going to be a casual console with very little for hardcore gamers, we need to live with that.

It's only met with a heavy "goodbye" due to what some of us seen on Nintendo platforms in the past. If the N64 and Gamecube had been casual consoles like the Wii, none of these discussions would be happening.

They weren't though, and Nintendo picked up some hardcore followers from them, they now seem to not care THAT much about at times.

Very underwhelmed by Nintendo's offering, but to be honest I haven't been genuinely excited about Nintendo for a while now and I MAKE games for their bloody console.

It's up to Sony now, I hope they do their best to trump Microsoft, mainly because it'll be the most epic comeback ever, if it happens.

^

Just correct my meaning of "core" - I'm talking about people who invested in Nintendo before the casual wave/casual games.

AFAIK, WiiSports was the console's launch title. Don't try to tell me the "hardcore" was supposed to come first.
As for your comment on 3rd parties, Nintendo aren't doing a good job of encouraging any of them to do anything outside of party games/mini games.
3rd party devs need to (and some will) adjust their strategies to the Wii and it's humongous market, not vice versa.

The problem (and surly one nintendo anticipated) is that it's soooo different than the 360 and ps3 right now that it's just too hard to port games over to it.

It's only met with a heavy "goodbye" due to what some of us seen on Nintendo platforms in the past. If the N64 and Gamecube had been casual consoles like the Wii, none of these discussions would be happening.
Given what the PSOne and PC gaming were doing at the time, I don't see how the N64 could be considered a "hardcore" gaming system.

The gamecube, certainly not.

Nintendo has just continued on this diverging path that they started to go down back in the n64 days (somewhat do to that console's hardware limitations). If you are somehow surprised by this, that is honestly entirely your fault.

If you are somehow surprised by this, that is honestly entirely your fault.

I'm anything but surprised.

But I did think after the flak Nintendo has been receiving from some of the hardcore crowds, they'd do a bit more for them at E3 - Even if it was just to chuck them a bone and shut them up for a while.

I'm anything but surprised.
Really? Your arguments really don't sound like you've anticipated Nintendo's casual focus.
But I did think after the flak Nintendo has been receiving from some of the hardcore crowds, they'd do a bit more for them at E3 - Even if it was just to chuck them a bone and shut them up for a while.

That's not where the money comes easiest, apparently.

Ask Sony. :p

So here I am at work, kinda bored...

Should I watch this conference or not?

Don't bother, you didn't miss anything earth shattering. Wiimote addition makes it more sensitive, that's about it.

So that and Animal Crossing is all I've heard. Has there really been nothing else exciting announced? :(

So that and Animal Crossing is all I've heard. Has there really been nothing else exciting announced? :(

Dude you have to watch it. There's this awesome jam session at the end of the conference. The music is so awesome, you have to hear it to believe it.

Yeah, that's it... Unfortunately I watched it...

Is it me or is there no skill involved in Wii Music?

Some rhythm skill involved (moving/hitting in the right timing), hence why the live demo on stage was pretty out of sync at times.

But no, not really any skill involved.

Again I must say that the "Nintendo neglects the hardcore" and the "Wii has only shovelware/too much shovelware" arguments, while they have some merit at their core (no pun intended), are overstated.

Examples:

-Eternal Darkness

-Tales of Symphonia

-Viewtiful Joe

-Ikaruga

-MGS: Twin Snakes

-P.N. 03

-Baten Kaitos

-Assloads of Resident Evil games

Most or all of these GC titles can be considered "hardcore games." Ikaruga can DEFINITELY be considered a "hardcore game." Most came from third-party developers, this is true, but the fact of the matter is that they are available to Nintendo console owners. Likewise:

-Red Steel

-NiGHTS

-No More Heroes

-Baroque

-Medal of Honor

-Far Cry: Vengeance

-Tales of Symphonia 2 (upcoming)

-Arc Rise Fantasia (upcoming)

These are all available, or soon to be available, on the Wii. These, too, can be considered "hardcore games."

With respect to Nintendo themselves, it's true that they have been doing more party games, puzzle games, and the like, but they still release quality "hardcore" titles from time to time. The Metroids, the Zeldas (yes, including Wind Waker - has anyone actually played it?), to perhaps a lesser extent the Marios and Smash Brotherses, and some others are definitely hardcore games. Personally I don't mind a more sparse release schedule from Nintendo because the amount of polish they put on their own games is always very high, and they don't believe in releasing shoddy work.

Also, can someone please name some of the "shovelware" titles that have supposedly been plaguing the Wii since its inception? I'm open to the idea that they exist, but I haven't seen many on the shelf at my game store. This leads me to believe that the complaint is, while I'll stop short of saying "unfounded," exaggerated considerably.

So yes, the Wii is a hardcore and next-gen system. It happens to be one with a few drawbacks (lesser computational power than its competition), a different game lineup (pick-up-n-play games mixed with traditional games), and an innovative control scheme that does go above and beyond "waggling replaces button-mashing" in evolving the mechanics of human-game interaction.

No matter what our opinions are, imitation is the highest form of flattery, and M$ showed yesterday, that they are trying to emulate some of their advances.

Yea i really loved the "Where else could you get an avatar creation system but on Xbox Live?" from an developer.

post-78314-1216238480.jpg

http://videogames.yahoo.com/events/e3-2008...8-blogs/1227326