WiMax Vs WiFi

Hello..Malaysia will providing WiMax services to Malaysian's soon. Do you WiMax is able to provide better connection speed compare to WiFi?

Hello..Malaysia will providing WiMax services to Malaysian's soon. Do you WiMax is able to provide better connection speed compare to WiFi?

Seems like the bandwidth for WiFi is around 11MBps while WiMax is 70MBps. Is this true?

Seems like the bandwidth for WiFi is around 11MBps while WiMax is 70MBps. Is this true?

Hmm...Yeah..WiMAX has a theoretical maximum bandwidth of 75Mbps. :rolleyes:

It should be mentioned that draft N will be finished by the end of next year. (Kinda freaky to have hardware products out there based on several different drafts...)

WiMax is meant for distance or mobile, not close range applications, so that pretty much sums it up.

11b is 11mbps, 11g is 54mbps, draft 11n is 248mbps

WiMax can't offer full speed at long range, so although it is a different class of tech, that doesn't always make it a better option.

Yup ... I agreed with you man !

Because of different level of technology and actually development technology is aimed for different target !

WIFI is more usage on Wireless Local Area Network those kinda purpose to link up people in same network !

WiMax is focus on service provide and take it as an alternative broadband that replace the landlines^^

Any idea on how far its range is? Currently, there are doing some testing at my area where I live. Didn't manage to catch them and ask yet.

supposedly the range is like 50-70km...compared to wifi only 10m. At my home, my wifi can't even get after 5m not to say 10m coz of walls and other things in the way. imagine you have wimax at home and drive 50km away still can surf.

The range may be something towards 10mbps over 10km according to the Wiki. Mobile WiMax will be different though, so if you drive 50km away from home you're not bloody likely to have any signal at all. Even if you had the equipment for point to point, you'd have to have damn expensive equipment for the base station I'd bet.

Edited by randomevent

supposedly the range is like 50-70km...compared to wifi only 10m. At my home, my wifi can't even get after 5m not to say 10m coz of walls and other things in the way. imagine you have wimax at home and drive 50km away still can surf.

Wow! Even if its half that range, that would be awesome! But then living in Malaysia, with the rain..sigh..will affect the signal, you reckon?

Because of the wireless technology getting better and better!

Yes Raining still will affect the connection because it is very normal and limitation for wireless technology!

BUT ...

WiMax still ROCKING during rainny day!

The quality will be affected but not so badly and still acceptable!

Let's hope so. *fingers crossed* Anyone managed to test it during the trial testing phase?

When is PC Fair? I think some service providers will be bringing the modem for home use and usb modems for mobile use, hopefully on the spot it can be tested and shown the speed.

You might want to consider changing your wireless modem or router then. Else try some signal boosting ideas, like getting 3rd part firmware for your router or make something that can improve your antenna. If rains will affect WiMAX's connection quality, I will not consider subscribing at all as it rains quite often at my place.

Just wondering... some of these posts... different user name, same person?

Not sure about the others, but definitely not me :rolleyes: I register to reply on the iTunes bloatware thread, and lurk around here.

I'm thinking of Starbucks for some reason. If WiMAX were to be good and cheap, and many subscribe to it, will it affect Starbucks's business?

Most people visit Starbucks for good coffee + free Wifi. Now that they no longer need to Wifi, they can easily look for another coffee house with a better coffees and cheaper price. (Yeah, at my place it's like half of the Starbucks customer have laptops with them).

You might want to consider changing your wireless modem or router then. Else try some signal boosting ideas, like getting 3rd part firmware for your router or make something that can improve your antenna. If rains will affect WiMAX's connection quality, I will not consider subscribing at all as it rains quite often at my place.

Well, my modem is linksys with double booster antenna. I did consider getting another booster long time ago, but tested it and didn't work well. My modem is upstairs while pc is downstairs that is using wifi.

Pikom PC Fair is on 1 - 3 August 2008 in KL Convention Centre, Kuala Lumpur ;)

Thanks. Looks like I'll be going to check out what WiMAX can and cannot do. Anyone else going? Let's meet up and check it out together?

Well, my modem is linksys with double booster antenna. I did consider getting another booster long time ago, but tested it and didn't work well. My modem is upstairs while pc is downstairs that is using wifi.

I'm using Tomato firmware to boost the output power of my router a little. You might want to try it.

Thanks. Looks like I'll be going to check out what WiMAX can and cannot do. Anyone else going? Let's meet up and check it out together?

Are the maps of the booths location out? It's a headache to search for one particular company in the PC fair. I haven't been to one in some time, might just go and check it out.

I'm using Tomato firmware to boost the output power of my router a little. You might want to try it.

Tomato firmware eh..never heard of it till now, ok will most probably check this out...thanks

Define soon, as according to my sources it will not be launched at the end of the year. Next year however, is a different matter.

Scirwode

Define soon, as according to my sources it will not be launched at the end of the year. Next year however, is a different matter.

Scirwode

It will be in just months IMO, since free trial will be rolling out in PC fair. Somewhere around August or September I would say, but not sure about the coverage at that time.

Are the maps of the booths location out? It's a headache to search for one particular company in the PC fair. I haven't been to one in some time, might just go and check it out.

I don't think its out yet but I could be wrong. Searched online for it but couldn't find it. I guess when it's nearing, they will provide the booths location. Wondering if all four companies will be there to give a sneak preview on WiMAX.